Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Then there is this gem.

This was a rather bossy U.S. Army Major who we were tasked with protecting. Long story short she thought she was pretty hot stuff and fully equal of any of the people who were on her protection detail. We ended up in a remote province at a place where the locals were only being friendly to our faces and there was no doubt they were insurgents once they were out of our sight.

This hot shot Major, who insisted that she was just as capable somehow managed to get roughly 80-100 miles from the main U.S. base without a magazine in her sidearm (her only weapon) and no spare mags. Basically she was totally incompetent.

Funny thing is, none of us had any spare mags for her, as we don't carry Berettas.

[Linked Image]

Another Big Army Classic!

First I was discreetly trying to get these soldiers attention. We had been loaned out to provide protection/overwatch (I won't go into detail why the conventional Army and others need to be protected...)

Anyways, I was trying to tell the blonde SGT shown in the center of the pic that they cannot just leave their weapons unattended in their vehicles, since were were in a small town in a province in a Iraq and they were just asking for the iraqi police to steal their weapons or have them used against them. It was not a matter of IF, it was only a matter of WHEN some Iraqi grabbed one.

I was trying to be discreet, so as not to embarrass her. She thought I was motioning for her, because I wanted to hit on her.. crazy

The other thing I wanted to tell her was that as an NCO she was not exactly setting a great example since her 82nd Airborne patch was on UPSIDE DOWN.... whistle

[Linked Image]

I think I will pass on getting my weapons training from the conventional Military...

Amen...

Great pictures..

The AMU would be my only exception. Seen some good, basic dudes help out a bunch from those fellas.

Semper Fi
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Mackey,
My ex brother in law was a pencil punching Army Reserve Lt. Colonel, commanding a processing base in the mid-east,
no Iraq or Afghanistan.
He bragged about making a big group of Marines eat outside the mess hall, sitting in the sand.
They refused to leave their rifles outside, and he refused to let them eat inside.

I later told my wife, he thinks he won.
He didn't.
Those guys still kept their weapons, and they ate. And he just reinforced the differences between men returning from the fight,
and management types who are just scared of a gun.

DB,

This sounds pretty typical. I am very glad to hear the Marines did what they did.

Due to the nature of our assignments, we were exempt from such jackassery but the problem was that when we were eating at regular U.S. DEFACs, the guards did not know this and would insist that we unload our weapons. Usually we just had our G19s with us anyways. I told my guys rather than get into a contest of egos, either unload and play their game, or wear your gun concealed, and hide your ID, and just show your regular ID, aka blend in. It was easier than butting heads with retards on power trips. Besides the odds of getting into a gunfight in the chowhall were about zip.

The more I dealt with the conventional military, the more I felt bad for the guys still in. The crap like your ex bro-in-law pulled is sadly pretty typical and indicative of a changing of the culture from warriors to career minded self absorbed twats who hate guys who actually do bad things to bad people for a living.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Then there is this gem.

This was a rather bossy U.S. Army Major who we were tasked with protecting. Long story short she thought she was pretty hot stuff and fully equal of any of the people who were on her protection detail. We ended up in a remote province at a place where the locals were only being friendly to our faces and there was no doubt they were insurgents once they were out of our sight.

This hot shot Major, who insisted that she was just as capable somehow managed to get roughly 80-100 miles from the main U.S. base without a magazine in her sidearm (her only weapon) and no spare mags. Basically she was totally incompetent.

Funny thing is, none of us had any spare mags for her, as we don't carry Berettas.

[Linked Image]

First I was discreetly trying to get these soldiers attention. We had been loaned out to provide protection/overwatch (I won't go into detail why the conventional Army and others need to be protected...)

Anyways, I was trying to tell the blonde SGT shown in the center of the pic that they cannot just leave their weapons unattended in their vehicles, since were were in a small town in a province in a Iraq and they were just asking for the iraqi police to steal their weapons or have them used against them. It was not a matter of IF, it was only a matter of WHEN some Iraqi grabbed one.

I was trying to be discreet, so as not to embarrass her. She thought I was motioning for her, because I wanted to hit on her.. crazy

The other thing I wanted to tell her was that as an NCO she was not exactly setting a great example since her 82nd Airborne patch was on UPSIDE DOWN.... whistle

[Linked Image]

I think I will pass on getting my weapons training from the conventional Military...

LOL. grin

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
[

Amen...

Great pictures..

The AMU would be my only exception. Seen some good, basic dudes help out a bunch from those fellas.

The AMU is outstanding!

They are not at all indicative of the military across the board. One of the guys I worked with overseas came from AMU, Cris Murray. He and MSG Holland developed the 6.8 SPC. Cris was a wealth of info and a great mentor on all things related to running the various embassy armories we were tasked with running.

They also for a long time have had a hand in USPSA and have had some rock stars come out of there like Julie Golob, who now shoots for S&W.

The AMU and USPSA style skills/weapons manipulations is what they should be teaching from day one.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Mackey,
My ex brother in law was a pencil punching Army Reserve Lt. Colonel, commanding a processing base in the mid-east,
no Iraq or Afghanistan.
He bragged about making a big group of Marines eat outside the mess hall, sitting in the sand.
They refused to leave their rifles outside, and he refused to let them eat inside.

I later told my wife, he thinks he won.
He didn't.
Those guys still kept their weapons, and they ate. And he just reinforced the differences between men returning from the fight,
and management types who are just scared of a gun.

DB,

This sounds pretty typical. I am very glad to hear the Marines did what they did.

