Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The serial number places it in early 1965. I topped it with a K6 in pivot mounts. Shoots sub MOA
This one stayed in a closet for over 40 years. The owner thought it kicked too bad. He had the pad changed to the vented pad but still thought it kicked too much so back in the closet it went. Love these old closet guns.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.264 barrel current number of shots:2122
BP-B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Very nice!!!! I love my 72 vintage its a great caliber....

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
This is the only 1964 I have ever seen. I am lucky enough to have a 1968 as well. reflex264

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
gotta love a 444 mine is newer a 44ss with crossbolt safety but shoots very well

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nice rifle. I had it's twin, first year gun, that I bought for a song. Couldn't get the dang thing to shoot anything worth a darn, my "hunting" load that shot the best would put 3 Nosler SJHPs in a 3 1/2" group at best on good days. Any other bullet I tried, about 10 of every weight, shape, and material would shoot 5 to 8 inch groups. I shot a young bull bison with it and it performed admirably but I just couldn't make myself love it, shooting like it did. I figured that since it shot like a shotgun I may as well turn it into one, so I swapped it for a Remington SP10.

Wouldn't mind grabbing another some day to try my luck again though.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TheKid
Nice rifle. I had it's twin, first year gun, that I bought for a song. Couldn't get the dang thing to shoot anything worth a darn, my "hunting" load that shot the best would put 3 Nosler SJHPs in a 3 1/2" group at best on good days. Any other bullet I tried, about 10 of every weight, shape, and material would shoot 5 to 8 inch groups. I shot a young bull bison with it and it performed admirably but I just couldn't make myself love it, shooting like it did. I figured that since it shot like a shotgun I may as well turn it into one, so I swapped it for a Remington SP10.

Very strange. I have 1968 first model as well and both are great shooters with the 265gr Hornady and the 270gr Speer. I had a 444 S from the 1980s that also shot very well.

Wouldn't mind grabbing another some day to try my luck again though.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
back in 1966 my uncle bought one of those 444 marlins, he still has it and loves it, but hes in his late 80s now
one of my elk hunting camp friends bought a marlin 444 to camp one year (about 1967), it was one of the early models with the longer barrel and cheek piece stock,
[Linked Image]
btw the load we found worked the best on elk in those marlin 444 rifles a few years later when hornady came out with them, was the hornady 265 grain bullet over 45 grains of imr 4198 and a 215 fed primer

I think they were only available that way for a couple years before the barrels were shortened and the stock was changed, he loaded it with 240 grain pistol bullets and a stiff load of RL7 powder and it shot 1.3" groups at 100 yards consistently.
the first ELK he hit was a average 4 point bull at about 120 yards
the bullet destroyed the lungs and dropped the bull in under 10 yards.
the second bull he killed was 3 years later at about 230 yards,the bull started to turn as he fired, the bull gave zero indication it was hit, as it spun and ran, we went over to look for sign and found a weak blood trail, but about 60 yards away the bull was down, the problem was the shot placement was a bit far back in the liver,and angled up taking out one lung
the 444 certainly will kill elk effectively but at least with the bullets he had used penetration was less than impressive, but expansion and resulting internal damage is very impressive.I think a great many guys who stick their nose up at the idea of using what they perceive as older lower velocity cartridges like a hot loaded 45/70 or 450 marlin have that opinion because they have little or no experience in the field with someone using one.
at the risk of proving Im an old geezer,Ill tell you this.
as an example,
back in the late 1969 season here in Florida I was hunting with a guy, who had just purchased a 444 marlin, JACK, had sighted it in 3" high at 100 yards the previous weekend and had a weaver 4x scope on the rifle,he had loaded it with speer 3/4 jacket hollow points.
JACK, was using the rifle he had purchased for an up coming elk hunt after reading the advertizement posted below.
[Linked Image]
we were walking across a large field when we saw two bucks stand up at about 150 yard out and stand staring at us, in those days the daily bag limit was two deer a day. before I could even say a thing JACK, fired that rifle twice in very rapid succession and to my amazed young eyes both deer dropped on the spot. I,d never seen deer drop instantly when hit and I sure as hell never saw two deer shot and dropped almost instantly within feet of each other.
right then I knew I needed to buy a similar rifle, which I did as soon as funds allowed and it worked great for several decades.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Man, who wouldn't want one of those!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Local gun shop owner asked if I was interested in an old Marlin. Sure, what do you have? He pulled out from the back a 1965 444 Marlin without having been molested in any way. I would say conservatively 85% overall condition. After reading and researching over several weeks, I decided to buy the rifle and see what I had.

