Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Hi. For years I've had a recoil-reducing stock (pretty sure it's a Blackhawk) on my Mossberg 500. When I bought it, I did not realize it would raise my line of sight above the sights/ribs of a shotgun, being it's the 'tactical/adjustable LOP' AR-style stock that requires taller sights. Once I installed it, I ended up having to buy a scope for it and, while it is a whole lot of fun to shoot with heavy loads, it became inadequate for its intended purpose: CQDefense. Does anyone here know if the standard Blackhawk recoil-reducing stock is at least as good at reducing recoil as the tactical one?

Thank you.

I just looked up the 'standard' stock, and it doesn't look like it has any significant drop in comb, so I may be SOOL.

Last edited by Sevastopol; 04/06/19.
BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Blackhawk bought out or was joined to the original company that produced your stock. I can't remember the name offhand but I shot a shotgun with an early version many years ago. That gun was modified with this stock for an individual officer to use as they had problems with the issued slug and buckshot loads. In my limited experience, I don't know of any other department is sing these stocks.

The design received a lot of hype when it came out but quickly fell out of the picture. What I seem to recall is the stock did not weather adverse field conditions very well. When one could clean it every day in difficult circumstances it seemed fine but dirt, grit, chaff, ice, et al seemed to do it in. I did not see any of these stocks used in any sort of shotgun competition though there might be some usage now that Blackhawk puts their name on them and there are a fair number of shooters sponsored by Blackhawk.

I don't recall the stock having a high comb but that does not mean there weren't changes made later on to fit perceived market need. I would consider a red dot of some sort as centering the target in the sight will get one pretty close at house distances even if the dot is not turned on. My HD carbine is set up like that and I don't have any trouble quickly hitting a B-27 target at 10-25 feet in low light conditions. The trick is to get glass with very little tint as that works like sunglasses making it hard to see more than very general shapes in the dark.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I did have a red dot sight on it for a while, but I was worried that it wouldn't hold up to the recoil. Maybe I'll throw it back on and not worry about it. I do have a cheap 1x Weaver Kaspa that I could throw on there, too. I think It might take the recoil better than the red dot, even if I sacrifice some time in acquiring the target. Or maybe I should man up and put a standard stock on it and skip shooting the super heavy loads.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Buy a red dot in the $200+ range like a decent scope rather than a $50 blister pack special and you should be fine. I went the scope route for a bit but found a red dot or reflex sight was much more forgiving of a poor or hasty gun mount.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Buy a red dot in the $200+ range like a decent scope rather than a $50 blister pack special and you should be fine. I went the scope route for a bit but found a red dot or reflex sight was much more forgiving of a poor or hasty gun mount.

That makes sense. Now my problem is I'll have to buy a rifle to mount the 4x scope I currently have on the shot gun. :-)

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.