Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can report the snow at mile 29 on nabesna road is all but gone.. We road to Tanada lake on sleds last weekend, and nothing better riding sleds across the tundra with no snow.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
I can report the snow at mile 29 on nabesna road is all but gone.. We road to Tanada lake on sleds last weekend, and nothing better riding sleds across the tundra with no snow.

You sitting on a pillow right now while writing that I take it?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
SD

When I shot my Brown bear I was amazed that the shoulder blade was pretty thin. If I remember right I was using a .375 with 260 gr. partitions, and it blasted right through.

I was also surprised that the chest cavity seemed pretty small for such a big animal

.Lefty

You might be remembering the picture I posted of OlBlue's Kodiak bear scapula. It was a beautiful sunny day and we had all kinds of time. I fleshed a scapula and took a picture of Mel's orange-handled knife through the scapula. The picture is far from perfect, but considering you can see an orange knife THROUGH the bone it makes my point perfectly. It is somewhere here in cyberspace.

As for Partitions, they are reasonable bullets, but they usually cost more than premium bullets and frankly, I have caught FAR too many of them to consider them a premium bullet. If I recover a bullet it is unlikely I will use that bullet again.

I like your logic so from here on out I'm not using Barnes tsx bullets I recovered one in a elk, same for partitions recovered them on a moose. But the eld-x no recovery so keep using. Sierra gameking no recovery keep using. Man I'm saving money now lol..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S

In the '60s we used to go there every spring to shoot "rats for the hides. I am guessing we are at least a month early there.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Originally Posted by 79S

I'm not riding no 95 skidoo with no suspension.. so no to the pillow...

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S
SD

When I shot my Brown bear I was amazed that the shoulder blade was pretty thin. If I remember right I was using a .375 with 260 gr. partitions, and it blasted right through.

I was also surprised that the chest cavity seemed pretty small for such a big animal

.Lefty

You might be remembering the picture I posted of OlBlue's Kodiak bear scapula. It was a beautiful sunny day and we had all kinds of time. I fleshed a scapula and took a picture of Mel's orange-handled knife through the scapula. The picture is far from perfect, but considering you can see an orange knife THROUGH the bone it makes my point perfectly. It is somewhere here in cyberspace.

As for Partitions, they are reasonable bullets, but they usually cost more than premium bullets and frankly, I have caught FAR too many of them to consider them a premium bullet. If I recover a bullet it is unlikely I will use that bullet again.

I like your logic so from here on out I'm not using Barnes tsx bullets I recovered one in a elk, same for partitions recovered them on a moose. But the eld-x no recovery so keep using. Sierra gameking no recovery keep using. Man I'm saving money now lol..

Last time I looked the Partitions were the most expensive.

Not paying extra for ordinary...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

In the '60s we used to go there every spring to shoot "rats for the hides. I am guessing we are at least a month early there.

What were you doing with hides? I'm assuming selling them..

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
SD

.Lefty

Last time I looked the Partitions were the most expensive.

Not paying extra for ordinary...

I buy the seconds I haven't bought nosler 1st in years.. but I'm a huge hornady fan, the eld-x is a impressive bullet. I like tsx because they very easy bullet to get to shoot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Well you're lucky because I've done exactly that out in King Salmon once chasing caribou in February. My back still hurts I think!

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Well you're lucky because I've done exactly that out in King Salmon once chasing caribou in February. My back still hurts I think!

I have a bearcat and it's comfortable machine and we took it easy.. hopefully next year when we do the trip again be more snow..

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those bearcats are like caddys! Big heavy machines and they do ride nice! Be a bitch to get unstuck though I bet.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those bearcats are like caddys! Big heavy machines and they do ride nice! Be a bitch to get unstuck though I bet.

Never ride alone take a couple suckers uh I mean friends to go riding with you lol..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

What were you doing with hides? I'm assuming selling them..

Yup, a 22 to the head is no big deal on price for AK rats because they shaft us on price every time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’d go in the opposite direction and use whatever rifle you shot the worst and had the least amount of confidence in. Since you’re paying the guide you might as well make him work for it and make it an exciting and memorable trip. Have fun. 👍

ROFL

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I would personally go with the lightest rifle to carry.

The 300Rum, 200 partition @ 3,100 would be brutal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SU35
I would personally go with the lightest rifle to carry.

The 300Rum, 200 partition @ 3,100 would be brutal.

Especially if it turned out to be the lightest rifle...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always interesting to read about what hunters consider adequate for interior grizzlies.

Don't vast experience with them, but do have some, including in Alaska, and friends who took them here in Montana when the season was still open. They are not small bears here, as some might assume. One spring bear, snared by biologists, bottomed out an 800-pound scale. It would have easily weighed well over 1000 in the fall.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang, some lunker bears there~

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, except we haven't has a hunting season since the early 1990's. When we do, there will be some BIG bears taken.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
To answer the questions posed, 300 Rum is lighter by a bit, over the 375.

700 SS bbl'd action, Slimline brake, Micky rem classic, edge fill

Talley's, Zeiss HD5, RZ600.

I'll have to weight it, thinking 8ish lbs . The 375 is pushing 10 lbs.

Because the bears there are 7-8 footers, and the possibility of long walks and shots, thinking the 300rum with 200 partitions is the way to go.

Tony

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
166 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 15 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.