Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jim585 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Looking at a Marlin 512 Slugmaster to use for deer in shotgun only areas. Seems to fit me perfectly with the iron sights & comes with base & rings for scope. Anyone willing to share their experience would be appreciated. What can be done to lessen the recoil? Thanks.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had one, it worked but there was nothing impressive about it. I never found a slug the gun would shoot exceptionally well like I did with the Savage models. I felt comfortable taking shots out to 70-80 yards but that was what I could do with any of my pump and semi-auto guns so the Marlin went down the road.

Someone else could probably do better with that same gun using a different brand of sabot or even a different lot number of the ones I tried so my experiences are not the last word on the gun. Slug guns are the proof of the adage that each gun is a rule unto themselves.

As for reducing the recoil, the options are all the old ones. Add weight to the gun and use lighter weight slugs at lower velocity. This last may be difficult as one also has to use whatever offers at least adequate accuracy and energy. That limits options.

The addition of a softer recoil pad can make the recoil seem softer as can using something like a PAST recoil shield. I'll often use an extra sandbag between the gun butt and my shoulder for a less costly option.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Marlin guns were OK, but they handled like a 2x4.

Mossberg made a bolt action slug gun for a while that was hideously ugly. It looked like it was pregnant where the mag well was.

The Savage is a better gun, but the Browning A-Bolt is the BEST. They make models with rifled sights and all of them are set up for scope bases.

As for recoil, use a lead-sled to sight in and it will tame that critter. When you are in the field you will not feel the recoil through the adrenaline.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
J
Jim585 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Great ideas from both of you. Thank you. I will add a better recoil pad as well as borrowing a friends lead-sled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How a gun fits & feels is most important. You're taking on a deer hunt, there will be mud, rain & snow. Who cares how it looks. After you fall a couple times with it---there will be nicks and gouges.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (300_savage, 264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,580 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,435
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.