Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I looked all over locally for some .224 95gr Sierra’s to seat in a new .22 Creedmoor case and send off to JGS and have a reamer made. Couldn’t find any.

Has anyone here had a reamer made for this combo. The .22 Creedmoor and the 95gr Sierra Match King? If so what was your freebore?

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No help but I would call JGS they may have already done this and may even have it in a CAD program. You can bet when something doesn't work out they will usually hear about it so you may be able to profit from others experience. Sierra may be able to get you a dimensional diagram if you can't get the actual bullet.

Graf's is showing five boxes in stock and even their flat rate shipping is pretty fast or was before I moved out into the country.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I called JGS and it was a no go. I called Sierra and they said they couldn’t help. But they would send me a handful of 95gr MK’s so I could sort it out myself. Thought that was stand up of them.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a zero throat 22 Creed reamer and could get you close if you need a hand. Don’t have any 95’s though.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Smack.......Once set up and shooting would love to hear what your velocity is, if above 2700 that will put the smack on everything up to Elk. Just saying . Good luck. Cheers NC
Have a question is this the 6.5 necked down or a totally different case? Thanks for your time!

Last edited by northcountry; 04/03/19.

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
IC B2

SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
You can neck down 6mm or 6.5 Creedmoor brass or just purchase .22 Creedmoor brass. I should be able to get 3200 and change with the 95gr MK.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yes, 3,100-3,200 fps should be attainable.

I'm hoping to get 88 gn ELD to 3,250+ fps and 75 ELD to 3450+ fps

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dave I know scenarshooter is running 75’s over 3500 with RL 26

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
that's screaming!

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I can't find RL-26 but H-4350 will get me close, and if it comes down to it I might try RL25 if my patience can't hold out.

IC B3

SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
The 95gr Sierra MK is a monster!

77gr MK (Left)
95gr MK (Right)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Seat one so the bearing surface to boattail transition is just above the cases neck shoulder junction. Then measure from the edge of the case mouth to where the ogive just starts to decrease diameter from the bearing surface to the ogive, probably diameter .221ish.

The distance from the case mouth to that ogive start usually gets me really close to finding the freebore I want. Although I'm usually just doing that to determine which of the 3 or more reamers a Smith already has is closest to what I need. I never have any luck talking to guys at ptg about a custom one. I think they usually just see what they have on the shelf and tell me that's exactly what I need.

Years ago I used my little method to pick between some different 243 reamers I wanted a reamer that a 105 amax would kiss at 2.80. They suggested something totally different than the one I picked. When it was done it kissed at 2.795. After a few hundred rounds it's up to 2.80 and still growing.

My method also put me about right on with a 300wsm, 30-06, 6.5x47 L, 28 nosler, and a few other builds.

I did mis by a bit on my 6.5-06 build but I'm not sure what happened there. The Smith that time kept pushing me towards another reamer he had. I said no and insisted on the shorter throat one. It came back with way too much freebore. A 140 vld would about fall out before it kissed. I asked him if he went ahead and used the longer one. He denied it and said I was crazy because even his longer one seated a 140 Sierra to the lands with plenty in the neck. I tried to explain that the 140 Sierra looked like a round nose compared to the vld. He acted like I had insulted his mother and religion and told me that if I knew what I was doing I'd only shoot the 140 Sierra gameking.

I was just thinking earlier about how I used to always have build going but haven't for a while. Remembering that Smith and a few others reminds me why. Not all Smith's understand setting up a reamer to a specific bullet profile so it all fits right and flies well. There are some that do and when I find one maybe I'll give a custom 22 creed a shot. It's on the top of my want list about now and I don't know of a factory gun offered with a 7 twist.

I always hated rolling the dice on a new reamer and waiting forever for it. I started to almost make my Smith decisions based on who had a reamer that looked like it would be what I needed. Some of them would have a gun around they'd chambered with their reamer and I'd send them a range of labeled dummies and they could see which on fit. That works well when its and option.

Bb

SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
BB,

I got several 95’s in hand. Seated them to where the boat tail junction was sliiiiiiightly above the case neck/shoulder junction. Came out with a COAL of 2.800. Perfect! It will run in a standard Rem700 short action mag box and skate in a AICS short action magazine. Sent the dummy to Grant at JGS. Their reamers have been running about 4 months.

I’m really torn between keeping it as a straight .22 CM chambering or going with a 40 degree shoulder. I’ve never had a problem with fire forming. I enjoy it, guess it’s my sick sort of therapy. Makes a guy wonder what velocity he can get out of a .22 CM Improved, RL-26 and a 30” , 6.5 twist barrel. Make for some interesting bench time.👍

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think I'd leave the shoulder where it's at but it's just personal preference. I believe its 30 but that's plenty steep for good consistant headspace and not having to trim all the time. I've ran a few AI's and some are great but there is still something I like about a little body taper and a 30 degree shoulder.

As much as I love a good 280 ai none of them I've had ever fit and fed as slick as a plain 700 KS I had in regular 280. The standard 06 rounds were designed to feed great and they do but I've loved the standard creedmoor design since it came out. It's pretty much an improved design without being too blocky.

The way I see it, the first time you fire a case in any chamber you are fire forming anyways improved or not. I like to get the first shot done on a case then I can bump the shoulder back to where I want it. Two thousandths or so on cases with taper and not so steep of shoulder say 30-06, and a few more on the square steeper shoulder stuff like AI or WSM etc. My creedmoor shoots and functions great with only a two bump.

