Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kenneth Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone wearing this jacket? Tried one on today, really liked it.

850 treated down with some type of waterproof and windproof shell.

Looking for some type of puffy for future use, This thing seems warm, likely too warm for any physical exertion but for idle situations, game on.

the fact that it's 30% off is just a bonus.

Any thoughts or comparisons?

GB1

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Other than buying from the liberal, anti- 2A, REI, you probably have a good deal.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No experience with that one but here is a good review. https://manmakesfire.com/rei-stormhenge-850-down-jacket-review/

Good features and if you want more of a coat for stand hunting this would be good. I usually pick down for weight and pack ability and wear a separate wind or waterproof jacket if needed. Or I use it for layering under heavy jackets for cold stand hunting. Members get 20% off now, I did not see the 30% off just the rebate.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Does it fit in a gallon Ziploc? That's my criteria. Very valuable in a hunt but limited use for my puffy jackets.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Heavier than I'd want.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
Does it fit in a gallon Ziploc? That's my criteria. Very valuable in a hunt but limited use for my puffy jackets.

Not sure, but not likely.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Heavier than I'd want.

overall weight or fill weight?

Options?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WAM
Other than buying from the liberal, anti- 2A, REI, you probably have a good deal.

And if I bought from Kuiu some whack job would bitch because I'm supporting California......

Don't be that guy.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
No REI anything allowed in this house! Buying from companies that don't support the 2nd amendment, is not American! Fugg REI and it as supporters! Just my humble opinion!

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by WAM

And if I bought from Kuiu some whack job would bitch because I'm supporting California......

Don't be that guy.

Choose wisely, grasshopper. FYI, Dick’s probably has some great sale items, too.....

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Heym06
No REI anything allowed in this house! Buying from companies that don't support the 2nd amendment, is not American! Fugg REI and it as supporters! Just my humble opinion!

You, we all buy things everyday from companies that don't support the 2nd Amendment. So your comment is hypocritical at best and makes you sound really ignorant.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

You, we all buy things everyday from companies that don't support the 2nd Amendment. So your comment is hypocritical at best and makes you sound really ignorant.

On the other hand, why would you support an entity that doesn’t support the things you hold dear? Unless you are a majority stockholder, the only influence you have is voting with your wallet. Smart companies make and or sell their products and support mainstream ideals or simply STFU and not politicize their core values. To do otherwise is economic suicide. To support entities in opposition to ones core beliefs is not exactly smart either. Happy Trails

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

On the other hand, why would you support an entity that doesn’t support the things you hold dear? Unless you are a majority stockholder, the only influence you have is voting with your wallet. Smart companies make and or sell their products and support mainstream ideals or simply STFU and not politicize their core values. To do otherwise is economic suicide. To support entities in opposition to ones core beliefs is not exactly smart either. Happy Trails

Remind me what computer you are using? What Internet provider? And the whole host of other anti-2A brands you buy regularly. And the beat goes on!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
WAM, I respect your line of thinking,

but you are being very narrow minded.

It's not that simple, never was, never will be.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
WAM, tell me which puffy to buy,

and I guarantee I can find some fault with the owner, or manufacturer, location, country manufactured in....... etc...etc...

Proceed carefully,

Patiently waiting.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Simply put, one cannot avoid all the anti-2A businesses out there. But why would you buy outdoor gear from one so blatantly opposed to your ideals? Maybe you have no real principles to worry about. Just follow the lead lemming? Puffy? Buy the one that best matches the man-bun.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
WAM

what outdoor retailer sells top brand outdoor apparel that is pro 2A? I am not talking about camo second tier apparel. Quality stuff from the likes of Arcteryx, Mammut, RAB, Outdoor Research. and Patagonia?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That's a tuff one. Most of the outdoor gear companies use all synthetic materials. The others source their down from China unless specifically stated.

Kuiiu is one that is good as well as Sitka, but pricey. Maybe LL Bean? Not sure about North Face and Outdoor Research. Paul Petzoldt was a hunter but not sure if he has anything to do with OR anymore. Patagonia is pro fishing but anti hunting so not sure where that fits in.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You might check First Lite and Sitka. I just try to avoid the in-your-face Anti's. You are correct in saying it is very difficult to drill down to the bottom of the supply chain. I happily avoid the most obvious like Starbucks, Target, Dick's, REI and any others that pop into my sights. In looking at catalogs if there are no hunting or shooting scenes, you might have a clue. That is all. Happy Trails

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Tejano
That's a tuff one. Most of the outdoor gear companies use all synthetic materials. The others source their down from China unless specifically stated.

Kuiiu is one that is good as well as Sitka, but pricey. Maybe LL Bean? Not sure about North Face and Outdoor Research. Paul Petzoldt was a hunter but not sure if he has anything to do with OR anymore. Patagonia is pro fishing but anti hunting so not sure where that fits in.

I wouldn't say Patagonia is anti-hunting. Definitely not clear and present Pro-hunting. They tend to keep quiet on hunting. I believe Yvon did hunt in his younger days. I would guess that the majority of the employees are anti-hunting. Those that are not are clearly not going to stand up and voice their pro-hunting opinions.

I don't get it people will pay all day everyday to anti 2A and hunting companies and justify it by it's not outdoor products. Yet those companies give so much more to the anti's than the outdoor companies do. Sorry but I am buying quality gear.

First lite is sh_t. The only two companies I would buy from that are hunting specific are Sitka and Kuiu. Though I am not overly impressed by either company.

I would look at Kyptek but they seem a bit pricey to me for what you are getting. In fairness I have never owned any of their gear. I do like that they are veteran founded and owned.

Personally camo means jacksh_t to me. I much rather just have solid earth tone colors.

WAM you haven't answered my honest question. Where would you buy any outdoor products of any quality?

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 03/27/19.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,810
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.