The rifle was benched and target placed at 50 yards with a Nikon 3-9 scope. The ammo was Remington factory 240 and the new Hornaday Leverevolution 265 FTX. The 265 printed a 3 shot cloverleaf and the 240's were nearly the same. I was impressed. I intend to load Hornady 265 FP and 300's as well. Powder will be either H335 or IMR 4198. I think this rifle is going to be a hoot to shoot.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Nice rifle reflex. This reminds me that I need to pay attention to mine. It also is a 1965 444 Marlin.

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
1965 444 Marlin.jpg (91.06 KB, 490 downloads)
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Dad had an ARGOSY magazine way back in the mid-60's that featured the Marlin .444 on the cover.
It's the first time I remember being really interested in a gun.

"Did I mention, I REALLY LIKE GUNS?"
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have one of those, from my brothers estate. Ugly in a cute way. Fun to shoot. Nothing in Illinois I can use it on but varmints.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by reflex264
The serial number places it in early 1965. I topped it with a K6 in pivot mounts. Shoots sub MOA
This one stayed in a closet for over 40 years. The owner thought it kicked too bad. He had the pad changed to the vented pad but still thought it kicked too much so back in the closet it went. Love these old closet guns.
[Linked Image]

So! Does that make it a closet queen?

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve got Dad’s now. It’s a 1969 model. It also has an old Weaver K4 on it. Bet it hasn’t had a half a box a shells through it! He always said it kicked like a damn mule! LOL. Still looks brand new too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always wanted one of those when I was in highschool!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Nice rifle reflex. This reminds me that I need to pay attention to mine. It also is a 1965 444 Marlin.

[Linked Image]

A beaut of sure. Sotty I got rid of mine, but it was more of a 1980s time frame....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 340mag
back in 1966 my uncle bought one of those 444 marlins, he still has it and loves it, but hes in his late 80s now
one of my elk hunting camp friends bought a marlin 444 to camp one year (about 1967), it was one of the early models with the longer barrel and cheek piece stock,
[Linked Image]
btw the load we found worked the best on elk in those marlin 444 rifles a few years later when hornady came out with them, was the hornady 265 grain bullet over 45 grains of imr 4198 and a 215 fed primer

I think they were only available that way for a couple years before the barrels were shortened and the stock was changed, he loaded it with 240 grain pistol bullets and a stiff load of RL7 powder and it shot 1.3" groups at 100 yards consistently.
the first ELK he hit was a average 4 point bull at about 120 yards
the bullet destroyed the lungs and dropped the bull in under 10 yards.
the second bull he killed was 3 years later at about 230 yards,the bull started to turn as he fired, the bull gave zero indication it was hit, as it spun and ran, we went over to look for sign and found a weak blood trail, but about 60 yards away the bull was down, the problem was the shot placement was a bit far back in the liver,and angled up taking out one lung
the 444 certainly will kill elk effectively but at least with the bullets he had used penetration was less than impressive, but expansion and resulting internal damage is very impressive.I think a great many guys who stick their nose up at the idea of using what they perceive as older lower velocity cartridges like a hot loaded 45/70 or 450 marlin have that opinion because they have little or no experience in the field with someone using one.
at the risk of proving Im an old geezer,Ill tell you this.
as an example,
back in the late 1969 season here in Florida I was hunting with a guy, who had just purchased a 444 marlin, JACK, had sighted it in 3" high at 100 yards the previous weekend and had a weaver 4x scope on the rifle,he had loaded it with speer 3/4 jacket hollow points.
JACK, was using the rifle he had purchased for an up coming elk hunt after reading the advertizement posted below.
[Linked Image]
we were walking across a large field when we saw two bucks stand up at about 150 yard out and stand staring at us, in those days the daily bag limit was two deer a day. before I could even say a thing JACK, fired that rifle twice in very rapid succession and to my amazed young eyes both deer dropped on the spot. I,d never seen deer drop instantly when hit and I sure as hell never saw two deer shot and dropped almost instantly within feet of each other.
right then I knew I needed to buy a similar rifle, which I did as soon as funds allowed and it worked great for several decades.

Great story 340! Thanks.

The 444 is one of my favorites as well.

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just picked up a perfect 1967 today. Not a scratch or blemish on it. I'm super-stoked. I've been watching for a good one for 5 years and finally found one.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I just picked up a perfect 1967 today. Not a scratch or blemish on it. I'm super-stoked. I've been watching for a good one for 5 years and finally found one.

Congrats.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
in about 1970 my brothers buddy brought one of those out to the range and let me shoot it. i was 9 or 10. i had never heard of a 444 before. it was impressive to say to least. he let me keep the empties and i had them for years. i always like the look of those guns and that shell. looked like a mini artillery round.

My diploma is a DD214

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 73 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.