Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've got one that I use as a cast bullet rifle, It wears a 9X Unertl scope . I like shooting my Krags much better, but I'll keep the M54 around until my eyes get bad enough I am forced to go to the scope sight.

GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
You’re not shootin’ it yet????

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
You’re not shootin’ it yet????

I put it on hold until tomorrow.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that one would be next to my bed so fast my wife would be worried!
holy grail on my bucket list!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Nice gun, you’ll be very happy with it.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JIMFORAL
I've got one that I use as a cast bullet rifle, It wears a 9X Unertl scope . I like shooting my Krags much better, but I'll keep the M54 around until my eyes get bad enough I am forced to go to the scope sight.

I haven't put a single jacketed bullet through mine since I've owned it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It got a new home. smile

I am going to try to put a Lyman Alaskan scope on it. I bought a NOS 7/8 inch stith mount off of EBay last night.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good news! You will not be disappointed. Guaranteed.

Lots o'luck with the Stith and scope. It'll be a squeaker- either just clears or just won't. I have a Lyman 57 receiver sight if you decide to go that route.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had two M54's, one was a 250-3000 that was all engraved, wood and metal that I traded for a minty preWar 70 in 22 Hornet; and a very early 30-06 with the two piece firing pin much like a M1903 Springfield. I bought it from a friend. A few years later another friend of the guy I bought it from wanted to buy it from me because it belonged to our mutual friend. I reluctantly sold it to him. Both guns were beautifully crafted, built by craftsmen at the factory. The 30-06 was un-molested; the 250-300 was drilled, tapped, bolt handle changed, and after market trigger, which required one of the receiver sight holes to be used as a bolt stop. I don't think it was a Timney but can't recall the brand of the trigger? Not many choices back then. My friend has two M54's in 30-30, one scoped with a hand made model 70 style bolt shroud and safety and one stone original.

That one you have is in Excellent condition! I am glad you have the original swivel eyes. I hope you have the hooks as well as they are quite pricey! I found a set with a sling in a second hand shop for that un-molested early 30-06 for the bargain price of.....$10.00!! And that was for the sling! The swivels were considered in the way!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gary,

If I cant clear the scope, I will contact you about that Lyman 57.

Sbrmike,

I plan on keeping the swivels on there now. They are a lot more user friendly for a sling. But yes, I have those sling eyes.

IC B3

W
W
I have tried to mount an Alaskan with Stith mounts on my M54 carbine - no go with the bolt handle. I would love to see a few pics posted here showing how that works and clears the bolt handle.

Last edited by wjhpc; 03/29/19. Reason: spelling
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by wjhpc
I have tried to mount an Alaskan with Stith mounts on my M54 carbine - no go with the bolt handle. I would love to see a few pics posted here showing how that works and clears the bolt handle.

I’d love to see how it’s done too as I also have a M54 30WCF that I’d love to scope.

A good friend who’s tried indicated that it doesn’t work and can’t be done without altering the Stith and finding a really short scope.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeff, you’ve scored my friend! Thats a dandy M54. The Alaskan will probably be to long to clear the unaltered bolt handle and safety lever. I determined the only way to scope an unaltered M54 was to use a long eye relief Noske 2.5x “Hunter” Field scope in Stith Q.E.D. Windage Streamline mount and set the rear ring forward. This required my aerospace machinist brother to mill a new ring base to get the ring to move roughly 1-1/4” forward toward the front edge of the rear receiver bridge. The Noske was just short enough at around 9-1/2” in length to clear a lifted bolt handle and safety. Let use know how the scope mounting works out.

Last edited by 3dtestify; 03/29/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great score!!!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys.

It the stith doesn’t work, I have a pre war 70 that will get it.

The 54 will get a receiver sight. Which is perfectly fine for most applications. The only thing I don’t like about receiver sights is their poor performance in low light conditions. At least with my eyes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's been my experience too. I typically take the aperature out toward dawn and dusk. It's still less than ideal.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't have such issues with aperture sights, but then again I don't hunt in the dark either. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeff you could always drill the barrel and mount a scout scope red dot mil spec thingy up there. laugh

LOL
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Jeff you could always drill the barrel and mount a scout scope red dot mil spec thingy up there. laugh

I was thinking of drilling it for see thru mounts. I have 6-18 Barska scope ready to go. Because I don’t want to get lost, I am putting in a compass in the stock too. Then all will be good.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Im glad you got that rifle!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 2,164 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,706
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.