24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm considering doing a custom on this action. Are there any "gotcha" problems with it? Apart from the spendy Timney trigger, all looks OK so far.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I'll start off by asking what kind of custom you're trying to build. If it's a simple hunting rifle, I'd probably stay with the factory trigger. Aftermarket stock choices are pretty ok. Anything other than a basic hunting rifle, I'd skip it. The aftermarket support isn't there, whether it's parts or 'smiths.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No need for a Timney trigger either. Add a new barrel, bed it in a stock, rock out.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
They can be made into nice looking customs.

http://www.rjrenner.com/

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
hunting rifle.
My mechanic wants me to put together a hunting rifle and I found a 77 tang as a donor.
I'm thinking barrel, stock and finish

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't know the Tang and if it has the angled bedding system. You might break off more then you can chew. Another problem is the upper tang on the receiver, It needs clearance or a rod bedded into the wrist or the wrist will crack.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Ok, a hunting rifle its to be then. Do you have just the action, barreled action, or complete rifle? What caliber were you considering? How about planned overall weight sans scope? Finally, what's the overall price cap?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
I don't know the Tang and if it has the angled bedding system. You might break off more then you can chew. Another problem is the upper tang on the receiver, It needs clearance or a rod bedded into the wrist or the wrist will crack.

Yes, tangs have the angled front bedding. I never had a problem with the angled front screw bedding in properly using bedding compound. Inletting into the wood only I have not tried- and won't. All my rifles of every flavor have been bedded using bedding compound. Much less work with equal or superior fit.

ALL receiver screws on all makes and models need clearance for the reason stated. I cannot recall ever encountering a stock Ruger that came from the factory without screw clearance, and the point is certainly valid. Weatherby on the other hand was terrible about this - at least when they first moved operations to Japan. 3 shots would crack the wrist. I fixed a bunch before and after the wrist cracked. Mostly after.

Be sure to bed the receiver in flat. Rugers, and most other brands, usually are not - hence the reason for bedding compound. And torque wrenches, apparently. Flat largely eliminates any need to torque screws, at least on a hunting rifle.

I have two tangs currently and until I die. Never should have sold the 77V...... or I'd have 3. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have had good results with Ruger 77's, Thumb tang safety. I several, and all shoot very well. Bedding the angled recoil lug is not really that hard. I really like them, and find them to be very accurate, when set up correctly.
They make excellent hunting rifles.
re

Beware the man with one gun, for he likely knows how to use it...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las

Yes, tangs have the angled front bedding. I never had a problem with the angled front screw bedding in properly using bedding compound. Inletting into the wood only I have not tried- and won't. All my rifles of every flavor have been bedded using bedding compound. Much less work with equal or superior fit.

ALL receiver screws on all makes and models need clearance for the reason stated. I cannot recall ever encountering a stock Ruger that came from the factory without screw clearance, and the point is certainly valid. Weatherby on the other hand was terrible about this - at least when they first moved operations to Japan. 3 shots would crack the wrist. I fixed a bunch before and after the wrist cracked. Mostly after.

Be sure to bed the receiver in flat. Rugers, and most other brands, usually are not - hence the reason for bedding compound. And torque wrenches, apparently. Flat largely eliminates any need to torque screws, at least on a hunting rifle.

I have two tangs currently and until I die. Never should have sold the 77V...... or I'd have 3. smile

I have inletted more than a few of the angled front action screws and despise them for it. I have a V in 243 and an R in 300WM that I used as a back-up rifle for years. Both are and will stay in their factory wood stocks. The V shoots extremely well and the 300 is more than good enough.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am looking at a complete rifle in 7 mag. The barrel has been shortened and the stock is in rough shape. This was probably a p/u gun. I would be re barrelling to 7 mag using a lightweight contour and 26". He likes the idea of a thumbhole, so I was thinking Boyd's featherweight TH stock. The action appears rust/pit free, so maybe I can polish and blue. If I find pits then blast and cerakote.

I also found a 77 in 280. The barrel is very pitted on the bore. I'm sure the bolt face can be opened up, but I don't know about a potential feed problem. The 280 is just a barrelled action.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by las

I have inletted more than a few of the angled front action screws and despise them for it. I have a V in 243 and an R in 300WM that I used as a back-up rifle for years. Both are and will stay in their factory wood stocks. The V shoots extremely well and the 300 is more than good enough.

Yes, a pain but the system works. Ruger had after market barrels for a time and then made their own so it got better.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
I am looking at a complete rifle in 7 mag. The barrel has been shortened and the stock is in rough shape. This was probably a p/u gun. I would be re barrelling to 7 mag using a lightweight contour and 26". He likes the idea of a thumbhole, so I was thinking Boyd's featherweight TH stock. The action appears rust/pit free, so maybe I can polish and blue. If I find pits then blast and cerakote.

I also found a 77 in 280. The barrel is very pitted on the bore. I'm sure the bolt face can be opened up, but I don't know about a potential feed problem. The 280 is just a barrelled action.

Poor choice of receiver/chamberings,due their trite COAL "latitude". I'd much rather shoot lesser capacity and the best of bullets,rather than the reverse.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las

Yes, a pain but the system works. Ruger had after market barrels for a time and then made their own so it got better.

While it works it adds nothing but complexity to a system in need of none.

Ruger specified bores .003" oversize for a while on attorney's "orders." It made for a bunch of lousy barrels. They went through a number of changes in barrel sourcing over the years.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Ruger specified bores .003" oversize for a while on attorney's "orders."

Never heard that before.

Last edited by dave284; 04/16/19.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Early on after the "Warning" was stamped on barrels they had their barrels bored as I said and IIRC Wilson was making the barrels at the time and they were not the best to start with.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.