Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13714563 04/04/19
U
Usafbee Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Anybody ever hunt the Salmon zone in Idaho?

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hunted there 2 years ago and going back this year. I am still a newby on elk hunting with three season, but no elk. Lots of other hunters, there but we found it easy to get away from the crowds.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Don't want to put a damper on your hunt dreams but the Salmon zone is sold out for non- residents for 2019. In 2020 there will be 235 or so fewer tags for non residents. The F&G dept has been telling non residents that elk are plentiful and easy access only to overload the area with new elk hunters from out of state which has pissed off the locals to no end, thus the push to reduce tags which will be implemented next year.The ID. dept. of F&G is interested in only one thing, soaking the non resident hunters for as much as they can cause they know the elk numbers taken by them are insignificant.
Your call, the F&G dept. would love to hear from you as long as you include your Credit Card number in the conversation.
Good Hunting
Lj

U
Usafbee Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
I actually have tags for the 2019 season in the Salmon zone, definitely have a couple of trips planned for scouting, just wondering if anyone had first hand experience regarding the zone. I know there were recently some burns in that area. Definitely would love to harvest an elk but also have other tags. Just want to experience it and have a great time. Thanks for the response LJ.

U
Usafbee Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
And scoony👌

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I grew up in the Salmon, Challis area. Hunted and guided there for a long time. Still hunt there. It is very steep, rough country. Most people aren't in good enough physical condition to hunt it well. If you are, you can get away from the people. You better have a plan if you kill an elk very far back or you won't get it out. Wolves have reduced elk numbers in many areas, but you can still kill an elk and have a good hunt. Might line up an outfitter, or someone with horses to pack out your game if you kill it. Beautiful, rugged country.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
ATSE, was one of your school teachers named Joyce Smith?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
ATSE, was one of your school teachers named Joyce Smith?

My mom.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You must be Bart.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You must be Bart.

Yep

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I grew up with your mom, actually we were high school sweethearts. Are you still with Mont F&G?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I grew up with your mom, actually we were high school sweethearts. Are you still with Mont F&G?

Wildlife services. Govt trapper.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Joyce said you had the perfect job in that when you had a problem, you got to shoot it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Saves on stress that way.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Next time you talk to you mom, tell her you bumped into Bill on the inner net. She'll be surprised. And I hope she is doing well. She is special.

Last edited by Remington6MM; 04/04/19.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As far as elk hunting, even I would not take advice from me, but I will give you two bits of advice that may be helpful.

1. Take tire chains. They must put crisco in the mud out there. The snow was not bad to drive through, but once it melted, that mud was something else. It is not fun when your truck is always sliding towards the side of the trail that drops off.

2. Download the Avenza app and then search for and download the Motor vehicle use maps. For example: "Salmon-Challis NF Challis-Yankee Fork RD West Side Motor Vehicle Use Map 2018 MVUM" Depending on where you hunt, there are at least 3 or 4 maps you will need. These will greatly help in navigating the road network.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Usafbee, I have been hunting wolves in that area since de-listing, congrats on your tag it is amazing country. There are a ton of roads that carry lots of road hunters. If you are willing to walk, this means steep hiking through tons of blowdown, you will find Elk. I find it much easier to get w/in shooting range of Elk than wolves. Be prepared for weather, I have seen heavy snow in mid October at 5000'. Good luck and have fun.

atse, have you already killed all the wolves? If not where should I look?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Usafbee, I have been hunting wolves in that area since de-listing, congrats on your tag it is amazing country. There are a ton of roads that carry lots of road hunters. If you are willing to walk, this means steep hiking through tons of blowdown, you will find Elk. I find it much easier to get w/in shooting range of Elk than wolves. Be prepared for weather, I have seen heavy snow in mid October at 5000'. Good luck and have fun.

atse, have you already killed all the wolves? If not where should I look?

mike r

I don't hunt wolves much in idaho. I work in montana. In idaho the Morgan creek area North of Challis has a lot of wolves in it. The wilderness, accessible by backcountry air strips, might be another option if one was willing to fly. Lots of wolves in the back country.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks atse, Morgan Creek sounds more doable and I like Challis. the search continues.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
U
Usafbee Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Thanks for all the info guys, it’s much appreciated.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live just south of salmon, I hunt mostly archery tags in units just south of where you speak. If you need some mules to jerk yer kill outta a hole, pm me. If I am around I would like 2 help.

John

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Angus,

Good on you for offering to help the OP. Not very men like you these days, but I see a lot of them here on the fire!

Dan

U
Usafbee Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Thanks John, Hopefully I have the opportunity to take you up on that. I won’t get to go up early but hunting with 3 other guys and a couple are going up there a couple times this year prior to hunt to do some scouting. I would love to come up early but my 12 year old wants to head south to catch some redfish and snapper!

Paul

T
T
John, I am one of the other guys who will be hunting with Paul this fall. I have been to Idaho several times, but this will be my first trip to the Salmon area. I plan to visit for a few days in July to check out the area and do a bit of early scouting.

Thank you for offering to help us pack out a kill. That is very kind of you, and I hope we have a chance to take you up on the offer. Either Paul or will try to PM you and maybe exchange contact info.

Trevor

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (69sportfury, 338reddog, 2500HD, 3333vl, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,123
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.