Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Lots of equipment renters ruined that years ago. Don't bother me any.

Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
A lot of that you can thank the wear out a pair of boots over 20 years and have the balls to take them back for a new replacement crowd.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

I was told that very thing when I visited the Sidney store many years ago. Sales guy said guides would outfit an entire camp, then return everything at the end of the season. Chutzpah, I believe it's called.

I saw people returning inflatable boats/rafts to Costco the after the long weekend. Terrible behaviour IMO.

Last edited by AB2506; 03/23/19.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might have been different if cabelas bought bass pro. Who knows?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by KC
Cabelas no longer honors their lifetime warranty. I just tried to return a Cabeals XPG tent that I bought a few years ago. The warranty that was in effect when I bought the tent was lifetime, no questions asked. But that's all over. Since they were bought by Bass Pro shop the new warranty is one year on Cabelas brand products and 60 days on everythng else.

Cabelas is betraying their customers. Bass Pro Shop and Cabelas are now both on my DO NOT BUY LIST. mad

How can they do that legally? They still operate under the Cabelas name. When you purchased the product you both agreed to a lifetime warranty. Still being Cabelas, regardless of the parent company, they should still honor the warranty Cabelas sold the product with.

Purchases after the announcement of the new warranty, non lifetime, should go into effect for products purchased after the change. But if you still have a receipt showing you purchased prior...

That's like if Ford bought Kia, for example, and Kia offered a 10 year warranty when you bought it. Bring it in 37 months after buying it and Kia says GFY, we don't honor your 10 year warranty, it's now only 36 months. You bought it with a 10 year warranty. Still the Kia brand.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
REI has gone to the same warranty policy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
Originally Posted by KC
Cabelas no longer honors their lifetime warranty. I just tried to return a Cabeals XPG tent that I bought a few years ago. The warranty that was in effect when I bought the tent was lifetime, no questions asked. But that's all over. Since they were bought by Bass Pro shop the new warranty is one year on Cabelas brand products and 60 days on everythng else.

Cabelas is betraying their customers. Bass Pro Shop and Cabelas are now both on my DO NOT BUY LIST. mad

How can they do that legally? They still operate under the Cabelas name. When you purchased the product you both agreed to a lifetime warranty. Still being Cabelas, regardless of the parent company, they should still honor the warranty Cabelas sold the product with.

Purchases after the announcement of the new warranty, non lifetime, should go into effect for products purchased after the change. But if you still have a receipt showing you purchased prior...

That's like if Ford bought Kia, for example, and Kia offered a 10 year warranty when you bought it. Bring it in 37 months after buying it and Kia says GFY, we don't honor your 10 year warranty, it's now only 36 months. You bought it with a 10 year warranty. Still the Kia brand.

My guess would be to read the fine print on the warranty.

Last edited by Boarmaster123; 03/24/19.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just what I was thinking.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lot of that you can thank the wear out a pair of boots over 20 years and have the balls to take them back for a new replacement crowd.

I couldn't buy something, use it for several years and then return it saying it was defective. That's not how it's supposed to work. Some folks really have a lot of balls.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Lotsa reasons to not shop at Cabelas.................but , over-reacting to a fugked -up return policy ain't one of 'em.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Retailers know when they are getting taken advantage of

Walmart was known for a stellar return policy years ago...folks would buy a mower in the spring and return it in the fall

Buy a rifle or bow before deer season and return it afterwards

This has all ended with new policies and rightly so

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by Prwlr

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

I was told that very thing when I visited the Sidney store many years ago. Sales guy said guides would outfit an entire camp, then return everything at the end of the season. Chutzpah, I believe it's called.

I have to agree with this.
A few yrs ago I bought a Cabelas Alaknak 12x20 tent out of the bargain cave for $500.
The only thing wrong with it was some dirt in it.
That’s it!
Also same time I bought the vestibule for it for $75 - unused
And for $15 bought the spark arrestor cover for the stove. - unused
Unreal.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I appreciate the change in policy. I don’t want to pay more to make up for what they’d lose to the scammers.

