Print Thread
Hop To
D
dpd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
What is the best way to clean scope glass ?

BP-B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I use a Leupold lens pen in the field, and at home the lens tissues and liquid spray sold by the optometrist.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I blow or gently get the specs off and use denatured alcohol, treated lens papers, and q-tips to clean the glass.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Lens pen. Keep one in every pack.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Scotchbrite pads for the really caked on deposits.

smile

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Toilet paper most of the time.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Blow on the glass and then use my glasses cleaner and little cloth the give me at the eye doctor for my prescription eye glasses...

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by hanco
Toilet paper most of the time.

Ouch....clay particles

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
distilled water in a little spritzer bottle I keep in my pack along with lens cloth or lens papers in their little zip-loc-type bag. The lens cleaners sold by/for optometrists are basically the same thing. You can also use wood/rubbing alcohol but it's not the best on some coatings.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Lens pens are great for the majority of the stuff. That and some Scope-Dope cleaner work well.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Blow or brush the particles off then moisture and lenses clothes. Almost all tissue can scratch and most lense fluids will remove the coatings over time.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zeiss lens tissues that Wally World sells. They are like $5 for 100 and they work great.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There is no hope for anything so delicate as scope glass. If it has been callously subjected to such an environment as to become sullied in even the tiniest manner, it is best to quietly bury it in the garden at midnight in a dignified ceremony. (At least that is what I have taken away from reading about the topic in the past.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Zeiss lens tissues that Wally World sells. They are like $5 for 100 and they work great.

+1

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Check the manufacturers manual for cleaning solutions. Not all coatings stand up to the alcohol in some solvents. Use a lens pen brush to remove dust and particles.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hold the rifle upside down, and dunk just the scope in a clear running creek. Swish it around to remove the really big clots of mud that got jammed in the objective when you fell on your azz crossing that same creek. BTDT.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glass has to be clean to “work” just like a barrel has to be shot to have any fun. In both cases they age a little each time, just like us. The alternative is to not go outside, so, i keep lenses reasonably clean and beyond that don’t worry about it.

For light dust/field debris i use compressed air.

For mud splashes or an old used scope from a store rack somewhere with 1/32 inch caked dust, will swish some soapy water around on it, rinse, repeat as needed. Finish with lens spray and lens paper.

For general greasy prints or whatever, again lens cleaner and lens paper or clean microfiber. Don’t believe for a second that nikon cleaner is going to eat zeiss coatings. I don’t use much of lens brushes or cloths as often just because i can’t know they are clean, whereas lens paper always is.

I live in a dusty gritty place, so keep all this stuff in a lid container and ziplocks.

Most everything has scope covers.

Couple prepackaged zeiss wet wipes in pack, same thing i clean my glasses with. Don’t recall ever really needing them, but.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by WAM
Check the manufacturers manual for cleaning solutions. Not all coatings stand up to the alcohol in some solvents. Use a lens pen brush to remove dust and particles.

Most of us don't use Barska optics, ethanol, methanol based glass cleaners wont hurt lens coatings, not much of a fan of isopropyl alcohol though. just don't use windex, ammonia can damage lens coatings. if it can clean copper out of your barrel it can ruin lens coatings

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 72 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.