Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moosemike
Are the Blacktail seasons open during the beginning of October? I was just thinking I have the first 10 days of October off work because I'm in for WY antelope. Even though I have PP I don't think the draw odds are 100% but they are close. But I will need a back up plan if I don't draw.

The CA A Zone season runs from the 2nd Saturday in August for 44 consecutive days which makes it end around the 20 something of September. You have to apply for the tags but they have never reached quota. The northern area of Ca around Mendocino county is some of the best hunting. From SF Bay southwards the lions have been hammering the herds. The rut kicks in towards the later half of September making them easier to hunt. There are seasons open later in Ca but those are primarily mule deer areas.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
2nd deer I ever killed, and still my best blacktail

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Great thread, and I hate to be the downer, but the reality is in extreme northern Calif, Shasta and Siskiyou Co's many factors have conspired to decimate the Blacktail population. Check the stats before you book a hunt. Probably the highest mortality for incidental kills is ancient migration routes between high country and winter range, are transected by high speed highways. Cal-Trans in Yreka district used to respond, 10 yrs ago to 20+ dead deer a day. Now they tell me it's 1 or 2 a week. Change in predator hunting laws, mountain lions..nope, black bears..no dogs or bait, nope. And then, after the numbers were decimated and the reported numbers of legal kills was down alarmingly, the CDFW continued to sell 2 tags per hunter with an unlimited quota. The B zones were the cash cow of the CDFW, have to keep the cash flowing in to fund the study of non game species. And, now of course, oh joy, we have wolves. How many predators can any species withstand at the top of the food chain?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wa and Oregon tags are otc mike. Dunno about California

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Oregon has some good hunts. Honestly any blacktail hunt around here can be a winner.

LOL
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Honestly any blacktail hunt around here can be a winner.

This.

The deer on this thread are epic monsters compared to typical rain-forest deer.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ryoushi
It's rare to see a buck like this in the daylight. His little head was doing the thinking for him this day...

[Linked Image]

ryoyshi;
Good afternoon - almost - to you sir, I hope the weekend has been treating you acceptably and this finds you well.

Thanks for posting the photo, it looks to me like he's what would be considered a cranker either on the Gulf Islands or Vancouver Island where I've seen/hunted most of the Columbia Blacktail I've encountered.

In those locales, the deer themselves are quite a bit smaller overall than the ones Steve hunts up by Whistler and Pemberton.

Going off of a bit of a foggy memory, I'd say the 2 point I killed on Salt Spring Island way back in the day went about 75-80 lb carcass weight and the locals who saw it said it was a pretty decent buck. There was one hanging I looked at which must have gone a bit more than 90lb carcass and had a rack almost the size of the one in your photo, but I don't recall the bases being quite that thick.

As my friend Okanagan said, they're a different breed of cat than even the whitetail I've chased in a couple provinces, though to me they much more mirrored whitetail responses to seeing people/pressure, etc. than anything a mulie has ever done around me.

The biggest bodied Columbia Blacktail I've ever seen was outside our daughter's dorm room window at the University of Victoria! It was by my estimate about a hand higher at the withers than any other bucks on campus - and there's no shortage of them there either I must add.

Thanks again for the photo and thanks for the thread and those who've contributed. It's interesting reading everyone's experiences and how they differ.

All the best to you all as spring continues to show up.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 04/07/19.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Santiam Unit blacktails, both taken 2nd to the last day of the season.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 04/07/19.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
A-Zone a few seasons ago on California central coast
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
[Linked Image]

Oh boy that gets my blood going. looks familiar.

I've hunted Santiam and McKenzie a good bit. This one was a McKenzie unit buck. Most of the big bucks I used to hunt there had the crab claw points.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Fireball2; 04/07/19.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fireball2, you have sure killed some really great blacktails. I struggle most years to even see a legal buck, they are just evil little deer but man is it nice when you do finally find a good buck!!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Fireball2, you have sure killed some really great blacktails. I struggle most years to even see a legal buck, they are just evil little deer but man is it nice when you do finally find a good buck!!!

Evil little deer, I hafta remember that one! Yeah, lots of fun to hunt.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman
Wa and Oregon tags are otc mike. Dunno about California

OK thanks.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BC30cal
It's rare to see a buck like this in the daylight. His little head was doing the thinking for him this day...

[Linked Image]

ryoyshi;
Good afternoon - almost - to you sir, I hope the weekend has been treating you acceptably and this finds you well.

Thanks for posting the photo, it looks to me like he's what would be considered a cranker either on the Gulf Islands or Vancouver Island where I've seen/hunted most of the Columbia Blacktail I've encountered.

In those locales, the deer themselves are quite a bit smaller overall than the ones Steve hunts up by Whistler and Pemberton.

Going off of a bit of a foggy memory, I'd say the 2 point I killed on Salt Spring Island way back in the day went about 75-80 lb carcass weight and the locals who saw it said it was a pretty decent buck. There was one hanging I looked at which must have gone a bit more than 90lb carcass and had a rack almost the size of the one in your photo, but I don't recall the bases being quite that thick.

As my friend Okanagan said, they're a different breed of cat than even the whitetail I've chased in a couple provinces, though to me they much more mirrored whitetail responses to seeing people/pressure, etc. than anything a mulie has ever done around me.

The biggest bodied Columbia Blacktail I've ever seen was outside our daughter's dorm room window at the University of Victoria! It was by my estimate about a hand higher at the withers than any other bucks on campus - and there's no shortage of them there either I must add.

Thanks again for the photo and thanks for the thread and those who've contributed. It's interesting reading everyone's experiences and how they differ.

All the best to you all as spring continues to show up.

Dwayne

Good day to you sir! This buck lives not far from the GI/VI, just south of the border actually. He will likely die of old age or be hit by a car unless he develops wanderlust and some lucky hunter gets him, as he lives near/in town.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Dwayne

Hey, Dwayne. Re Blacktail behavior, I'd agree that northern rain country blacktails act more like whitetails. IME, the California blacktails act more like mule deer. It is a very general observation, but northern blacktails tend to sneak and hide, and southern blacktails tend to bust out and run like a mule deer. That's one of the reasons why I lean with the folks who make a distinction between northern and southern blacktails rather than lumping them together as the same deer. They don't look the same, act the same and they are waaaay different to hunt in the extremely different terrain/vegetation/climates they inhabit. And the southern ones have fleas! laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ryoushi, don't know where the buck in your photo comes from and won't ask, but his antlers look remarkably like a buck that lived in the suburbs of Mission, BC.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nice animals, Frank! Did you hang the buck on the gravel road on a wall? 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That buck in the road is a dandy!!! I've hunted up outta sweet home before, Gordon lakes area. Big country.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2018 Buck

[Linked Image][/img]

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,195
Posts18,465,925
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.