Cabelas free shipping over $49 has been nothing but good to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dale06

If cabelas accommodated that mentality, they deserve to go under.

They did adjust it by stating the warranty was for the lifetime of the product and used predetermined life of the particular product. It's too bad they didn't use more common sense and tell the renters where to go when it was obvious what they were doing. And the others wearing it out thinking they got new stuff when it did.

Some real a$$holes ruined these return policies and I don't blame them. I'm just surprised they allowed so many to abuse it like they did. When LL Bean changed their's, they flat out said they were tired of people finding grandpas 50 year old $hit in the attic and returning it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

I’ve seen some of those examples when my local Cabelas still had a Bargain Cave.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A couple of years ago I bought a Zeiss scope at the Bargain Cave in the Hamburg, PA Cabela's. There is nothing wrong with it. I mentioned it to one of my shooting buddies, and he said someone probably bought it for a hunt and then returned it after the hunt was over. I never thought of that, but he was probably right.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The only stuff I ever returned were two waterfowl jackets that leaked like a sieve. According to reviews, that model was crap. I had a pair of Cabelas Goretex 8 Point boots start leaking after 3 seasons. I figured I got the good out them for $99. Yard work boots now in dry weather. Store branded stuff is mostly junk anymore.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I returned a Cabelas scope less than a year ago.
They no longer sold that model so they gave me the next lessor model.
Sad to hear that is finished now but then so is Cabelas, in reality, they are Bass Pro now

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
They are owned by Bass Pro. Bass Pro bought the stores, etc. and decided what to do with the policies. Cabela's had no say, as no longer owner.
Think of it as Cabela's going out of business. Can't return Sears items if the store is kaput.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Their warranty excludes wear and tear, no doubt. What's in the fine print?

Aside, Cabela's gear has gotten pretty lousy in the last few years. Now that BPS has pretty much turned the Cabela's stores into BPS outlets, it's become mostly Chinese junk, as Cabela's sailes away. I recently closed my cc with them and Capital One. Cap-1 is an awful credit card company with deceptive practices; they deserve each other.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
About 10 years ago I started working on Jiffy ice augers from our local return processing facility. They got them from all over, but most of course from northern states. It averaged about 60 per year for 3 years. The majority had nothing wrong with them. People not able to understand 2 cycle engines or didn't like ice fishing after all. A few ruined engines ran without oil. Many were cobbled or damaged. Probably saw 20 cases of absolute fraud. 25 year old units returned in new boxes etc. Engine parts replaced with old parts, all kinds of crap. After processing about 180 of them and increasing my parts inventory, the return policy on them got changed and they started sending them back to the vendor, Feldman corporation. Total abuse of a "lifetime return policy" and I didn't blame them at the time. The facility here in western Nebraska is currently shutting down. At one time I believe it employed close to 100 people.

Last edited by ST50; 03/26/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ST50
About 10 years ago I started working on Jiffy ice augers from our local return processing facility. They got them from all over, but most of course from northern states. It averaged about 60 per year for 3 years. The majority had nothing wrong with them. People not able to understand 2 cycle engines or didn't like ice fishing after all. A few ruined engines ran without oil. Many were cobbled or damaged. Probably saw 20 cases of absolute fraud. 25 year old units returned in new boxes etc. Engine parts replaced with old parts, all kinds of crap. After processing about 180 of them and increasing my parts inventory, the return policy on them got changed and they started sending them back to the vendor, Feldman corporation. Total abuse of a "lifetime return policy" and I didn't blame them at the time. The facility here in western Nebraska is currently shutting down. At one time I believe it employed close to 100 people.

If you mean the main office in Sydney, at the time BPS bought them out it was 2000 employees. They have so far laid off about 1200 of them according to sources.
https://www.starherald.com/news/loc...d4bbc74-fa12-11e7-881a-3b8cf0227ca2.html

Cabela’s has long been an economic engine for Sidney, population about 6,800. The company once employed about 2,000 people in Sidney.

Last edited by Swifty52; 03/26/19.

Swifty
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,757
Posts18,401,358
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.