Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

So we have the Gospel according to you and the "ONLY way authorized by the US Army Training Manual to carry a 1911 pistol"...

What about all the people who don't really care about what the conventional military does?

Well,

You might loose your Mall Ninja card......

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Interesting. I've owned/carried 1911s for 44 years, including better than 15 years of duty carry and have known a lot of 1911/Colt Delta packers in that time. I investigated a good number of actual and falsely reported 'accidental' shootings involving a host of firearms- but not one of them a 1911.

Typically, someone had recently purchased a new gun and were fondling and or dryfiring it when the discharge occurred. They usually eventually admitted they had reloaded the gun, forgot they had reloaded it and thought they were dryfiring an empty gun. My last (pre-retirement) LE position was at a 'base town' and unfortunately, the vast majority of ND's involved service members living off base in apartment complexes. This reinforced my belief in God and guardian angels because frequently, adjoining occupied apartments were perforated and the only injury was from bullet-shattered glass.

Firearms involved were primarily striker fired pistols and I noted the incidence of these 'thought it was unloaded' ND's increased after their introduction. But people can and do ND with single and double action revolvers, all manner of sporting shotguns and even the old Mosin-Nagant. The Mosin bellers loud enough to wake up neighbors and fortunately, that one went up through a porch roof.

I'm not calling you a liar Chippy but my opinion is that your experience vastly over-represents Condition Two NDs with the 1911, which resulted in injuries to a specific area of the body.

Your nicer than me.
I don't believe Chippy for one second.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Dude,

That would really suck!

Back to our previously scheduled program of being preached to by yet another self appointed subject matter expert....

Is there another sport that attracts so many folks who feel the need to lecture/tell others "how it is" or "The one true way, etc, etc,?

BTW, if you don't carry your uber new plastic blaster in an appendix holster, while wearing tactical pants in "urban gray man, grey, (the holster and the pants MUST be endorsed by a coast guard celebrity trainer, who also markets sunglasses) then surely you will DIE in da Streetz!

It's the one true way!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i just watched last night a bunch of army types on a firing line being introduced to the sig M 17. I was kind of snickering at the shooting stance of most of them, and the way they were holding the pistola and fingering the trigger.
Just cause someone is in the service or has been in the service does not mean they are much capable with a handgun or rifle.
On of my relatives who is in a midlevel officers position when going through the officers version of bootcamp, i think fired one magazine out of a beretta.
Same with another one in another branch, he got something like five rounds from a shotgun.
pretty sad really.

It's a little different in this state. Our academe students fire closer to a thousand rounds.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Exchipy
My mistake. Other sites have been more receptive to this message and to the spirit in which it was offered.
Sorry to have troubled you.

That's because we ain't noobs, and we're quick to call bull sh#t.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Years ago I came across a story of a Swedish SOE operative working in Scandinavia during WWII.

Carried a concealed 1911 - occasionally used by SOE in Scandinavia - with one in the chamber and the hammer at full cock with the thumb safety off. He relied solely on the grip safety.

Worked for him. He survived the war.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Is there another sport that attracts so many folks who feel the need to lecture/tell others "how it is" or "The one true way, etc, etc,?

Auto mechanics.

There’s a endless stream of knuckleheads who know a guy who knows a guy who fixes cars and he says......

Anyway. I pay pretty good attention to what you say, and Formy and Montana Marine, and John Burns and Stick and a few others and it seems to keep me in the right path.

On the other hand, my cousin’s uncle’s brother was an airborne Navy Ranger Pathfinder from SEAL Team 6, and he says....

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What strikes me in this thread is those pictures and the thought that the people in them in the event of war would be defending America,...Damn!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What if I don't want to do things that way?
smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
Originally Posted by dla

HOWEVER, Condition Two (loaded chamber, hammer fully forward) is actually DANGEROUS. Should the hammer get snagged on something, drawn back to just short of the half-cock notch, then released, testing has shown that it can fire the cartridge at least three times out of five. Both the thumb safety and grip safety have been rendered useless when the pistol is in Condition Two.

Since I can't see the pin with the 1911 action closed and the hammer down, is the pin resting on the primer? What will happen if the gun drops and hits the hammer?

In a properly made and assembled 1911, the firing pin is shorter than the tunnel in which it fits and is held to the rear by its spring. So, when the hammer is at rest against the firing pin, the pin is not long enough to reach the primer. The firing pin is designed and intended to reach the primer only when struck by a hammer blow with enough force to overcome the firing pin's inertia and the strength of the firing pin spring.

Makes sense. Thank you.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I don't know anyone under rthe age of 60 who readily admits to carrying a 1911

Now you do

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I carried a 1911 35 years before I was 60 and still carry them today . Does that count?

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I carried a 1911 35 years before I was 60 and still carry them today . Does that count?

Yes

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I don't know anyone under rthe age of 60 who readily admits to carrying a 1911

So what.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Yes

Carried my little 1911 Commander 45 ACP to town yesterday stoked with 200gr XTP's, Glock 21 stoked with fourteen 200gr Lehigh penetrators got nighttime duty, and is sitting here as I type this.

Trump Won!
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

To all of you who have participated in this thread, particularly the skeptics and naysayers:

Please understand that I am at a distinct disadvantage when discussing the particulars raised in this thread, because I am not at liberty to say in print how it is I have come to know all that I have said here, or to provide further details.

However, if you should find yourself at the NRA Meeting and Exhibits in Indianapolis, and are willing to share an adult beverage or two with me, I will tell you the "rest of the story." You may find it worthwhile.

Anyone interested?

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am not at liberty to say in print how it is I have come to know all that I have said here, or to provide further details.

If you told, you'd have to kill us?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No one willingly goes to Indiana.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
No one willingly goes to Indiana.

...or says "I'm not at liberty to say..."

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I want to be the first to guess "Raisuli". Not real confident at this stage but starting to get a whiff so it's worth a flyer.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 72 invisible), 3,549 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.