Due to the nature of our assignments, we were exempt from such jackassery but the problem was that when we were eating at regular U.S. DEFACs, the guards did not know this and would insist that we unload our weapons. Usually we just had our G19s with us anyways. I told my guys rather than get into a contest of egos, either unload and play their game, or wear your gun concealed, and hide your ID, and just show your regular ID, aka blend in. It was easier than butting heads with retards on power trips. Besides the odds of getting into a gunfight in the chowhall were about zip.

The more I dealt with the conventional military, the more I felt bad for the guys still in. The crap like your ex bro-in-law pulled is sadly pretty typical and indicative of a changing of the culture from warriors to career minded self absorbed twats who hate guys who actually do bad things to bad people for a living.

Or the DB SgtMaj or 1stSgts that never left the FOB and had perfect cammies requiring the troopers to wash up and roll their sleeves before getting midrats AFTER coming back from a mission. I loved pissing in those Cheerios when I saw them trying to bully younger enlisted dudes. That is the part of the Corps I don’t miss but it does make funny stories when we’re all sitting around talking about the old days.

Semper Fi
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't know anyone under rthe age of 60 who readily admits to carrying a 1911

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
[

Amen...

Great pictures..

The AMU is outstanding!

They are not at all indicative of the military across the board. One of the guys I worked with overseas came from AMU, Cris Murray. He and MSG Holland developed the 6.8 SPC. Cris was a wealth of info and a great mentor on all things related to running the various embassy armories we were tasked with running.

They also for a long time have had a hand in USPSA and have had some rock stars come out of there like Julie Golob, who now shoots for S&W.

The AMU and USPSA style skills/weapons manipulations is what they should be teaching from day one.

Can’t say anymore than that...

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Yes, you do, and I do smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Exchipy

Please feel free to repost this message wherever you can. It must be repeated again and again, until it reaches every 1911 pistol user.

It reached every 1911 user about 30 years ago. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Please feel free to repost this message wherever you can. It must be repeated again and again, until it reaches every 1911 pistol user.

... except maybe for those rocket surgeons who, in more recent years, have shot themselves through ignorance, and the others who I fear are yet to follow them.

Every day’s an adventure.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes, you do, and I do smile

This.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

LOL. Yep. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

... except maybe for those rocket surgeons who, in more recent years, have shot themselves through ignorance, and the others who I fear are yet to follow them.

So how many people are you saying shot themselves in the last 12 months because they carried a 1911 in Condition 2?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's got to be some reserve unit attached to the 82nd or something!!! The fat chick in the lipstick plus the upside down patch...Oy!

Medical or Civil Affairs would be my guess.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh yeah 1911's are great range guns!!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My 21year old grandson just started carrying a new Kimber .45. Been shooting my 1911's for a dozen years now and getting can good with it too. Claims 9's and plastic guns are for puzziez.

Last edited by Remington6MM; 04/07/19.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M

I was carrying one a week ago last Saturday (annual JMB 1911 shoot/social gathering at an industry friends place), when I popped this cow elk that had been hit by a truck in front of me in the pre-dawn hours:

[Linked Image]

One old school Hydrashok duty load from waaay back when and her suffering was quickly over.

I also managed to go the whole time without telling any of the guys at the social gathering (many of whom are actual subject matter experts...) how to carry their 1911s.

We also shot the new 2019 FBI qual course.

Reduced time frames, that was brought to us courtesy of one of their head firearms guys.

Pretty good representation of talent and backgrounds really. Was a fun time.

Fiddle fingered a couple of new Wilson Combat 1911s that a friend just received. Very nice guns.

Out of this cowboys price range though.

Fun time.

While I may carry a Glock at work most the time, I still stick a 1911 in my belt every now and then..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Loaded Chamber? COCKED-AND-LOCKED ONLY!

If a 1911 pistol is to be carried with a loaded chamber, LET'S BE VERY CLEAR ABOUT THIS:

Condition One (loaded chamber, hammer cocked, thumb safety engaged = "Cocked-and-Locked") is the ONLY way authorized by the US Army Training Manual to carry a 1911 pistol with a LOADED CHAMBER, to be ready for immediate combat. You'll also see this carry method recommended in owners manuals provided by 1911 pistol manufacturers.

Condition Three (loaded magazine, empty chamber, hammer fully forward) is certainly the safest carry method, and is the standard way authorized by the US Army Training Manual to carry a 1911 pistol, when immediate combat is not anticipated. But, it takes more to ready the pistol for firing

HOWEVER, Condition Two (loaded chamber, hammer fully forward) is actually DANGEROUS. Should the hammer get snagged on something, drawn back to just short of the half-cock notch, then released, testing has shown that it can fire the cartridge at least three times out of five. Both the thumb safety and grip safety have been rendered useless when the pistol is in Condition Two.

An UNSAFE variation of Condition Two involves using the hammer's half-cock notch (sometimes misleadingly called a "safety notch") instead of lowering the hammer fully forward. Again, the thumb safety and grip safety are rendered useless. The DANGER comes from what is known as a FALSE HALF-COCK, which is created when both the hammer and trigger are clumsily manipulated simultaneously while attempting to lower the hammer into the half-cock notch, such that the tip of the half-cock notch gets precariously balanced on the tip of the sear. Then, a slight jarring of the pistol can cause the hammer to fall the rest of the way and fire the cartridge. This is not theoretical; it has happened.

Well, dang. First I heard of that.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Then there is this gem.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

lmao

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RufusG

So how many people are you saying shot themselves in the last 12 months because they carried a 1911 in Condition 2?

Limited to the last 12 months, I know of one. Going back five years, I can recall at least three others. I know of other Condition Two UDs, but fortunately without injury. In one, it killed the guy's dog which had jumped into the seat with him. There are undoubtedly more, about which I have not yet heard.

Please take this seriously, and spread the word to those who need to hear it.

Every day’s an adventure.
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,622
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.