-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been buying a few old lures on Ebay. All Creek Chub Pikie Minnows until I bought a Heddon River Runt Midget Digit. I only buy ones I can get with an original box. Heck, the boxes are even getting spendy by themselves. I just rec'd a red and white Midget Digit, and as much as I know I shouldn't, I think I'm going to have to fish this one. It's a neat little lure and ought to swim pretty good on an ultralight. 'Can't wait to give it a try. Anybody else fish old Pikie Minnows or River Runts?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Jeff, I'd like to talk about the lure, I just know nothing about them.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Those were beautifully crafted lures, with such a distinctive face shape. I had a River Runt that I prized but don't know what became of it. I also have a Lucky 13 that I bought and used. It was a bass caching wonder. Still have that one. If you admire their lures, search up a copy of "The Heddon Legacy" which details nearly every lure they made, and when, and what it was worth when the book was printed. Fascinating stuff.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoy fishing the old lures. They are very effective fish catchers, especially on lakes that see a lot of tournament pressure. The fish have seen every lure on the market but they haven't seen those old antique lures.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Im a Creek Chub Dingbat maven!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a fan of the Heddon Sonics, matching the size and color to the intended target. The best lure I've ever found for channel cats is a small coach dog Sonic,

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have several of the River Runt series of lures. Jointed, non-jointed and in different sizes. My dad gave me a couple of tackle boxes that weren't his tackle (he's an ultra light guy) and I don't have anything to do with them.

They are neat designs though.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've always liked the Pikie Minnow, and the River Runt. The boxes for the River Runt are little works of art. It harkens back to an older place in time. A steel Heddon baitcasting rod, a Pfluegger Supreme, some braided line, and some big angry northerns. Keeps me connected to my dad, as this is the tackle he used for so many decades. I watch ebay regularly, and restock when needed, buy the nicer ones when I can win the auctions. An old wooden Pikie Minnow is pretty tough to beat, and with the River Runts being plastic, they're just about indestructible. I fish a lot of newer crankbaits too, but at least a couple times a year, I like to dust off this old gear and go out by my self just to get reconnected to a simpler time, and to remember my dad. We'll fish together again soon dad. This I promise.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got some of those from dad's pike and musky fishing days and his two hexagonal steel fishing rods. Then there is step-dad's fathers tackle box with even older stuff the likes of which I've never seen before. I'd be pretty afraid to cast some of those into the water for fear that I might actually catch a toothy fish or that it would bite the line off. That lure is probably worth a whole lot more than a fish.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 10Glocks, 8 invisible), 1,575 guests, and 731 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,563
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.