Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Subaru can go where a locked-n-cocked jeep won’t on several occasions.

Blasphemy.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have skinner and williams, williams is easier to adjust, its bulky and somewhat slower to get on target because the sight is hanging off the side of the gun, this causes you to have a split second longer to think am I looking at this centered. I also think the fiber optic front sight that comes with the williams is a POS, skinner is harder to adjust is a cleaner install. I also like the skinner front sights better, I recommend the bear buster front sight, your not having to dink around trying to file the dovetail just right, It also just ends up being a cleaner look with the bear buster. The skinner is also a cleaner rear sight setup too. IMO you are going to want to use a skinner front sight anyways because I didn't like what williams sent out. So with that said you might as well just go skinner for both front and rear. Also skinner does offer a model that allows putting a scope on as well if that is something you have interest in. perhaps for load development or something like that. If I am doing it over again, I go skinner with the bear buster front.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But does the bearbuster work with the rear Dovetail peep or is it too high, dats da question. I’m also confused on this adjusting thing. Are y’all talking about making changes or setting it initially. By gosh they are all easy.

I could never get someone on the phone or email at Skinner to talk about the bearbust front

A couple of myths about peeps:

The closer to the eye, the more fast and accurate. Nope, my dovetail peeps are just as fast and accurate

Is my front sight centered? If you are focusing on that, you are using them wrong

A smaller ap is more accurate. Nope, the eye still centers the front, the width of the front has more effect on accuracy.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 04/03/19.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Tag.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But does the bearbuster work with the rear Dovetail peep or is it too high, dats da question. I’m also confused on this adjusting thing. Are y’all talking about making changes or setting it initially. By gosh they are all easy.

I could never get someone on the phone or email at Skinner to talk about the bearbust front

A couple of myths about peeps:

The closer to the eye, the more fast and accurate. Nope, my dovetail peeps are just as fast and accurate

Is my front sight centered? If you are focusing on that, you are using them wrong

A smaller ap is more accurate. Nope, the eye still centers the front, the width of the front has more effect on accuracy.

the best thing about the bear busters is you get rid of the dovetail base. Now if your site is dovetailed right to the barrel you are out of luck. You need threaded screws to hold on the bear buster. The older style rifles have the screw spacing closer, I am talking marlins, here. the newer ones are spaced further. with the older guns you are only able to use the 1 screw bear buster sight. the newer guns run the 2 screw bear buster. I love my peep's for targets that are not moving. However I think I may actually like the buck horn style for fast moving targets like jack rabbits. but it depends on the buck horn. I think a bead with more of a notch rear that doesn't have large buck horns would be best for that. kinda like the factory marlin sights. I picked up an old waffle top 336 and the regular sights on that I might really really like for fast moving jacks. But this was only spending a day with the skinner in the sage brush. it just seemed easier to track a running jack with the factory sights.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 04/04/19.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
XS used to make the Cowboy Express that was faster than crap but the front dot was large.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a 1976 vintage model 94 that has the failing blueing on the receiver that I bought very reasonably, and would like to use as a foul weather hunter. I would like to replace the rear sight with some sort of peep sight, and retain the factory front sight. What would be my best bet?

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Plans are plans, but reality came down to me ordering an XS set for the 336 too. Hope to have the new sights within a couple of days, but I decided to try the carbine with it's factory sights today.

Wasn't hitting anything much at first, shooting offhand at 50 so i put it on some bigger steel and figured out I was almost 6" high. Dropped the rear down and fired up again and the smaller steel started ringing. Albeit I was hitting to the left of my POA.

Tried some 170 gr Remingtons, and some150 blue box Federals, and couldn't tell a lick of difference while shooting offhand at 50. I will need some trigger time with this one to make it really useful.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The XS sights for the 336 came last week and I installed them over the weekend. Easy installation and a nice crisp sight picture.

This morning I had a little time to kill and found myself at the range with a few targets. 3 rounds at 25 yds made a tight cluster about an inch and a half or so to the right of center.

I had played with the adjustment screws at home and realized that my old BSquare screwdriver set lacked the correct size tip to fit the adjustment screws properly. I tried to file a tip to fit but it didn't really work right, so I simply bulled ahead and buggered up both screws.

I called XS and told them how i screwed it up and they sent replacement screws and filled me in on where to find a screwdriver that fit. Seems like a good bunch, and i surely like the sights they build.

I have another carbine coming and ordered another set of sights for it while I was on the phone with them.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I just put a Williams FP-71 on my Win 1886 Extralight 45-70. I like it.

IC B3

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Hmmm, not quite.
The smaller aperture does two things (1) it sharpens the image and (2) it forces your head/eye alignment into a smaller arc of error. If your sights are set for target style work, the width of the post doesn't become a hindrance until you have to judge holdover. And if you're trying to shoot the 45-70 at 200yds, holdover is an issue.

The key factor is consistent head position. I.e. you need a repeatable cheek weld. I put a big brass tack on my Guide Gun to be a "kisser button". I've used the Williams Firesight combo for a long time and it is very fast and accurate to 100yds. And it isn't as clunky as the 5d.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Lyman for me and if you can locate one of those Merit shutter apertures they are the tits. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just ain’t da case for me

Originally Posted by dla

Hmmm, not quite.
The smaller aperture does two things (1) it sharpens the image and (2) it forces your head/eye alignment into a smaller arc of error. If your sights are set for target style work, the width of the post doesn't become a hindrance until you have to judge holdover. And if you're trying to shoot the 45-70 at 200yds, holdover is an issue.

The key factor is consistent head position. I.e. you need a repeatable cheek weld. I put a big brass tack on my Guide Gun to be a "kisser button". I've used the Williams Firesight combo for a long time and it is very fast and accurate to 100yds. And it isn't as clunky as the 5d.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Steelhead recommended XS sights several years ago and they made a huge difference in speed and accuracy for me. They've very easy to acquire and shoot accurately and a better fit than a scope or red-dot for what I'm choosing to do with a lever-action.
[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang dats purdy

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'm glad I decided to turn that Marlin1895GST into a shooter instead of a safe-queen. I picked it up from my buddy Freedumb1 who used to post here but passed away last November frown and I think of him every time I see it so it get's plenty of attention. Last year I added a Levergun Leather sling to complete the package.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I put a Williams on the rear of mine, and a sight made by XS with a narrow white stripe up the center of it.
At the time, XS sent me a plastic front "try" sight you cut off and measured.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nebraska, its better to use them

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Awesome Marlin...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like either an XS or Skinner on the rear with out an aperture insert and an XS with white line and flat post top on the front. I have resisted the urge to scope a lever action with an exposed hammer and a tubular magazine.
I mostly carry my 1895 Marlin f45-70 or a little Mod. 94 Win. in .44 Magnum on summer jaunts when not hunting. I trust either one more then a handgun.

If all goes well I will soon be the happy proud owner of a Mod. 94 Win. in .356 Win. It will get Mag Na Ported and an XS or Skinner receiver sight and the XS white line post on front. Then I will load up some 220 grain Speer Flat Points and try to poke a hole in a moose this fall and may even stumble on to a brownie as we hunt the same place! I'm excited and will get some trigger time in with it after it arrives.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
85 members (338reddog, 308ld, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.