Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Shooters!

On Saturday, 13-Apr-19 we will have our annual Safari Rifle shoot at PRGC!

see http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/safari-rifle-shoot-PRGC.html

This is a fun shoot for elephant guns at reduced size and life sized targets and fairly short distance.

We'll shoot about 20 shots in 4 or 5 stages. We'll keep hit/miss score with a few twists.

Winner gets a pith helmet! But if you won in the past you MUST wear your helmet to every future shoot! Everyone who has ever shot this says they had a great time!

We will start setting up and signing up before 7:30, lots of guys set their big rifles out on display while we are signing up and giving the safety announcement. We try to start shooting by 8:30AM. We should be done early afternoon. Then, in keeping with a a tradition for several years now, we'll go out for early dinner afterwards!

for info, PM, post or email.

[Linked Image]

PRGC is a member-run club with 7 ranges from 10 meters to 500 yards.
Take 7th AVENUE south of baseline to the base of South Mountain.
915 W. Olney, Phoenix, 85041
http://www.phoenixrodandgun.org/

We also have a Hunting Rifle shoot, a more serious practice for life-sized north american game hunting rifles - check http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/hunting-rifle-shoot-PRGC.html for info.

Poole

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wish I lived closer that looks like fun

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Wish I had seen this in time. I live in Scottsdale and have two .375s. A Winchester Model 70 and an Interarms Alaskan. The son and I would have been there for the fun. I'll keep an eye on this forum so that I don't mess the nest (I hope) Shoot.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you drive down Central Ave to get to the range, you can stop and rent rims and tires for your lowrider weekend cruising!

Old guy, old guns.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yes, that's certainly true. I see you're familiar with the area.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The first year I ran this we did like 3 of them, it kinda petered out to once per year, late march/early april and attendance has dropped from the high teens to less than half a dozen!

I have a prize and targets for next year, I hope we see more interest from shooters and helpers!

so watch this forum, watch the event website
http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/safari-rifle-shoot-PRGC.html

watch the PRGC calendar
https://phoenixrodandgun.org/

We may reserve the date right at the beginning of the year and update the website a bit later....

look forward to shooting with you all!

Poole

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by susi
Yes, that's certainly true. I see you're familiar with the area.

Yeah, lived there from 1969 till 2017. Then moved to St. George, Utah. Love it up here. Still have two adult sons with kids living in phx, so we visit a few times a year. Used to cruise Central in high school be I in the late sixties/early seventies. My favorite gunships were Randalls and Legendary. Mesa had some good ones but they closed. Maybe I'll come down and do the.shoot next year. Art

Old guy, old guns.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Bill - I recently shot in the similar style match up in Montana, the Safari Rifle Challenge - what a hoot!

Am looking at a rambling, wandering southwest vacation next spring, and could easily have a 375 rifle with me... Would be a hoot to shoot your match!

Guy

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That sounds like an awesome shoot! I'll be there for the next one for sure - with a few friends!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
it was reading about the Montana shoot and seeing videos of a shoot in South Africa that inspired me to finally start this thing up (I had been dreaming of it for years) oh, finally finding an affordable .416 Rigby helped inspire me too.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Bill Poole
it was reading about the Montana shoot and seeing videos of a shoot in South Africa that inspired me to finally start this thing up (I had been dreaming of it for years) oh, finally finding an affordable .416 Rigby helped inspire me too.

So... Roughly mid-April 2020?

Trying to plan a trip to the southwest, and this would be a fun addition to the trip. I'm not in any real hurry for exact dates yet though.

Thanks, Guy

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What is the course of fire? How much ammunition is needed?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
usually about 20 rds
some of the targets are the miniature from Safari Press, some are hand painted full size
a string of 5 at plains game
a string of 5 at african big 5
a string of usually 4 at hippo and croc, sometimes from a boat, or a stool that identifies as a boat.
a string consisting of 2 at paper buffalo and then 2 at the charging buff on a cart
and 2 at the elephants that bob up and down with or without tusks.

I want to make the boat rock

I want to build a leopard tree with a disappearing leopard

years ago I had access to a mover for the Lion once, I'd like to build something like that again....

attendance has dropped from the mid-teens in the early years to 6 or 8 recently

I bought the safari press targets and pith helmet for 2020 already, if I start to see more enthusiasm & turnout, we'll keep running it.... if not.... ????

Poole

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
It would be a shame if you stopped having it, it sounds like a blast. I’ll be there and try to let as many people know as possible. I never knew about it before.

Do you make a printed flyer? I’d be happy to post in gun stores as I make the rounds. WLM comes to mind especially.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I would be on board the next one.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My son, son-in-law, my hunting buddy of 30 years and myself are planning to be there next time. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sure Bill will post an update, but mark your calendars for March 29, 2020. Hope to see many of you there.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll start a new thread, spread the word!

Phoenix Safari Rifle Shoot Sunday 29-Mar-19 - PRGC

Poole

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
712 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.