I almost always full length size but set a batch of cases up for each gun. My main press is converted to lock and load bushings and I pretty much have a die set for each rifle. It means a lot of overlap like have 7 or 8 223 dies but I just find it easier to set the shoulder bump once and leave the die for that gun.

I really want a 22 Creedmoor. I was thinking 7 twist but with longer bullet options continuing to show up maybe I should go 6.5. I was happy about seeing 88 elds at .545 but then I see these Sierra's at .6 and think it's good to have options. For what I want to do with it the plastic tip and thin jacket on the eld should work well.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 04/10/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot a good sized herd of 22-250AI's.

Pass the 224 Kreedmire,hold the Fluff and pass the 88 ELD at 3200fps from a 22".

Hint...………………………….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That's what I want. A standard 22 creedmoor with a 22" tube gunning 88s. Should be great for my long range rock chuck spot and some of the longer range coyotes I come across. I'd use it for deer and speed goats too with no worries.

I've shot a ton of stuff over the last 10 years with my pacnor 3 groove 8 twist 223 AI faux Ti and 75 amaxs at 3000-3100ish. Stick pointed me rightly towards that sometime last decade. I'm thinking a 22 creedmoor with 88s is a logical next step. Might go rem sporter on this next one instead of mountain and figure the right handle for it to balance.

It's been a year or so since I've done a build. Not being able to walk half of last year slowed me down a bit. I've got to punch several thousand primers this year to catch back up.

Bb

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I believe .130 is the is what a local smith is using for the 90 Bergers/95 SMKs. Puts the 80 and 88 ELDMs in the sweet spot too with plenty to chase the lands out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
That's what I want. A standard 22 creedmoor with a 22" tube gunning 88s. Should be great for my long range rock chuck spot and some of the longer range coyotes I come across. I'd use it for deer and speed goats too with no worries.

I've shot a ton of stuff over the last 10 years with my pacnor 3 groove 8 twist 223 AI faux Ti and 75 amaxs at 3000-3100ish. Stick pointed me rightly towards that sometime last decade. I'm thinking a 22 creedmoor with 88s is a logical next step. Might go rem sporter on this next one instead of mountain and figure the right handle for it to balance.

It's been a year or so since I've done a build. Not being able to walk half of last year slowed me down a bit. I've got to punch several thousand primers this year to catch back up.

Bb

Prolly won't suck.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ohhhhhhhh how it's a WICKED Bitch. .090" freebore for me.

Hint...............(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What blanks does MGM use these days? Shilen?

Bb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've always found it prudent,to speak to folks in the first hand. MGM is actually fairly Skookum,on the phone. Now that James has 224 Kreedmire spouts,I'd simply get one of his flying off the shelf and be shooting in a coupla days.

Hint.............

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'll make the call. I've been wanting to go remage for a while and have actions on standby.

Thanks,
Bb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He's VERY good people.

Hint...............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I'll make the call. I've been wanting to go remage for a while and have actions on standby.

Thanks,
Bb

Out of curiosity, are you in Burley, Idaho?

Blasting rock chucks from across the canyon just downstream of Milner Res is one of the funnest things a guy can do, with or without his pants on.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I grew up in Burley but live in Rigby now. One of my best friends growing up lived out in Milner in the little log home near the dam. I spent many days as a kid and teenager wandering around that area with a rifle. I know that canyon and the rock chucks well.

My favorite chuck spot is about 5 miles from there. I'm going to head down there in a few weeks and do some chuck shooting. Spring down there is a good way to learn where to hold in the wind.

Bb

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Stick, by James I assume you're talking Northland and Criterion? He said his order will be in soon and has some mag sporters at 24". He can order me a 22". Any preference between MGM and Northland? I'm going to have to wait either way.

Bb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've more NSS spouts,so am jaded by default. James shoots straight,doesn't bullschit and cuts to the fhuqking chase...which is how I roll.

In a push,I'd defer NSS and that due to "multiple" transactions.(grin)

Place your order and "fret" nothing.

Hint................

SMACK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I spoke with Grant at JGS today and got the reamer and Go gauge ordered. I just had to be me and couldn’t resist the fluff! I had the reamer set up for the 95gr Sierra MK’s. I went with a minimum spec no turn neck and a fluff 🙃 40 degree shoulder. Had to be different, besides there are plenty of good smiths out there with standard 22 CM reamers. Have a 6.5 twist barrel in the works. I have some Rem700 short actions but I’m kicking around the idea of trying a Kelby Atlas Action. All that’s left is the wait for the reamer.

Last edited by SMACK; 04/17/19.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How is a 22 Creedmoor 40 degree shoulder different than a 22-250AI?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shoulders is shoulders...though their locations differ.

Hint....................

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The 30 degree shoulder is supposed to produce the most even pressures, standard deviation etc. I wonder if this is because the 40 shoulder has not been tested as much or it has more to do with the case size and design as most of the current accuracy cases have the 30 degree shoulder.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Of course you fhuqking wonder,because all you "shoot" is your mouth and Imagination. Congratulations?!?

Hint...……………………….

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fug Stick, you are always the stupidest person in the room.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trybone,

Like you have even "seen" said chambering. Congratulations?!?

Hint...…………………….

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oooooopsie.... tell Kerri thanks for the second 100 rounder..... haha
[Linked Image]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All "new" to me. Congratulations?!?

Oooopsie!

[Linked Image]

Do not "forget",that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery and your only "move".

Hint...................

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
556 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.