Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by haverluk
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
You just have to decide if rifle is worth another $375.

If not, then tell him you hope he enjoys the rifle, and walk away.

The rifle is worth me keeping. I am in fact in possession of it now. He does have other small projects that we negotiated a fixed rate on before I left the shop yesterday.

Now just wait a dam minute.

He charged $125/hr and took three hours to bed your rifle, poorly.
You feel ripped off, justifiably so.

He now has multiple projects you are going to have him do?

whistle

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I didn’t even know there was a gunsmith in No. VA. Who is this I should be avoiding?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think $125 an hour is unreasonable for a professional gunsmith shop. Now 3 hours to bed a stock, that is unreasonable.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Phucqk yeah.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

I was going to say something about Chad's process and thereby price. Sometimes, it just is what it is and there is a price to it. The finish lines on the bedding job by LRI is incredible. No, I haven't paid that for bedding, but I have seen them first hand in his shop...There is not a cleaner fit, that I have seen anyways.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
You just have to decide if rifle is worth another $375.

If not, then tell him you hope he enjoys the rifle, and walk away.

The rifle is worth me keeping. I am in fact in possession of it now. He does have other small projects that we negotiated a fixed rate on before I left the shop yesterday.

Now just wait a dam minute.

He charged $125/hr and took three hours to bed your rifle, poorly.
You feel ripped off, justifiably so.

He now has multiple projects you are going to have him do?

whistle

Yep, I am scratching my head as well.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I did not ask prior to what the labor rate was..

Whats the old saying?....if ya gotta Ask the price , you can't afford it... grin

...in all my time working with reputable smiths the rates has varied from $40-$75 per hour.

Ive never asked the hr/rate. It was always just how much the requested completed work will cost in the end.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i think the main problem was that you did not get an idea of his price or his work before you dropped it off. i agree that it was too high using my area for comparison though. but you can't blame the man for making a decent living. gunsmith training ain't cheap. you have to be a machinist, a woodworker and a mechanic all rolled into one to do it right and have the patience of a saint. a good buddy of mine went the whole route and couldn't make a living. he did it for 10 years or so and got a another job and he does it on the side for himself and good friends.

My diploma is a DD214
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No offence but wouldn't you get an estimate before he began. I understand small business and the costs.
I know if I billed 40.00 hour for my work I would go broke. A bedding job takes time, imo

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So......how does it shoot?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
So it is clear this is a new gunshop that also offers gunsmith services not a single smith shop.

I also had a recoil pad install, a barreled action that I wanted pulled apart and a M77 MKII Ruger that needed a Timney. After the issue we had with the bedding job, the smith wanted to keep me as a customer so we negotiated on the other three. We settled on $75 for the pad install, $75 for the trigger install and he would pull the barrel free. I was hesitant but knew that I could not get the jobs done for less by mailing them off to another guy. So we agreed. As he was taking them to the back he took the work order for the Ruger trigger and tore it up. He said, "This one is on me."

I went to pick up these projects and settle the bill yesterday. I met the other owner, He tried to size me up and we had a heated discussion about the rates and quality of smith work compared to the cost of local skilled labor. He ultimately told me that there would be no more freebees and suggested that I was demanding free work. They are working on a fixed price work list.. I don't think the smith told him that he had offered to do the other three projects for the price he did

He was quickly corrected, paid and I left the shop with four jobs complete for a total of $450.

So I paid $75 for a pad install, pulling a barrel and installing the trigger. Plus the $375 for the bedding. It was obvious the smith was trying to make it right and keep me as a patron. It was also obvious that the "other owner" that I met yesterday was the one pulling the strings.

I am happy with the quality of work for the other three projects.

I have not shot the 9.3 yet. I scoped it last night and will get it out soon...

Semper Fi

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Good update haverluk. Sounds like that gunsmith would be miles ahead to cut ties with the other guy ASAP. It also sounds like he needs to hone his bedding skills.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gunsmith and gas price threads. The best there is.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I just paid $10k yesterday to get two chimneys recapped.
4 guys with 3 trucks were here for 1.5 days.

You do the math.
when you say "recapped"

Are you talking fancy metal covering to keep rain oit of the flue

Or are you talking about reflashing?

Flashing on the bottom at the roof, concrete on top of the chimney.

Dang.

I used to regrind the mortar joints, run new gutter gauge alum step flashing, and drill/pin over that with counter flashing, rebuild the valley cricket and redo the steps and counters on the back of the chimney for about an extra $500-1000. And I thought I was making out good. Took me about a day to do one by myself.

As the concrete topper, used to do those for Century 21 and ERA realty and title companies when the house was being sold. 5 gal bucket, gloves, smoothing trowel, 40lbs of fast set with a cool whip bowl of portland mix in. About 2 hour job, $15 worth of materials. $150-200

Hell maybe I was a schmuck and couldve got more. Mexicans were cutting my throat on those kind of prices.

I thought making a $100 an hour...hmm I better go slow and drag this out so people dont think I'm ripping them off. Used to tell them I was going to get materials. I'd just go sit at burger king and sip coke or go bid some more jobs. lol

Wow, just wow. Anyway, resume thread.

You and Ren need to get that RV fired up and go on the road. You could do chimbleys and Ren could do gunwork, and the stories would merit a forum of their own, Start in Maine and end in San Diego. Sell the RV, TN for the off season, fly to Washington, buy a beater RV,patch it up and head for DeFlave in FL.

Damn reality TeeVee show in the making , right there.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Estimates up front, call if you hit some chit! so easy a caveman can do it!

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When is the Trump administration going to roll back the onerous burden of ITAR on gunsmiths?

Pretty much killed ITD and I'm sure a host of others.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sometimes, people (including me) have a hard time reading between the lines.

Any gun shop/Smith that charges $375 for a standard bedding job is really telling you;
“We don’t want your business”.

Advice: Pick up the rest of the work, pay the bill and never go back.
Re-course: none, pay the bill and walk away.
$125 an hour is reasonable for professional work, but assumes the skill and tools to do such a job in an hour, maybe 1 ½ tops.

MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's hard to do firearms work and getting harder by the day thanks to our government. If you are dealing with a larger shop you will be paying a little more than a one man shop because he has less overhead. Gunsmith work is largely thankless. Lots of ways to get ranted on by the customer than praised. People drag up with all kinds of odd stuff like a 1908 single shot 12 ga. grandad bought for $12 way back when and has been abused over the years. He wants you to make it into a masterpiece for $25 or less. If you want to get rich don't go into gunsmithing. A good custom Mauser 98 done by an artist in the trade will set you back more than a covey of factory guns and he still won't make what a GM factory union worker makes and he must provide his own benefits.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah they don't make money working on junkers. I charge $95 just to show up but a gunsmith has to do quite a bit for the same $95.

LOL
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1234, 68 invisible), 3,548 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,400
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.