Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey folks,

Looking for suggestions for a rapidly growing 7th grade boy. Right now he's 12 and 5'6 125. Really slender due to being a swimmer. I like Mystery Ranch, but its been years since I bought my Crew Cab. I'm looking for something that can grow with him. Anybody thats outfitted their youngsters I'd sure appreciate some help.

thanks,

Andy

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Recommend going to an REI or similar outdoor store and have him try packs out to fit his torso, etc. When you get a better idea what "types" of packs he feels fit him comfortably, you'll be better informed to peruse Mystery Ranch (primarily to carry game or camp?), Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, Black Diamond, Sacs Millet, etc., etc. to potentially order. I would ask the store to put a 10lb weight in the pack when trying them on to get a better idea of its suitability.

Get some "experienced" assistance at the store to ACTUALLY and PROPERLY adjust the pack while your son wears it!

Get something that will fit him for a couple of years and THEN get another pack later. Packs are like rifles and revolvers...you can always find a use for another. Most quality packs can reduce the volume of the pack bag AND adjust torso length so a bag you buy now may last for many (several) years as he grows. Obviously, buying a Mystery Ranch pack that goes for $500 may make that a future-proofing issue.

Recommend buying NOTHING over 4lbs. Lots of features usually result in more weight. Most packs allow removal of the pack lid and sometimes other components to help keep weights down.

In my region, waterproofness is a big factor...may not be important in your area.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by AndySpencer
Hey folks,

Looking for suggestions for a rapidly growing 7th grade boy. Right now he's 12 and 5'6 125. Really slender due to being a swimmer. I like Mystery Ranch, but its been years since I bought my Crew Cab. I'm looking for something that can grow with him. Anybody thats outfitted their youngsters I'd sure appreciate some help.

thanks,

Andy

What will the pack be used for? If purely hunting Eberlestock Mainframe. Drybag for personal effects.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Inexpensive Teton Scout 3400 packs have 15" to 19 1/2" torso length adjustment. Mountain adventurer model has more room and only 4lbs.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m in the same boat for our 7yr old. I believe osprey has some offerings, but my pack weight is gonna increase!!

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
At his size I'd get a stone glacier 5900 pack and adjust as needed,

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys. I'm looking at all your suggestions. It's for backpack hunting only, with an eye to lugging out huge chunks of meat.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by AndySpencer
Thanks guys. I'm looking at all your suggestions. It's for backpack hunting only, with an eye to lugging out huge chunks of meat.

If purely hunting Eberlestock Mainframe. Drybag for personal effects.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I went through this same thing with my son last year. He's about the same size/age as your boy and had outgrown his first pack and needed something he could legitimately pack meat with. After alot of research I ended up getting him a Kuiu Icon pro frame with an Ultra 3000 bag. For now it's very light and can be sized to fit him. For later it will grow with him and I can buy bigger bags as he gets bigger and does bigger things. Now that he's had the bag for a year I can say it was the right choice for him. He's used it for day hikes, multi-night trips, and has hauled out meat the pack. In fact, he was able to pack out his own entire deer for the first time with it. Kuiu stuff typically makes me want to puke, but this bag works well for him and I was able to get it on sale, so the shoe fits so to speak. I just looked and they've got them on sale again now, just like last year.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
May be a little more than you're looking for though if you're looking for something to handle a lot of meat like elk than this may be right in line. Give the K2 3500 A look.

https://mtntactical.com/knowledge/h...n-gear-3500-tops-mystery-ranch-and-kuiu/

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by Hunterapp
May be a little more than you're looking for though if you're looking for something to handle a lot of meat like elk than this may be right in line. Give the K2 3500 A look.

https://mtntactical.com/knowledge/h...n-gear-3500-tops-mystery-ranch-and-kuiu/

Thanks. I think I need to get one of these.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
My 15 year old with his Stone Glacier Krux Evo 40/56.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by pathfinder76; 05/27/19.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

MR Pop Up 28?

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Small frame & belt MR Pintler. Nice design for a kid to grow with.

I bought my youngest boy, age 11, a MR Scapegoat 25 and it does everything he needs it to do at that age.

You should limit a kid under 15 to 30 lbs or less anyway.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1moredeer, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.