Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ranting
I just read a post on this forum about the great pre 64 rifle ! When the rifle world went for a [bleep] and started to cheap out after pre 64 , no sight , no claw extactor, push feed, >>RAG TALK<<>> Hell you have a 300 weth you can do with a 22 inch barrel!! For a period of time when the Rifle world went Mad!> and the Rags went with them !! Yes The pre 64 was GOLD! I so where in price does a pre 64 stand in price today?? I bought in 1984 a CZ 602 Brno 375H&H even better then the pre 64 for 450 bucks>that's right! The only pre 64 I have a hard on would be a 300H&H>> Your Thoughts

The only thing better on ZKK602 is the fact trigger pull can be adjusted w/o taking the stock off. The pre-64 70 300H&H with rear bridge cutout to facilitate long cartridge length is KOOL. If the guys at AccurateReloading have correct info you will be able to sell that ZB ZKK Magnum for high price and buy nice old Winchester instead.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

If you have to ask, you’ll never know.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^smile

I was looking at some targets yesterday from the old 375 I sold you, maybe I should post them. That would explain a lot about why a pre 64 is so valuable. That's just a small part of why they are so desirable though. Back in those days they were hand assembled with care and every one of them left the factory in 100% operating condition. Not like some of these jokes of rifles being made today, that leave the assembly line and have numerous problems that the buyer has to worry about. The pre 64's were built with the user in mind. They were made for hunting in every kind of situation and continent for every type of game animal. They are dependable, they are accurate, they are one of the very few rifles that I'd trust my life with.... Like when you went to Africa. Probably no hiccups of any kind with the old 375.

You bet Buddy, post em up, one of the first things I noticed about that rifle after bore sighting and getting on paper, HOLY SHEET! I cant believe BSA sold a rifle that shot so well, 300gr partitions, and a-frames, as well as 300gr bbw #13 solids, they all were accurate, no animal in Africa required a second hit, and to this day, not one single hiccup, that old rifle wears a gloss 1.5-5 in QD rings, it's like lunchmeat, ALWAYS ready , ] smile

Well said gunner. Im just hoping my new 375 wby shoots as good. I found a like new die set for that old rifle yesterday at one of my favorite old gunshops in reno. He sold it to me for $30.00. Now i just need to find some good brass..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Good brass is everywhere. Weatherby / factory is great, labelled right but expensive! (Just go with H&H .375 and keep track of reloads.)

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I was looking at some targets yesterday from the old 375 I sold you, maybe I should post them. That would explain a lot about why a pre 64 is so valuable. That's just a small part of why they are so desirable though. Back in those days they were hand assembled with care and every one of them left the factory in 100% operating condition. Not like some of these jokes of rifles being made today, that leave the assembly line and have numerous problems that the buyer has to worry about. The pre 64's were built with the user in mind. They were made for hunting in every kind of situation and continent for every type of game animal. They are dependable, they are accurate, they are one of the very few rifles that I'd trust my life with.... Like when you went to Africa. Probably no hiccups of any kind with the old 375.

You bet Buddy, post em up, one of the first things I noticed about that rifle after bore sighting and getting on paper, HOLY SHEET! I cant believe BSA sold a rifle that shot so well, 300gr partitions, and a-frames, as well as 300gr bbw #13 solids, they all were accurate, no animal in Africa required a second hit, and to this day, not one single hiccup, that old rifle wears a gloss 1.5-5 in QD rings, it's like lunchmeat, ALWAYS ready , ] smile

Well said gunner. Im just hoping my new 375 wby shoots as good. I found a like new die set for that old rifle yesterday at one of my favorite old gunshops in reno. He sold it to me for $30.00. Now i just need to find some good brass..

It'll shoot big buddy, I have faith, what a fun rifle it will be, you can go from mild to wild with that one, good luck and enjoy, hope you'll bust an elk with it next year.

Trump Won!
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

It'll shoot big buddy, I have faith, what a fun rifle it will be, you can go from mild to wild with that one, good luck and enjoy, hope you'll bust an elk with it next year.

Heck yeah, I can't wait to see what it does.

P64 but here... Even the rechambered and shortened ones can find a home at my place... I'll take care of them..

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn straight Buddy, I had a pre war 300 H&H rifle that had the rear bridge drilled and tapped, not a true collector, it is now a 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum! cool

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Damn straight Buddy, I had a pre war 300 H&H rifle that had the rear bridge drilled and tapped, not a true collector, it is now a 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum! cool

Yeah, I never get to far from mine myself. It’s a good one and really works well for me.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
It's a hell of a cartridge Buddy, hell, I learned right here in these pages my pre-64 300 H&H wasn't supposed to have a drilled rear bridge, to hell with that imposter that had been budda'D! i'll make something nice out of it.

