Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
My wife and I are going to be in Fairbanks sometime in late June or early July. We are driving up and have no set schedule other than some fishing and kayaking around Seward in mid June. Also spending a couple of days around Homer, visiting a niece and her family in Wasilla (hopefully do some salmon fishing with them), a few days around Denali, then up to Fairbanks before going up to Prudhoe. Is there anything in Fairbanks that we should be sure to see or do? Thanks, Al

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can go see Santa's house I think it's called in North Pole if you are into that type of thing. I've only been to Fairbanks in the fall for sporting events when my oldest was in high school. You should have plenty of fishing in the Valley during your time there. Of course, if you are there later in July, the silvers will be running.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
You might be there in time to run in the Midnight Sun 10K. If not a runner, it’s is also a spectator sport as many participants are costumed.

If I go antique cars, see this:
https://www.fountainheadmuseum

I prefer to just drink beer on 2legit2quit’s deck.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Prudhoe is not a very exciting destination but the journey can be scenic if your vehicle can withstand it.

A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for the replies.

Hudge, my wife has North Pole on the list.
Ironbender, I'm more of a walker than a runner. Preferably with a rifle or shotgun in hand, but if the run is going on, we'll certainly find a spot to watch.
Vern, the only reason we are driving up to Prudhoe is for the scenery and to dip a toe in the Arctic ocean. Looks like we will have to take a tour to actually get to the ocean once we get to Prudhoe Bay. Long ride up from Fairbanks, but hell, we're driving all the way from Michigan; a couple of extra days on the road to do something I'll probably never get to do again should be worth it.......I hope. Lol

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
acy,

I'm not sure who does the Prudhoe tour thing but it sounds like you're on top of it.
As long as your driving from MI, be sure to take the back roads in the Yukon Territory.
Whitehorse to Dawson City is nice and across the Top Of The World to Tok. If you
hit it right, you can take the ferry from Skagway to Haines so you don't have to backtrack.

Avoid Delta Junction at all costs....nothing but ornery, old bastids there!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
There is a walking division also. I've done it a number of times. Flat course.
It starts with a cannon shot at 10PM...in broad daylight.

It ends about midnight (walkers) in waning daylight.

Riverboat Discovery should be running. Do a search.

Be sure to hit Hot Licks ice cream on College road.

Last edited by ironbender; 03/24/19.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Chena hot springs
Gold dredge in Fox
UAF museum

Last edited by las; 03/24/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stop at Pioneer Park for a saunter... can be quite brief or you can stretch it out. Lots of old original buildings preserved there, many used as souvenir shops, little old steam train, big old sterneheeler which once plied the Tanana and Yukon Rivers. The parking lot is a good alternative to the Walmart parking lot if you have a camper.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We have a shop in Pioneer park. There are a lot of different things that we can guide you to do. All I can say is do not say you are for gun control or hate Trump in our shop. My wife who runs the place will go straight postal and kick you out.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We enjoyed both the University of Fairbanks museum and Pioneer Park, I highly recommend both.

Hope you are making time for Denali on your trip, I have seen it twice when it was not obscured by clouds - a rare treat.

Hint - However much time you have allocated for your trip, double it. Being that this is your first trip you will find lots of things to see that will make you wish you had more time.

p.s. - try to spend a couple of days in Whitehorse on the way, quite a bit to see there also.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Midnight sun 10k, the North Pole, Alaska salmon bake.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if'n you are in Wasilla early enough in June go out and fish the Willow for Kings. combat fishing at its best. PP and the Museum are worth it.
if you go through Delta Junction i have 5 acres there i have never seen i will sell you cheap laugh

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by kaboku68
We have a shop in Pioneer park. There are a lot of different things that we can guide you to do. All I can say is do not say you are for gun control or hate Trump in our shop. My wife who runs the place will go straight postal and kick you out.
[Linked Image]

Nice looking shop. We'll be sure to stop in while at Pioneer park. Probably take in the salmon bake, too. I don't even kidd about gun control. It's a dirty phrase. Trump is the first president that I voted for instead of just voting against the democrat.

A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
There is a walking division also. I've done it a number of times. Flat course.
It starts with a cannon shot at 10PM...in broad daylight.

It ends about midnight (walkers) in waning daylight.

Riverboat Discovery should be running. Do a search.

Be sure to hit Hot Licks ice cream on College road.

Will certainly check the walkers division of the 10k if it happens while we are there. We saw the ad for Riverboat Discovery in Guideposts. Going to look into it.

A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by VernAK
acy,

I'm not sure who does the Prudhoe tour thing but it sounds like you're on top of it.
As long as your driving from MI, be sure to take the back roads in the Yukon Territory.
Whitehorse to Dawson City is nice and across the Top Of The World to Tok. If you
hit it right, you can take the ferry from Skagway to Haines so you don't have to backtrack.

Avoid Delta Junction at all costs....nothing but ornery, old bastids there!

The way we have things sort of mapped out we plan on going from Fairbanks to Tok to Dawson City on the way home, so it looks like we might not be able to avoid Delta Junction. Might be a good stop for fuel and lunch. I should be okay, though. I'm not sure if I'm old at 58, but I'm sure as heck ornery!🙂

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You're way young but ornery will get you in the gate!

If'n you want easy grayling fishing check out the Delta Clearwater RIver......good campground and close to my house.

I leave Alaska in the summer and head for YT [Yukon Territory] to avoid tourists.....hint!

Dining in Delta is difficult....try the Drive-in.....decent chicken burger.....otherwise try Half-Fast Eddies in Tok.
Grub in western Canada can be difficult.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Was only there 3 weeks in late winter and worked every day, but seems like I ate at a decent place called the Pump House, or something like that. Other than that I just made money.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Pump House is good.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
River Boat Discovery has a gift shop wherein you can put $5 or more in a vending slot and enter a walk-in freezer to experience -40F.

I kid you not!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

618 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 66 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,272
Posts18,448,347
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.