-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad has had a couple Boykin’s and I’ve spent a lot of time with them and I’m not enamored by them. . I had a field bred English cocker and I don’t think I’d ever own anything else. We lost Tink a few weeks back, best little happy go lucky, floppy eared, people loving bird dog a guy could ask for.
This little girl will be heading our way shortly.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by RememberBaker; 03/09/19.

NRA Endowment Life Member
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ha!!!! Wishing the best for all of you. Lets see more of her in the future.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You've gotten great input from the other guys. I've owned a Boykin and now have a field bred English cocker. Both males and both from good bloodlines. I loved the Boykin and had a hard time getting over his loss. Actually got the FBEC because I could not find the right Boykin pup anywhere near me and this one is liver colored and looks/acts like the Boykin. Both are excellent upland hunters and retrievers. I hunt primarily pheasants.

Both are high energy dogs that crave attention and time outdoors to run daily. In fact my dogs are my exercise program! Beyond being great in the field, my two turned out to be great family dogs. They both love people and get along well with other dogs. Both of mine were neutered. When they get happy, their shorter height and long body stature gets them wiggling like crazy. Both of mine are on the larger size for breed and both loved to be on my lap a few times a day. My knees can attest to that. In fact I'm typing this one-handed on my iPad with Hershey asleep there now.

As others have said, buy from a reputable breeder with a known reputation for producing hunting dogs. You won't regret having either spaniel as a friend and hunting companion.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
More than a little English Cockers admiration here, I never would have guessed it to be the case. Nice to see, such a fine Dog becoming more popular.

The Brits call them "pocket rockets" and they are highly regarded over there for their ability, personality and the fact they are an easy Dog to live with.

Keith Erlandson (sp?) who was a famous Brit English Springer man once said of the FBEC: "When the devil comes to earth to do a little gunning, he brings with him two coal black English Cockers with burning embers for eyes." He also referred to them as: "A lovable street urchin who will pick your pocket while smiling into your eyes."

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by battue
More than a little English Cockers admiration here, I never would have guessed it to be the case. Nice to see, such a fine Dog becoming more popular.

The Brits call them "pocket rockets" and they are highly regarded over there for their ability, personality and the fact they are an easy Dog to live with.

Keith Erlandson (sp?) who was a famous Brit English Springer man once said of the FBEC: "When the devil comes to earth to do a little gunning, he brings with him two coal black English Cockers with burning embers for eyes." He also referred to them as: "A lovable street urchin who will pick your pocket while smiling into your eyes."

Sounds like Tobey

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MCH and Battue — I enjoy reading your discourses on dogs.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Sounds like Tobey

Toby was “The Highlander” of Dogs. “There can only be one.”

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

MCH and Battue — I enjoy reading your discourses on dogs.

I have been pretty fortunate to hunt over some amazing dogs. I knew Brian Hayes who inherited Elhew Kennels from Bob and got to shoot over a bunch of great EP's. I was also friends with a guy that trained and ran Field Trials for many years. Pat Labree taught me a bunch and helped me with my dogs. I have been very lucky to have friends that are very into dogs and Upland Bird and Waterfowl hunting. I learned what I know about water dogs from a man I have a lot of respect for. I went to his train the trainer classes and learned a lot from Buck Shope. So I have seen what great dogs look like compared to good dogs.

Battue won't admit it but his dogs are better than average for sure! That old bastard hunts a LOT!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Sounds like Tobey

Toby was “The Highlander” of Dogs. “There can only be one.”

How old is Merlot? We'll see my friend we'll see!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
4 maybe 5. Neither one of us is much for numbers. 😃

Last edited by battue; 03/10/19.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dam I didn't think Merlot was that old. Time flies, I thought Tobey was younger than My Lulu.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by RememberBaker
My dad has had a couple Boykin’s and I’ve spent a lot of time with them and I’m not enamored by them. . I had a field bred English cocker and I don’t think I’d ever own anything else. We lost Tink a few weeks back, best little happy go lucky, floppy eared, people loving bird dog a guy could ask for.
[Linked Image]

That is one precious pup!!! All this Spaniel talk is killing me. I sure miss my Boykin. frown I had a Golden Retriever that was a great dog too. Most of my dogs come in the form of strays that I come across. I just can’t drive past them. You just don’t find many English Cockers or Boykins that are abandoned these days. smile

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My Boykin will turn 2 this month. Last summer we got another dog from the local shelter and they had no problems, other than he doesn’t like to share toys. Very high energy, often times I’ll take him for a romp in the woods (3-5miles) and when we get home he’s ready for more. He naturally had a lot of prey drive which made up for my lack of training ability (this is my first bird dog). His feelings could get hurt if you’re rough on corrections, but he was very willing to learn. Very sweet with people.

Even on very cold days he’ll go after a water retrieve but as soon as he gets wet it’s pretty much over, if it’s below freezing I keep a towel nearby to try to keep him warm, but I don’t usually stay more than 20-30min once he’s wet if it’s cold. If we’re being honest, I detest the cold too, so once we get a duck or 2 down I use him as my excuse to dip out early a lot of days unless the blind has a heater. He does love the water though. If we go hunting for quail, I can’t get him much more than 10 feet infront of me, but that doesn’t bother me. He’ll flush if he catches the scent but I’ve never really trained him for upland work. Also will retrieve fur if we happen across some squirrels while we’re out.

All around, great dog if you have the time to burn their energy. If they’re going to be in the house without much excersize... God help you.

Last edited by JJWise; 04/01/19.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There is no other dog for me! Love my little brown dog!

Mule Deer, "Yeah, real men don't flinch, especially gun writers!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RememberBaker
[Linked Image]

I think I'm in love............

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

287 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.