-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a video I just found that shows what "no limit, keep them all" striper fishing is like at Lake Powell, Utah. (30 minutes of action)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That looks like a lot of fun Rocky and good eating.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That kid is a Hank Parker Jr. !

Super fishing, wish I could take my boat there !

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never hit boils like that, but have had pretty fast catching on stripers once or twice. You never know what's going to smack a lure there - striper, walleye, smallie, largemouth, channel cat, crappie...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The striper fishing at Powell is great and good eating but in the good old days in the 70s before the stripers, Powell had big and unlimited crappie fishing...DAM I miss those days...the best eating and still a blast to caught.

SWcowboy

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used to cruise Powell and look for boils. Only got one or two fish then school would submerge for a while. Had to chase them to get more.

As for eating, I brought many home. Now days it seems that mercury warnings are everywhere. Here is Powell's:

Location: Lake Powell, Coconino County (Arizona) Kane and San Juan Counties (Utah) from Dangling Rope Marina south to the Glen Canyon Dam.
Pollutant: Mercury
Fish Species: Striped bass
Advisory: The State of Utah recommends that pregnant women and children under six should limit their consumption of Striped bass to one 4- ounce meal per month. Women of childbearing age and children between the ages of six and sixteen should limit their consumption of Striped bass to three 8-ounce meals per month. Adult women past childbearing age and men older than 16 should limit their consumption of Striped bass to nine 8-ounce meals per month

taken from this link: https://www.azgfd.com/fishing/fishconsumption/

I used to fish Arivaca exclusively back in the 70s and ate quite a few fish. The advisory is to eat NO FISH. Geez now they tell us.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rocky, years ago I remember hitting the boils. We had a house boat there and would hit the lake 3-4 times a year. The fish were MUCH larger back then. It was not uncommon to pull 20-30 fish out per person in less than 20 minutes. Some of them as large as 10-150 lbs - a lot of them in the 8-10 lb category and most around 3-5 lbs. That was a lot of fun.

Thanks for the Post Rocky !

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SWcowboy
The striper fishing at Powell is great and good eating but in the good old days in the 70s before the stripers, Powell had big and unlimited crappie fishing...DAM I miss those days...the best eating and still a blast to caught.

SWcowboy

I remember the crappies there too. And they were HUGE ! We'd catch them by the 5 gallon buckets. Then have a fish fry.

Last time I saw that kind of action was about 1981.

Last edited by Owl; 04/02/19.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I am beginning to believe that the best eating fish of many - if not most - larger species are "tunas." You know: tuna quarter, tuna half...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My kids love fishing LP Striped Bass boils....

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Great picture...................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No doubt. Awesome pic! 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Shad are the limiting factor in striper growth at Powell, the biologists say.

Recent studies are showing that Powell anglers should not only keep or kill every striper and walleye, but every smallmouth bass, too. In some areas of the lake smallies are beginning to stunt at 9" - 12" ALL of those should be either eaten or "euthanized" and tossed back.

On the positive side of the mussel infestation, it now appears that bluegill are eating mussels, much like their redear sunfish cousins. Bluegill in excess of 1.5 pounds are showing up, stuffed with mussels.

The very low water levels of the past few years have hurt the largemouth population because there's little to no shallow "wood" structure - actually tumbleweeds in Powell. That may finally change this year with our near-record snowpack (some areas got over 50 FEET of snow this winter!) Powell may rise as much as 50 feet in consequence. That will benefit Lake Mead also, because they'll be able to release more than token amounts of water from Powell.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1badf350, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,106
Posts18,464,235
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.