BTW, I sold that Super Grade stock for enough to damn near pay for the whole build, plus, I still have the [300 magnum] barrel and the Super Grade front sight that I've seen poor bastards pay 400 bucks for onlne. grin

Trump Won!
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
runting: You are so stupid I do not believe I will engage you at this time - for fear of my friends thinking less of me for picking on a tard.
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Juvenile.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Yeah, I never get to far from mine myself. It’s a good one and really works well for me.

I've thought about the mashburn quite a bit at one time. Had discussions with bobin and dober about them. Its an intriguing cartridge for sure. When I look at my newly purchased 1949 375 WBY that used to be an H&H, I contemplate drilling and tapping that rear bridge. I hate to do that though, as that receiver may be worth something to someone in its original condition??? I still have some .375 cal bullets here, so I plan on shooting it in the future. The rifling and lands look primo on that rifle and the rechamber looks real clean. I'm thinking it's going to shoot well... It would be cool to take that old rifle elk hunting at least once. I will probably just use the irons on it. Should just hammer the hell out of a Wapiti... I'll just have to pretend I'm aiming at a water buffalo though grin. Or I could always just use it for jackrabbits wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Inane caca de toros. And I thought the problem was just millenials......................

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
runting: You are so stupid I do not believe I will engage you at this time - for fear of my friends thinking less of me for picking on a tard.
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Where’s the “like” button?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
here is the BIG DEAL with owning a pre 64 = you own part of hunting history with some of the finest rifles ever made in the United States period.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
OOPs Double post.

Last edited by Filaman; 01/19/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
He strikes me as pretty ignorant of Firearms history. Everybody that's ever pulled a trigger knows the virtues of a Pre 64 Winchester. Even the ones made after WWII are nicer than anything made today, in that price range. I don't own one. When I was 18 I finally made enough money in a Summer Job to buy me one. But that was 1966, two years after their demise. But I being a dumb high school kid didn't know the difference. I went down to the local sporting goods store and asked to see a Model 70. The one I saw was a .270 Win. and was so beautiful to a kid. It was all shiny. Had a glossy press checkered basket weave pattern stock. I bought it for $150 bucks and paid another $40 for a Redfield 4x Scope and another $10 for Weaver rings and bases. I was so proud of my new purchase. It did and still does shoot very well. I've still got it 53 years later. Well it will be 54 years in August. I do love that rifle and have taken many deer with it. I wouldn't trade it for ten Pre 64s, but that's because of its sentimental value and because it is accurate and functionally I'd just as soon have it as a pre-64. But I'm not by any means saying it's better than a pre 64. No way in hell. Anyway I still have it and the scope although they're no longer together. The scope is on a 1983 '94 Angle Eject .30-30. The model 70 now sports a Leupold VX-2 with adjustable Objective lens. It's a damn good deer and hog rifle and at last count has killed about 75 whitetail and about 5 hogs. It's pet load is a 130 grain Sierra Game King over 57 Grains of IMR 4831 at 3100 FPS or 59 grains H-4831 at about 3050 FPS MV. The Hodgdon load is a shade more accurate. I also have a load worked up with the same bullet using RL-22 that gives a shade more velocity than the IMR powder with the same accuracy. I do love the pre 64s but I just never got around to buying one. Maybe someday.

Last edited by Filaman; 01/19/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Everyone: Ranting has not posted since April 2019. He was reined in by the management.

Don't let the putz aggravate you anymore.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

This sounds kind of catchy, and a bunch of folks have latched onto it, but in reality, when you don't know a thing, ASKING about it a proper path to understanding it. More correct would be "If you DON'T choose to ask, you'll never know." I think that response is a little off-putting, even to a grammatically challenged post.
That said, I agree with most everything else that has been said on a substantive level about why older rifles are better. I have 3 Pre-64s and they are heavenly to use.
BUT, I just have a hard time convincing my best friend, whose $300 Walmart Savage 6.5CM/Weaver Scope combo shoots sub MOA out of the box with Hornady GMX ammo that exceeds its stated velocity over my 35P, that "they just don't make 'em like they used to." I wouldn't be seen dead with that rifle. But I might be dumb. Heck, we all might be...
Cheers,
Rex

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I could see myself talking about guns in this manner in about 30 years and after a few bourbons.[Linked Image]

God Bless and Shoot Straight
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.