Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Search function didnt yield what I needed.

Ive googled the offerings from Mystery ranch, Kifaru, KUIU, and Eblerstock for scabbards and slings.

I sure wish I lived where I could try these out first hand, but not many back pack hunting merchants here on the gulf coast.

How do you pack your rifle and what opinions do you have? Ill be using it on hunts at or near the treeline so lots of sitting and glassing.

Do you like across the chest, on one side, or completely on your back? Brands?

Thanks.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I bought a Kifaru gun bearer last year and I will never use anything else. I love it

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks laker. for the price, they are definitely worth trying out.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Second the Kifaru gun bearer. I have been using it hooked to my the belt of my pack. My new pack will allow me move it from my belt to the back of my pack when I don't need quick access to my rifle.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've used several different Eblerstock packs and really like the built in scabbard when I don't need quick access. For walking in before daylight, especially uphill, I really like Eblerstock.

Picked up a Kifaru gun bearer to try on a non-Eblerstock pack and see how it goes this year. Haven't had it out yet but when setting it up on the pack it seems like it will be pretty good, especially for quick access.....also won't be behind me so I won't land on it when going down steep spots and I end up sliding into second base.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I used to shove my buttstock into an open belt pouch on my shooting side of my pack, and use the compression straps to secure the rifle to the pack. Worked just fine but getting quick access wasn't easy.

Now I have a Kifaru gun bearer but only use the "saddle" or "buttstock holder" or whatever you call it. I have it on my pack belt, and still use the top compression strap to hold the barrel and rifle in place. If I need it quickly, I lift the buttstock out of the holder then lower the rifle quickly and slip the barrel out of the top compression strap and I am ready to shoot.

I barely even use slings anymore.

Last edited by T_Inman; 04/07/19. Reason: Spelling

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Now I have a Kufaru gun bearer but only use the "saddle" or "buttstock holder" or whatever you call it. I have it on my pack belt, and still use the top compression strap to hold the barrel and rifle in place.

Sounds like a good way to go, I'll have to try that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another + for the Kifaru gun bearer.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Another Gun Bearer fan here... Not sure how I ever backpacked 5 plus miles in without one... Both hands free for treking poles or just grabbing something when heading up a steep slope, yet the rifle can get into play very fast and quietly.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Kifaru Universal Gun Bearer on my EXO 3500 pack. Both are fantastic pieces of gear.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I can't stand the gunbearer in "rifle in your face" mode. Could certainly make it work the way tinman describes.

I use the stone glacier version when backpacking. Just the buttstock holder, with barrel in a compression strap. I'm willing to sacrifice some speed for more positive retention.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks a bunch fellas. For the price, and reviews here I'm giving the Kifaru a trial run. Thanks.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I love the Gunbearer, it takes a bit of adjustment and getting used to the barrel in the field of view, but works well. My rifles tend to hang “scope down” and I adjust so the bolt handle is at the top of the waist belt. I also made a fastex buckle strap for the top with fat shrink tubing to keep it stiff. One note, if you fall in the rocks like I tend to, the buttstock slams into the ground. Getting rid of the sling screws helps with snagging.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't tried it yet but the Safari sling gets a lot of high reviews. It's supposed to work very well with back packs. It's worth a look anyway.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I either use a gun bearer up front under my arm pit or strap my rifle to the side of the pack. No problems with either. I like the GB up front when hunting in big bear land, makes it a lot quicker to get into battery.

Tanner

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
When's the next big bear hunt, sign me up!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2020 for me...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I really don't like the Kifaru gun bearer, but I haven't found anything that works better so I will continue to use it.

The Franken stud works good also and just started to use it last year. Not as stable as the gun bearer, but I have to use it more.

Lefty

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Tanner
2020 for me...

Still working with Steve?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Tanner
2020 for me...

Still working with Steve?

possibly!

Tanner

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,504
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.