Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BigFin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We took a few days earlier in March to address the muskrat population on a creek I often get invited to for late season duck hunts. The idea was to show another trapping series and then prepare them for a meal differently than we prepped them last time.

Our YouTube channel audience is mostly hunters and I am often surprised by how many misunderstand trapping; something I grew up doing to fund my hunting/fishing. So, I try to mix in some trapping content whenever opportunity allows.

So, here is Day One, out setting a few traps and explaining the damage muskrats do to spring creeks. Wish I had time to get after the seriously like a I did a few years back.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Advertised as swamp rabbits in the deep south. Should be fine grub.

1Minute
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya I work with a colored feller from Mississippi that says coons are good.... And that's not a pun....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
BigFin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Day Two; first day of checking traps. Not a bad haul for 28 traps in tough conditions. Didn't even fall in the drink on this day.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We always saved the hind legs off the muskrats. We usually dredged them in flour, browned them and stewed them with onions and chicken broth. When done thickened the gravy and served them with drop dumplings and sweet/sour red cabbage.

But then we would make stew and jerky from the hind legs and backstraps off the beaver we caught, slice up the liver and fry it with onions and serve it alongside our eggs in the morning.

Raccoon got roasted just like a turkey.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks, Randy. We always had plenty of rats but never trapped for them (NE Mont.). They were always in our mink sets and once skinned they went into the mink bait bucket. I learned a great market lesson as a kid when I had a hundred rat skins and the market was $.75 and the conventional wisdom said they had to go up to a buck. Wound up sellin them for $.40. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

R
RCL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Good stuff Randy.
Thank you

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great videos. Thanks for sharing.

BigFin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Day 3: On this second day of checking the traps I can see we are already cleaning up the local 'rats. If it was not frozen, there would be a lot of traveling rats and the catch rates would stay the same.

BigFin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Day 4: Due to a crazy calendar, it's time to pull these traps, finish with the skinning and butchering chores, then get these muskrat hams over to Marcus (camera guy and wild game cook) for tacos tomorrow.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We know you can trap them.... but can you eat ‘em?😳

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Weasles like em....guess Randy does too.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you don't eat 'em, they'll eat themselves.

Muskrats have an 80% mortality rate per year, and this is the time of year when they turn very cannibalistic.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
No kidding?

I am MAGA.
BigFin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Day 5: The catchin' is done. Now it's time for cleanin' and cookin'.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
No kidding?

For sure. If you run "floats" in the spring or even the setup that Randy is demonstrating, the biggest problem will be that the other rats come to fight and eat on any of their brethren that are anywhere near the surface of the water.

We have gone to #2 size traps for the simple reason that they are plenty enough heavier to sink a muskrat to the bottom post-haste and thus avoid being chewed on.

Actually, here we can trap inside huts as well, and if the weather is cold enough to hold iceup until late February, the muskrats just start eating each other inside the huts also. Once the water is severely cold, they won't dive out of the hut to drown anymore. Then they are sitting ducks for the rest of the clan to eat up fast.

Pretty similar behavior to prairie dogs, I think.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not high on my menu list but I’ve ate Muskrat before. Back when I trapped I would give 3 or 4 carcasses to my grandma to make for grandpa. She would make a stew.
And nice professional made videos.

Last edited by HeavyLoad; 04/05/19.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Eating 'scrats?

That doesn't sound pleasant. At all.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You have no idea what good eating you at missing. The description marsh rabbits is real close only MR's are better than rabbit.

Last edited by erich; 04/06/19.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool stuff Randy. Enjoyed it.

Yup.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.