Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
we know the Air Assault troopers often exited helicopters without the copters setting down in a landing field.

were there any actual paratroopers deployed with parachutes from planes, or otherwise.

i was thinking there wasn't, but i could be wrong.

the Screaming Eagles were deployed.

what about the 82ndAA?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/173rd_Airborne_Brigade_Combat_Team#Vietnam_War
On 22 February 1967, the 173rd conducted Operation Junction City, the only combat parachute jump of the Vietnam War. The operation saw three brigades controlling eight battalions dropped by helicopters and US Air Force aircraft into War Zone C, in Tây Ninh Province. During the battle, the brigade operated out of the northeastern part of the war zone along with the 196th Infantry Brigade (Separate), as four other brigades from the 1st and 25th Infantry Divisions attempted to surround and destroy the 9th Viet Cong Division in the War Zone. The operation was a success, and the battered VC division fled. In August of that year, the brigade received its distinctive unit insignia. The soldiers chose to have it contain a parachute and dagger to symbolize their participation in Operation Junction City and the other heavy fighting they had been through. The DUI was also inscribed "Sky Soldiers" as homage to the nickname that the Taiwanese soldiers had given them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here are the jumps listed for the 82nd during that time frame.

12 Feb 1962 FTT-1 (White Star Team) Nam Beng Valley Campaign vs. Pathet Lao 12 Nam Tha Airstrip Laos Day Mass low-level tactical personnel static-line jump
2 Jan 1963 ARVN 8th Airborne Battalion w/ 2 US MACV "Red Hat" Advisors Battle of Ap Bac 302 Ap Tan Thoi South Vietnam 7 C-123 Day, Mass low-level tactical personnel static-line jump
1964 Belgian 1st Parachute Battalion (+) Dragon Rouge 324 Stanleyville Airport Congo C-130 Day Mass low-level tactical personnel static-line jump Equipment/supplies air-delivered: gun jeeps, crew-served machine guns. USAF aircraft delivered Belgian/mercenary paratroopers.
22 Feb 1967 173rd Airborne Brigade (Separate): 2nd and 3rd Battalions (Airborne), 503rd Infantry; 3rd Battalion (Airborne), 319th Field Artillery Junction City 845 Katum South Vietnam C-123, C-130 Day Mass low-level tactical personnel static-line jump Equipment/supplies air-delivered: Gun MULEs (M274s), 105mm artillery pieces. Jumped at 0900 hours on 22 February 1967.
2 Apr 1967 A-503 and A-344, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), 1st Special Forces; MIKE Force Battalion Harvest Moon 356 Bunard, Phouc Long "Happy Dragon" Province South Vietnam C-130 Day Mass low-level tactical personnel static-line jump.
5 Oct 1967 B Company, II CTZ MIKE Force Battalion; Pathfinder Detachment Blue Max 374 Bu Prang CIDG Camp, Quang Duc "Great Virtue" Province South Vietnam C-130 Day Mass low-level tactical personnel static-line jump. Pathfinder Detachment consisted of 12 US Special Forces peronnel and 37 ARVN Special Forces (LLDB) personnel. B Company, II CTZ MIKE Force Battalion consisted of 50 Special Forces Personnel and 275 ARVN Special Forces (LLDB) and indigenous personnel.
1968-73? Military Assistance Command, Vietnam, Studies and Observations Group (MACV-SOG) Airborne Studies Group (SOG 36) Eldest Son, Italian Green, Pole Bean North Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia C-130E Combat Talon Operations to sabotage enemy ammunition supply. Included 13 separate static-line jumps. SOG commandos won 10 Medals of Honor.
28 Nov 1970 RT Florida, Command and Control North (CCN), Military Assistance Command ,Vietnam - Studies and Observation Group (MACV-SOG) Ground Studies Group (SOG 34) 9 Ho Chi Minh Trail section Laos C-130E Combat Talon Team consisting of 2 American personnel, one ARVN officer, and 6 "Montagnard" troopers. High Altitude Low Opening (HALO) jump from 17,000 to 21,000 feet with oxygen, between 0001-0300 hours. Objective to close the Ho Chi Minh trail by calling in air strikes. Individually extracted with by helicopter using STABO (Stabilized Tactical Airborne Operation) rig. First men to receive combat stars on HALO wings. Formerly classified.
7 May 1971 RT Alaska, Command and Control North (CCN), Military Assistance Command ,Vietnam - Studies and Observation Group (MACV-SOG) Ground Studies Group (SOG 34) 4 Ashau Valley, near Laotian Highway 921 Laos C-130E Combat Talon Objective to close the Ho Chi Minh tral by calling in air strikes. Formerly classified.
22 Jun 1971 Team One Zero, Military Assistance Command ,Vietnam - Studies and Observation Group (MACV-SOG) Ground Studies Group (SOG 34) 4 60 miles southwest of Danang Southeast Asia C-130E Combat Talon Objective to close the Ho Chi Minh tral by calling in air strikes. Formerly classified.
22 Sep 1971 Team Storter, Military Assistance Command ,Vietnam - Studies and Observation Group (MACV-SOG) Ground Studies Group (SOG 34) 4 Plei Trap Valley, northwest of Pleiku Southeast Asia C-130E Combat Talon Objective to close the Ho Chi Minh tral by calling in air strikes. Formerly classified.
11 Oct 1971 RT Wisconsin, Command and Control Central (CCC), Military Assistance Command ,Vietnam - Studies and Observation Group (MACV-SOG) Ground Studies Group (SOG 34) 10 25 miles southwest of Pleiku in the La Drang Valley Southeast Asia C-130E Combat Talon Team consisting of 5 Americans and 5 "Montagnard" troopers. Objective to close the Ho Chi Minh tral by calling in air strikes. Formerly classified.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The Fifth Special Forces Group, Airborne had an officially recognized jump school in RSVN.
It was at Det. B51 in Dong Ba Thin.
All branches sent trainees there to get jump qualified.

