Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Been working up a load for my .280 with the 150 gr. ELD-X bullet, using Alliant RL26 powder. Results have been very satisfactory- sub-MOA accuracy, and 3020 fps MV out of my .280. Having applied for an RFW elk permit here in CO, with enough pref points to draw, it's pretty certain I will draw.
I'm thinking I will leave my .300 Wby. and .270 WSM behind this season, and give the .280 some 'out of the safe' time this year. My tried-and-true load for this .280 has been the 140 gr. Barnes TTSX, with comparable accuracy to the ELD-X, but the Hornady bullet offers better wind drift numbers.

Given the choice of the two bullets, which would you choose? Yeah, I know, both will work, I just don't have any actual field experience with the ELD-X.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have shot several elk with my .280 I'm using the 162 ELD-X . There is no reason the 150 shouldn't be a good round. Last year, 2 elk, 2 shots to the head, 200yds. What else can you want?? Maybe someone to pack it out for you.
Use the load your rifle will shoot accurately, Then practice shooting. Accuracy trumps size.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
150 Eldx mv 2790, 409 yards, 7mm-08

[Linked Image]

I’m a believer.

Edit to add not a head shot. Broadside through the chest tight to the shoulder. Wrecked both lungs and exited.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Given the size of your target I would not necessarily choose the most accurate or slippery-coefficiented bullet, but the most adequate performance-wise, except if you intend to take your shot from a different county, of course.

I am sure the ELD-X would do the job, specially if the bullet does not hit a heavy bone like the humerous joint on its entry, but I am also sure there are better choices.

Ye ole Parition, for example, or your tried-and-true TTSX load, whose coefficient is not all that bad.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My 280 AI likes the 162 grain ELD-X, the 150 should work also.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
last year saw a 143gr eldx off a shoulder of an elk at 260 yds in a large grassy plain. This was out if the deadly 6.5 Creedmoor. One drop of blood. Elk ran off, never saw it or any sign of blood again.

I'm sure it will be fine if its in the breadbasket, but anywhere else, I'm out. YMMV.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
last year saw a 143gr eldx off a shoulder of an elk at 260 yds in a large grassy plain. This was out if the deadly 6.5 Creedmoor. One drop of blood. Elk ran off, never saw it or any sign of blood again.

I'm sure it will be fine if its in the breadbasket, but anywhere else, I'm out. YMMV.

Are you saying the bullet bounced off?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Never used them, never will. I have witnessed core and jacket separation with Interlock and SST’s so I call BS on their 80-90% weight retention. Maybe at 1,800 fps impact velocity.... Happy Trails

Last edited by WAM; 04/05/19.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by WAM
Never used them, never will. I have witnessed core and jacket separation with Interlock and SST’s so I call BS on their 80-90% wight retention. Happy Trails

Makes perfect sense.....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Sounds like 32 ACP story smile

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I assure you the Barnes 140gr TSX will completely penetrate an elk. Even thru both shoulders & sharp angles. This can be accomplished with a 7x57 or a 7-08. Same with a 270 & the 130gr TSX. I use a 6.5 & have never had a Barnes 120gr TSX fail me. These bullets will not fail you if properly placed. One bit of advice . Be prepared for a close shot of under 150yds. Practice off hand shooting. . It is very likely you will get a close shot where off hand shooting will be your only choice. Many talk about long range shooting but reality is close in shooting happens. Be prepared.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Hesp,
Concur on the TTSX. The boys at Barnes recommended and use the 130 gr TTSX in their .270 WSM for deer and elk. I don’t see why the 140 TTSX would be any different. Personally, I have taken several elk at various ranges out past 250 yards with the 150 gr TTSX out of my 7mm Weatherby with pass through and one shot kills. I have worked up a 140 gr TTSX for my 7x57 which I hope to deer hunt with this fall, but wouldn’t hesitate to shoot elk with that load at sensible ranges. I too have had close shots where a lesser bullet may have failed at high velocity. I have taken mule deer and elk from 38 to 308 yards with Barnes TTSX from 7mm and .300 magnums and none have failed and never recovered one. I did find a shard of a copper petal in a roast once. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Bounced off? I don't know. Penetrated? I don't know. Elk ran strong for 1/4 mile, searched rest of day, nothing. Watched thru spotting scope as bullet hit shoulder. Sounded like a solid hit. So you tell me.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hope I'm not stealing the thread. However, I'm just about to start working up a load for my .280 Rem. I have both the Hornady 150 ELDX and the Nosler 150 ABLR. Is the Nosler a tougher bullet than the Hornady or are they comparable in performance?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Considering the time , effort & money an out of state hunter or any hunter would invest in an elk hunt, also gaining preference points. Why would you not want to use the toughest deepest penetrating bullet available. I have watched hunters drag themselves out of warm sleeping bags on early dark cold mornings. Hunt till dark & crash getting ready for the next morning.. Do this several mornings in a row. Dead tired, I have seen hunters give up & leave early. So if after all this effort you stick it out & spot a legal elk!!! , Wouldn't you want the toughest deepest penetrating bullet available.. That bullet for me is a one piece homogeneous copper bullet. Pick your brand. Seems to make no difference when it is placed accurately. As long as the mono's are available I will not use a lead core bullet of any kind.on elk. You don't always get a picture perfect broadside shot. Most of the elk I have shot has been at an angle. Mostly going away. Some times up hill. Some times small windows going thru willow or aspen patches. What ever caliber you prefer the mono's make them deadly on elk .

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I load for when everything goes wrong, Barnes in this case, and I'd not look back.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Fwiw, have killed no elk with either bullet, the 150g ELD-X & the ABLR--but have on deer.

No doubt they would kill an elk but I sure wouldn't employ either...unless it was at long range lower velocities. The ELD-X was better than the ABLR (for me) as it was less expansive than the ABLR at 200 yards & change.

Imagine the heavier 162g ELD-X would be fine for elks.

Last edited by tomk; 04/07/19. Reason: word choice--drugs or alcohol, I imagine...

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was wondering about the ELD-X toughness.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it just a cup and core, with a high bc ?

A hollow point at that, with a plastic tip to start expansion.

I don't see how it can retain 80-90%....

Pass me a partition, Accubond or Scirocco.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
162 eldx, but out of a 7mm Rem Mag

[Linked Image]

One shot, he went maybe 20 feet.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The ELD-X is a C&C bullet with a catchy name. Copper alloy jacket with a lead alloy core. Other than a high BC , the same as any other jacketed bullet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 18 invisible), 1,376 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,219
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.