Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I have been thinking about buying a Browning BAR in 300 Win Mag. I would like to finally own a magnum (I have a 30-06, 308, 25-06, 6.5 Creed, etc.). The thought of a 300 WM in a semi-auto seems like a good elk combo (reduced recoil and a quick follow-up shot). I know weight would be a down side but the rifle I am looking at is on 7.5 pounds which isn't far off my other rifles. I'm not a long range shooter but I would imagine that the accuracy would be adequate out to 300 yards or more.

Thoughts? Is it a good elk set up? If no, an suggestion for a good bolt action that would have manageable recoil without a muzzle brake? Thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use the 30/06. Save the money & use it on the actual elk hunt. I've killed a boat load of elk with my 30/06 using 180 grain bullets.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
According to the Fire posts, as long as it's in 6.5 Creed or 380ACP, you're good to go.

Personally it's all about weight for me. Recoil and follow up shots have never been an issue while hunting. Carrying a heavy rifle for 10 miles up and down mountains is an issue. I'd make my priority to keep the loaded rifle, sling, and optic total to 8 lbs or less.

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks guys. I am interested in as many opinions as I can get. Unfortunately, I just ordered a scope for my new rifle. Maybe I jumped the gun. (When hunting season is closed I waste a lot of money on gear.) I could still skip the 300 Win Mag and use the scope to upgrade one of my other rifles.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I have only really owned one auto-loader and the accuracy from a bench was noticably worse than a bolt. It was however an older one (bought used in 1986), remington 742. Worked fine to 100 which is where NH deer hunters pretty much max out, not sure what it would have done at 300

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Use the 30-06.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree with other posters use your 30-06. A BAR is a good rifle but quite heavy. A lot of people that I know of bought 300 win mag and found it had more recoil than they were comfortable with.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
30-06 for the win! Actually, if you shoot the .308 better or if it's lighter, go with that. With good bullets, it has PLENTY of power for elk in the situation you describe.

And - the other guys are right. By the end of the day, that semi-auto will get REAL heavy.

Last edited by czech1022; 04/01/19.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
How about Benelli R1 ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in the early 80’s some guys were running BAR’s in 300 Win for elk...That lasted a few years then many of those Brownies got relegated to timber gun action only... Bolt rifles have always ruled the landscape on the Oregon Coast.

John Burns may come along and provide evidence that a modern day tuned up AR platform can get it done near and far on elk and deer...

I actually own a Browning Bar Mk3 in 300wsm specifically for timber work. IMO it’s a better choice than the older BAR due to their heaviness...My Mk3 is light, fast handling, and surprisingly accurate for an auto loader 30 cal.

[Linked Image]

Scoped with a Leupold Vx3i 2.5-8x36mm
😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Autoloaders are generally noisy to load and unload and usually have a magazine easily dropped or lost in the field, particularly in the dark or thick brush. I have a nice 742 inherited from my wife’s dad that gets cleaned and oiled occasionally, but that’s about all. It was a tack driver at 100 yards the last time I zeroed for him in 1996. He did take a few deer and elk with it before he passed. I have no use for it as a hunting rifle. I’m saving it for the zombie apocalypse. Your mileage will vary.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It depends on the Autoloader and IMHO there are only two brands(not based on the AR) that are worthy. Browning and Benelli, you would have to purposely lose the magazine on a BAR and the Benelli latches up nice as well. The Benelli is the lighter of the two. My only issue is they are just a little more noisy then most bolt rifles if you slam the bolt shut.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I knew a guy who's entire hunting party used the Mod 742 in 30-06 every year on elk. My wife's cousin ( 110# women) used a Mod 740 in .280 on elk. I knew another fellow who, when we were in our 20's, used a BAR in 300WM on elk. These were all guys who lived/worked in Texas and they just used their deer rifles. There used to be a TV show of two brothers and their dad, here in Utah (Browning Country, lots of BARs in the field!), that hunted everything out here with 2 BARs in 7mm Mag and 1 300WM BAR. So, hey, if you want to pack it around...go for it! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 04/02/19.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Personally I am not a fan of a semi auto. Over the years the semi auto has been the most troublesome type of action I have observed. . Here in Colorado you may get warm dry weather or extremely cold & wet. Below freezing. Semi auto's are the most prone to failure in cold wet conditions. If you absolutely have to have a semi auto extra precautions need to be taken to insure proper function in inclement weather. As to caliber any thing from a 6.5 up with the proper bullet properly placed will work fine. The bolt action is a simple dependable type of action & would be my first recommendation.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I knew a guy who's entire hunting party used the Mod 742 in 30-06 every year on elk. My wife's cousin ( 110# women) used a Mod 740 in .280 on elk. I knew another fellow who, when we were in our 20's, used a BAR in 300WM on elk. These were all guys who lived/worked in Texas and they just used their deer rifles. There used to be a TV show of two brothers and their dad, here in Utah (Browning Country, lots of BARs in the field!), that hunted everything out here with 2 BARs in 7mm Mag and 1 300WM BAR. So, hey, if you want to pack it around...go for it! smile

Majestics Outdoors

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WAM
Autoloaders are generally noisy to load and unload and usually have a magazine easily dropped or lost in the field, particularly in the dark or thick brush. I have a nice 742 inherited from my wife’s dad that gets cleaned and oiled occasionally, but that’s about all. It was a tack driver at 100 yards the last time I zeroed for him in 1996. He did take a few deer and elk with it before he passed. I have no use for it as a hunting rifle. I’m saving it for the zombie apocalypse. Your mileage will vary.

The Mk3 has an attached hinged magazine so it won’t fall out. You have to learn “mag loading gymnastics” in the beginning to figure out the best way insert cartridges though...But, it’s good for brush work not having to worry about a mag coming out while a guy sneeks around.

To JK’s point, some hunters found good service with their BAR’s at moderate ranges. You definitely knew when a guy was hunting with one by the cadence and speed of the shots heard. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you want a semi auto, and you want a magnum.....it would be pretty hard to beat the BAR! But, with your list of calibers you presently own....get the .338 WM! You already have a very good .30 caliber, step up in bullet diameter! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I own a BAR in 7mm Rem Mag and a Benelli R1 in .30-06. Both are good shooters and the felt recoil on both are less than on the same weight bolt gun. Most probably due to the auto's weighing more and their recoil systems. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt elk with either when it comes to accuracy...but the R1 gets the nod on the weight concern.

You gotta stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Back in the early 80’s some guys were running BAR’s in 300 Win for elk...That lasted a few years then many of those Brownies got relegated to timber gun action only... Bolt rifles have always ruled the landscape on the Oregon Coast.

John Burns may come along and provide evidence that a modern day tuned up AR platform can get it done near and far on elk and deer...

I actually own a Browning Bar Mk3 in 300wsm specifically for timber work. IMO it’s a better choice than the older BAR due to their heaviness...My Mk3 is light, fast handling, and surprisingly accurate for an auto loader 30 cal.

[Linked Image]

Scoped with a Leupold Vx3i 2.5-8x36mm
😎

Why just a woods gun? Is it not sufficiently accurate for open country? Thanks

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The weight, lack of accuracy, and poor function of hunting-type autos have always made me wonder why anyone would select them. I guess I just don't get it. I'm sure someone has one that's great, but the vast bulk of them seem to fall well below that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

637 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,871
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.