Print Thread
Hop To
S
sbrmike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have a 1983 Remington 870 Wingmaster Magnum with the 30 inch Full Choke 3 inch magnum Vent Rib Barrel. Is that barrel compatible, recommended, etc. for todays non-toxic shot? I also have a 28 inch RemChoke barrel 2-3/4 and 3" Magnum Vent Rib barrel that I use for most hunting. I have never hunted waterfowl of any kind in my life but I may get around to it one of these days.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I believe it to be compatible with steel shot. I would not expect it to pattern well and would probably have a gunsmith relieve some of the choke in order to make it do what I wanted to do. Easily and inexpensively done.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I would say that only Rem-Choke equipped barrels are steel or tungsten shot compatible. Bismuth and ITX-10 non-tox shot would work, however (for pass shooting?). Luckily, you have a 28" version handy already. I have the same 870 version, too. It has a new Limbsaver pad and a 26" Wingmaster Light Contour barrel for use on the pheasant fields (I'm in the State of Kalifornication, so all non-tox now). I like mine a lot. Enjoy it!
Mark&Belle

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The Full choke barrels are safe with steel shot but I would not use sizes larger than #3 steel as there is a possibility of bulging the barrel. It is unlikely to burst but the bulge will be noticeable to the naked eye. Patterns also tend to be rather poor when one uses more choke than called for.

The same can be said for the other harder than lead alternatives though bismuth, tungsten/poly, and a few of the other shot types would be perfectly safe.

Your Rem-choke barrel would be just fine for non-toxic shot though I would hesitate to use the Full choke as it could be damaged if using large shot. In any event, I have not found Full to be condusive for best patterns with large shot so wouldn't consider it to be a factor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
The Full choke barrels are safe with steel shot but I would not use sizes larger than #3 steel as there is a possibility of bulging the barrel. It is unlikely to burst but the bulge will be noticeable to the naked eye. Patterns also tend to be rather poor when one uses more choke than called for.

The same can be said for the other harder than lead alternatives though bismuth, tungsten/poly, and a few of the other shot types would be perfectly safe.

Your Rem-choke barrel would be just fine for non-toxic shot though I would hesitate to use the Full choke as it could be damaged if using large shot. In any event, I have not found Full to be condusive for best patterns with large shot so wouldn't consider it to be a factor.

+1

I would get the long barrel tubed, personally.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bump to clear spam off of the homepage

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Here is what the Remington site says (just copied/pasted)

We do not recommend the use of steel shot through any barrel manufactured before 1963 or through any barrel having a fixed Full choke. Anything larger would not perform well out of a fixed full choke and could open up your muzzle over time.

If you have barrels manufactured after 1963, with fixed Modified or Improved Cylinder chokes, you may shoot up to size #2 steel shot. The use of steel shot larger than size #2 is only recommended in modern barrels with the Rem Choke system.

If you have the Rem Choke system, you may shoot any size steel through the Improved Cylinder and Modified choke tubes. The Full choke tube must state "For Steel or Lead" to be capable of handling steel shot.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
FWIW I killed a lot of geese w a Magnum 1100 with a fixed full choke bbl.
3" Bismuth #2's.
Dropped em like wet washrags at 50 yards.
Was expensive back in the mid 90's ................got it on sale for $17 a box of 10 rounds.
But it worked way better than BBB steel from my 3.5" 835.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My hunting bud had a fixed choke 870 Magnum Wingmaster.
Picked up some like new Remchoke 870 Express bbl for 80 bucks.
Should be plenty around for not much money.
That's what I'd do.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Back before the 870 express Remington brought out the Sportsman 12 with a fixed choke vent rib barrel for 2 years. On the 3rd year they put the Vent ribbed Rem choke barrel on it. I bought one of those used ,dirty but in good mechanical shape for $165. I pulled the barrel off it and put it on my Magnum model Wingmaster to replace the 30" VR full choke barrel. That spring I took the rest of the sportsman 12 and put it sans any barrel on my gunshow table and sold it for $135, yup got $30 in a VR Rem choke barrel. I could have kept it and put a slug barrel on it to, lotsa options when you think on it some.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Sportsman 12 pump and auto had round top receivers, there was no flat at the top like an Express.
Guys making deer guns liked em for the extra scope base thread or two.
I had the auto, worked fine. The one I bought used had a Special Field 21" Remchoke bbl on it.

There was a Magnum and standard model of Sportsman pump.
Dunno what differences there might have been in receiver.
According to Remington,all Express 12 were on magnum receiver.

Last edited by hookeye; 03/07/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sbrmike
I have a 1983 Remington 870 Wingmaster Magnum with the 30 inch Full Choke 3 inch magnum Vent Rib Barrel. Is that barrel compatible, recommended, etc. for todays non-toxic shot? I also have a 28 inch RemChoke barrel 2-3/4 and 3" Magnum Vent Rib barrel that I use for most hunting. I have never hunted waterfowl of any kind in my life but I may get around to it one of these days.
The Remington Wingmaster fixed full choke barrels are fine for standard velocity Steel shot up to #2 steel. 1 1/8oz 1550fps or 1 1/4oz 1425fps will work. Any Bismuth load up to BB is safe. Before Remington came out with Hypersteel they published the #2 steel certification for many year.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back when I duck hunted the rough rule of thumb was to drop down a choke when you shot steel. Example would be if you want a full choke lead shot----the drop to a mod choke when you used steel. If you want a mod choke lead----then drop down to an imp cyl with steel.

Theory was that steel didn't compress like lead shot. Too much constriction would blow the patterns with steel shot.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have two older Wingmasters. Both have received RemChoke barrel upgrades.
I have two older 1100’s. Both have received RemChoke barrel upgrades.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 1,696 guests, and 696 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.