Print Thread
Hop To
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
If you had the chance to go on a guided rifle hunt in NW Wyoming, is there a particular time in October that you would prefer and why?

Thanks.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Earlier the better to hit bugling/rut

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It can be rather warm in early Oct, and though the Elk may still be rutting, if it is pretty warm out they tend to "brush up". Not a big problem if you don't mind hunting the timber, but some outfitters may discourage that method.

Decide on your outfitter and discuss with them the time of year that may best suit you.

Byron

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Byron has some good input re: ask the outfitter. Especially if you are talking access to a ranch the outfitter will have much better advice than us. If the outfitter is saying it doesn't matter, some years are better early Oct, some years better late Oct then it probably doesn't matter. You're looking at a post-rut hunt so (if on public land) food and isolation (if you're looking for a bull) are probably most important. I've never hunted elk in Wyo where water was a limitation. Maybe Red Desert area, I haven't drawn that tag yet.

If the outfitter says it doesn't matter then I pick early Oct over late. Can you still have blizzards in early Oct? Yes. But (if you're in the backcountry) you can typically wait them out/keep hunting through them. Late Oct blizzards make me more nervous. Again, not a consideration if you're on a ranch.

Our camp was in the Bighorns this year (we've only hunted public land), no bugling the 3rd week of Sep. No bugling 4th week. 1 Oct (the day archery closed/first day of cow only) I sat in the midst of a bugle serenade! It was lovely to behold. So even early Oct sometimes still bugling. And you might occasionally hear a bugle in later Oct, but it's less common. One of our camp members killed a 6x6 hanging out, bugling, with 3-4 cows in late Oct about 4 years ago in the Tetons. He said it was one of the damndest things.

Otherwise I consider the 3rd or 4th week of September the best time to hunt elk. Some units (i.e. WY Area 60/Thorofare) are open for rifle season at that time. I've only hunted twice when bulls would respond/come in to bugling with either a muzzleloader or a rifle, and it's awesome! Just as fun as turkey hunting.

Here's a picture of a bull hanging out in the Bighorns last year. Taken through 10x binos. Not a huge bull, and he was isolated. I was about 1000-1200 yards away (I don't remember which), and there's a huge section of canyon timber between me and him.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've guided in 60 and 70 for elk. Rifle starts on sept 20. 60 used to open on the 10th. And hunted for myself in several other units. I'd say it depends. Even within the same area. Some camps I almost wouldn't go unless I could hunt the first week of rifle. Some camps do very well during the migration. But hunting late can be tough conditions. Some of the hard to draw premium tags in the NW are very late hunts and can be excellent.

I'd be a little more cautious about the outfitter saying timing doesn't matter. Some camps and especially private ranches it may not matter that much. I also guide on a private ranch and yeah weather can sure have an impact, but we do kill good bulls any part of the season.

But it dang sure matters in some.

IC B2

C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks to everyone, I appreciate the info.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 14 invisible), 1,755 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.