The 5th trained their Mike Force (Montagnards) there.
Quite the picture.
Imagine emptying a Caribou load of cadets out of the door in under 10 seconds at 2500 feet.
Lots of wrecks in the sky.

Of course any other jumps made by the 5SFGA were classified.
A Secret Security Clearance was required to serve with them.

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 03/27/19.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The French jumped into Dien Bien Phu.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Tyrone
The French jumped into Dien Bien Phu.

The French made over 300 combat jumps in Indochine between 1946 and 1954.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
i've never understood in my feeble mind why the 101st and 82'nd didn't stop the flow along the ho chi minh trail. i ain't never had no AIT trng, but looking at the map could alert one to the inflow/influx of foreign intervention, and how best to stop the flow.

oh well, that game is over, it's closed, and thanks to Nixon we're getting our tv's from those folks.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
MACV, SOG had a lot of them, behind the lines

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I knew a fellow over in Payette, ID who was in the 101st and had made at least one combat jump. Don't know the details of time or place but it was a hot landing area and as he was drifting down a bullet creased his fingers holding onto the riser. He had a little straight line scar across his first three fingers.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Gus
i've never understood in my feeble mind why the 101st and 82'nd didn't stop the flow along the ho chi minh trail. i ain't never had no AIT trng, but looking at the map could alert one to the inflow/influx of foreign intervention, and how best to stop the flow.

oh well, that game is over, it's closed, and thanks to Nixon we're getting our tv's from those folks.

The Ho Chi Minh Trail went through Laos, and according to the Paris Accords, we were not allowed to have combat troops in Laos.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This link shows US Airborne Operations throughout history. https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/airborne-jumps.htm

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My judo coach who was 5SF lived and worked with the Montagnards.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The Montagnards are quite cool people. Unfortunately they suffered about like the American Natives.
All they wanted was to be left alone. A couple of the highest honors in my life was given me by Montagnards.
I hate to think of what they have struggled through. I wonder what their status is today, now that everything is
OK with our "friends" in Vietnam.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tim, I certainly would to like to hear a little more about how you came into those honors from the Montagnards and your other experiences there

Have wanted to ask you several times and meant to--just got lost in those conversations about knives, fishing & hunting...

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tomk
Tim, I certainly would to like to hear a little more about how you came into those honors from the Montagnards and your other experiences there
I agree. People like Tim are what makes the 'Fire so great!

Politics is War by Other Means
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by sbrmike
This link shows US Airborne Operations throughout history. https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/airborne-jumps.htm

thanks. very informative.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My coach speaks very highly of the Montagnards.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They were good people.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Tom
There are others with more and much better stories than I.
But for a breakfast, I can let you in on my time over there.
I was a draftee who got a LOT of great breaks.
You do not see many US service numbers in the 5th SFGA
Thanks goes out to all those who served any where, any time.
Tim

Albert Einstein

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Too many damn trees!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 38 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.