Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What is the best peep sight made and readily available now?

What about a replacement front as well? Or is there a peep that works well with factory front sight?

Which sights adjust the easiest?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Really depends on what you want it for brother.

Fastest
Cheapest
Most accurate
Most durable
Want to use a scope and have backup irons
Low light
Long range

If you want a scope option then the Skinner Dovetail peep with factory front or blade front works very well and with the blade sight is pretty stout. You can slide a Hi-Viz front in there and its awesome and probably betwixed the blade and factory bead in durability.

XS Ghost are great too if you don’t want a scope

Both the XS and Skinner Dovetail rear adjust and install easy and once you set them they are set

Many options

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 03/30/19.
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Really depends on what you want it for brother.

Fastest
Cheapest
Most accurate
Most durable
Want to use a scope and have backup irons
Low light
Long range

If you want a scope option then the Skinner Dovetail peep with factory front or blade front works very well and with the blade sight is pretty stout. You can slide a Hi-Viz front in there and its awesome and probably betwixed the blade and factory bead in durability.

XS Ghost are great too if you don’t want a scope

Both the XS and Skinner Dovetail rear adjust and install easy and once you set them they are set

Many options

This... Sorta...
Unless there is something with a click adjustment available...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I pretty much use XS Ghost front and rear and the Skinner Dovetail Peep with front blade painted white with appliance touchup paint.

The Skinner usually works fine with the factory bead front but I usually like to put my impact point on top of the post where the round bead kinda draws me to put the bead covering impact point. I have busted a couple of beads because I don’t use the hood. The blade just eliminates all of the thought. If the “dot” concept is what you are looking for, just replace the brass bead sight with a green fiber, its Super Fast.

This is the Skinner dovetail mount and front blade, its rock solid and very low.

The biggest turn off to the front sights is dickin with trying to get the right height, a major pain in the ass or stroke of luck for the fibers. The blade type is easy, you order one too big, set your aperture in the middle, and start filing at the shooting range until you get it where you like it, wipe some blue on the top, then paint it white. Then flood the front dovetail with red locktite, let it dry...Bada Bing.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 03/30/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had good luck with the skinner on marlins mount in the back scope base holes. they sell front sites to

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of the current production sights I like the Williams FP sight. I have them on eight rifles. Some needed a different front sight height, and some didn't. I'm using them on Winchester 94s, Marlin 336s, Savage 99s, and one 98 Mauser. Generally I've replaced the front sight even when not needed. The adjustments are repeatable, but I'm not sure if that is what the OP meant by easiest.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I ended up getting a Williams 5D for my Marlin 35 Rem years ago. Had to change the front sight out, otherwise it worked great. It came with 2 different size apertures, and was easy to adjust. Best "open" sight I ever used for deer.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
William's 5d series
Got one screwlock friction adjustment on a 94 .30-30
they come with .090 aperture
Front sight is fuzzy with that size.
Ordered 2 .050 ones front sight crisp and precise.
Robs ya of about 15 mins of light at dusk and dawn.
Front bead sight jewelers filed into blade/ post.
Took 1/16th" bit and enlarged aperture hole to .0625
Front sight crisp, little more light transmission
Rifle is a 1 moa to 1.5 moa shooter at 100yds off a bench and bags with leverevolution 160gr
Had to do slightly filing front sight on range to get elevation correct.

Got one screwlock click adjustment on a marlin .375 I just got
Front bead sight jewelers filed into blade/post also
Same .0625 mod done to apearture.
Ammo arriving this week.
Gonna zero it 1.0 to 1.25 inches high at 50 yds intially.
More than likely I will have to do some slight filing on the front sight to get it correct at 100yds depending on initial downrange feedback at the distance
I might get lucky and it might be on at 100 after zeroing at 50 and not have to file any.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
XS are my favorites and it's an odd instance when you won't need a taller front sight.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No major thing on the front sight. I learned that I could use a peep with a front bead some years back, but I'll always prefer a blade or post front.

I do kinda like the thought of a click adjustable aperture, but can't really imagine it'd be all that useful on a lever carbine. The XS set-up looks nice and simple.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I shoot 2 different cast bullets at different speeds and jacketed bullets at full speed in my 30-30 Winchester. The gun already has a Williams 5D. I would prefer the click-adjustable FP for moving around among those different loads

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
XS are my favorites and it's an odd instance when you won't need a taller front sight.

