Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I'd heard some of this growing up, but didn't know the full story. This is a letter from my uncle, Army Col. and surgeon in WWII.

I don't really know too many folks who would appreciate this sort of thing except folks here on the 'fire. I'll prolly remove these on Monday.

All Best.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/huskyrunnr/ecl1.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/huskyrunnr/ecl2.jpg

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow, now those are some neat memento's. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tremendous documents...true historical treasures cool cool cool

Thanks for sharing them,

HBB

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Very interesting. Thanks for putting them up.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Wow, pelaese don't take them down. Patton is in my opinion our greatest fighting general ever. This give me goose bumps.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks...

As a real history (wwII in particular) nut, I appreciate your post.

Sir, permission to paste to desktop, sir...

bearhuntr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
WOW ! ! !

Thank you for posting those documents.

I realize Genernal George S. Patton, Jr. was, in his own words, "a real "S.O.B.", but he was the Allied General officer the Nazi High Command feared most due to his methods in commanding an army and his relentless aggression in battle.

He was a glorious American...

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What a piece of History.... It needs to be protected as the value of those notes are invaluable, there is no way a value can be placed on them as they are real treasures as they are notes from the physician that treated Patton in his last hours, therefore they are of great historical value. They would rate right up there with the physicians notes dealing with the Kennedy Assassination.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Holy cow, that it a real find. fantastic piece of history Sir.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for posting this. My dad served under General Patton-hated him intensely, but admired him very much just the same. I think that was a common sentiment of the men under General Patton. Dad was always very proud of the fact that Patton fought a very aggressive, offensive style of combat. Dad also admitted at times that this created issues when the front line troops got too far out in front of the supporting units and rear eschelon troops. He said he spent many nights with meager rations, low on ammunition because they were waiting on supplies to reach them in their run across Europe. I know Patton had his detractors, and enemies both abroad, and here at home, but to me he will go down as one of the greatest commanders of all time.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for posting that. I hope you leave it up for a good while so the members have a good chance of seeing it. I'd also like to hear any other recollections you have -- it's a real treasure.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. -- Daniel Webster
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Mom's younger brother was a tank platoon commander with Patton, and my Wife's Dad was with Patton in North Africa and Sicily, and then in Europe later.
I have saved this for my wife to read.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool momentos.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Fascinating! Always wonderful to get a glimpse into the reality of history.

At some point, have you thought about maybe donating them to the Smithsonian?

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Donate hell, if ya got Kids, you could probably pay thier college tuition with those. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I appreciate the enthusiastic responses and other historical info on Patton. I knew I posted these to the right place.

41Keith, what I heard growing up was only that my uncle was Patton's and Eisenhower's physician. I had no idea of what exactly that meant.

Penny, these are photocopies that my uncle sent to my cousin in March 1969 so they're not exactly Smithsonian material. I have no idea where the originals are now. Perhaps with my uncle's immediate family or already donated somewhere.

The cover letter to my cousin states, among other family business- the following relevant paragraph:

"Am spending some time these days with old records- with much to throw away. It is amazing how much one can forget in 23 years. Am enclosing copies for you of my note- and Original 55A- of Gen. Geo. S. Patton Jr.- and his untimely death. Place this among your secret archives, and you can always state that you have the facts if the matter is discussed. I am also assembling notes on others- from Potsdam- Rheims Peace Conf. etc. These include observations on Churchill, ???, ???, Zukov and De Gaulle. The favorite however was Montgomery- or perhaps Stalin."

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Did your uncle have in his possession a carved walnut cane - a caduseus actually, with only one snake? My brother carved one for a retired army doctor who claimed to be Gen. Patton's physician. This was probably in 1977. I wonder if it was your uncle?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Copies or not they are still very interesting historical documents and important family records.

Patton's driver at the time of the wreck, Horace Woodring, is buried not far from where I live. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=8081821

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.