Ain’t dat the truth, I’ve installed near 100 sets over the years for myself and others and it happens more often than not. Luckily they send you a new sight quickly with a return envelope for your old one.

John, if you run your numbers through the ballistic tables with any of the receiver sights, measure your sight height because its not the 1.5” scoped default nor the .5 barrel mounted default, I think its close to an inch which does make a diff to us branch threading perfectionist.

Whether you go with Williams or not really depends on how rough you are with your guns or the type hunting, they can get bent, heavily scarred, or broken. I have some Williams sights on other rifles but none on my leverguns anymore.

Most folks can get by for life with these two items and the factory front

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/211355/williams-wdos-dovetail-open-sight-less-blade-aluminum-black

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...sight-ghost-ring-aperture-aluminum-black

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 03/31/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
What is the best peep sight made and readily available now?

What about a replacement front as well? Or is there a peep that works well with factory front sight?

Which sights adjust the easiest?

What is the application? "Best" is a slippery target.

For a receiver mount on a lever action or general hunting rifle the Williams FP is the most precisely and easily adjustable and widely available for a variety of rifles.

For a set and forget an XS or a Skinner will both serve well and are extremely strong. The Skinner will generally sit lower and both companies offer replacement front sight blades, the Skinner flat black .1" wide front blade makes a nice sight picture, the XS sights almost all have a white stripe down the blade which some folks swear by. The Skinners generally cost less for the basic sight and front blades and has very personalized customer service, XS can be kind of a pain to get a hold of sometimes; my experience with them varies from answering the phone right away to ignoring repeated phone calls and emails. Andy at Skinner will get back to you with a personalized email generally the same day you send one, I've had replies from him even on a Saturday.

If you can do simple algebra (X" over sight radius = Y" at 100 yards) you can adjust the XS and Skinner by thread count, although the Skinner windage is purely guess and by golly without a measuring device of some kind. They work, but a Williams has fairly accurate clicks for both elevation and windage.

If you're looking at a tang sight I can say with some certainty to stay away from the Marbles - it wobbles in the upright position. A soule sight of some kind is extremely precise but you pay for it. Various small makers offer those and you can start in the $200 range and go all the way up to $500 or more. I have a Lee Shaver "economy" Soule - $260 - but even at this level it offers extremely precise vernier adjustments.

Strong, set and forget - XS or Skinner.
Precise adjustments - Williams
Really precise adjustments - Soule type.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the exact opposite customer service as above, Skinner never answers my calls nor returns any email other than the auto reply.
Even after assuance from the lady on the phone, I still get nuthin.

But, I still buy from them

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 04/01/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Being a long time fan of traditional lever guns and aperture sights I've tried about every combination available over the years. All my lever guns now wear Williams FP receiver sights in the rear and Williams green fiber optic fronts. The combination of precision and visibilty in low light simply cannot be beat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with blackheart on the green for sure and Williams has a ghost ring with fiber on each side too for real dark conditions. The problem is we all have a different opinion of low light.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/9...wgrs-ghost-ring-aperature-aluminum-black

In my case in low light I can see the green glowng but can’t see the animal, but with a scope I can see the animal.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 04/01/19.
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm gonna go both ways here... grin
Probably got something to do with driving a Subaru

Got two marlin carbines coming. A 336 and an 1894. One is due for delivery tomorrow, and the other is patiently waiting for me to arrange funds.

I do believe that the 336 is going to have a Williams FP on it. And maybe a fiber optic front or maybe not.

The 1894 will likely find itself wearing XS sights.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Subaru can go where a locked-n-cocked jeep won’t on several occasions.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Subaru can go where a locked-n-cocked jeep won’t on several occasions.
Never seen a Subaru win any mud boggin contests around here. Always a Jeep or Land Rover.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Strictly off-road a Jeep. When you take into account most places we travel are some kinda improved surface or trail...AWD.

I’ve seen locked n cocked jeeps slide off the road in ice and snow on the way to a ski slope whilst the subaru goes up without spinning a tire.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 04/03/19.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.