Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Talk about a wacky design.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonder why the tail wheels were still down? Seems there's a post flight gripe to work off assuming they should go up with the mains. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Scott, not so whacky actually. First 3 NORK aircraft shot down by US in the Korean War were perforated by the F82. The aircraft had very long range, a heavy armaments and very high speed capability. Timing of production was the thing that killed it, not capability.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Scott, thanks for sharing. I had thought the F-82 was extinct.

She does kind of look whacky, but what could be better than having a Merlin engine under your butt? Two Merlin engines!

The 82 was designed to have the range to fly missions alongside the B-29. It would have been a very critical tool in the invasion of Japan. And is also known to have flown missions out of Japan into Korea, during that conflict.

The story of the XP-82's initial test flight, when the plane refused to leave the ground is interesting. As is a record breaking endurance flight in 1947 from Hawaii to New York of over 5000 miles without refueling or landing..

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Simply beautiful. Bet you can't pop down to the local Merlin store and find left-turning Merlins every day.
What a pity that the right cockpit was empty.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Only the first ones had Merlins, the latter bunch had Allisons. It danged near got cancelled because Allison couldn't get it's act together. When they finally got their act together for the F82, the USAF was already flying some jets, so it didn't last long in inventory. They were pretty interesting aircraft. "Betty Jo" is at the USAF Museum, it's an 82B, which DID have the Merlin engines, and it was the one that flew from Hickam Field to NYC nonstop.

The Air Force had it's problems with Allisons, they were great below 15000 ft. and dodgy higher than that, without turbochargers like they used on P-38s, and there was no room for turbochargers on single-engine aircraft, it took Allison a long time (until after the war was over) until they got it pretty well fixed and ready to fly.

The Air Force didn't want new aircraft with Merlins, because Packard had gone back to the car business postwar, and the USG did NOT want to pay royalties to Rolls-Royce for new Merlins, that was a "no-no". The USAF wanted American engines in their planes.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Pretty cool. Thanks for posting.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
. "Betty Jo" is at the USAF Museum, it's an 82B, which DID have the Merlin engines, and it was the one that flew from Hickam Field to NYC nonstop.

Met the pilot, Col Bob Thacker, at a R/C model sailplane meet in Illinois that my Dad I were flying in when I was a kid. I was maybe 10-12 years old and leaning up against his Mustang (car). "Get off my car kid". grin I had no idea who he was until my Dad told me.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Fugawe
Simply beautiful. Bet you can't pop down to the local Merlin store and find left-turning Merlins every day.

I noticed the counter rotating props too. The P-38 had them long before the P-82.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

I noticed the counter rotating props too. The P-38 had them long before the P-82.

But the P-38 props turned inboard and the P-82s turned outboard. Apparently the airflow from inboard turning props created some weird and undesired aerodynamics between the two fuselages.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The first P-82 couldn’t even get into the air because of the way the props spun. They had to switch the engines and then it flew fine.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

From what I've read, it's a pretty simple gear reduction application that makes for the props and which direction they spin in. The Allison was designed from the git-go to have them added, the Merlins were not, so there was some serious engineering going on to get that done.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I understand that the inward turning props on a P-38 allow for maneuvering on one engine because it lessens the torque/yaw/p-factor effect.
I remember seeing Lefty Gardner kill one engine and roll the plane into the dead motor demonstrating that there is no 'critical' engine on a P-38.
The P(F)-82's outward turning props should make both engine 'critical'. It apparently uses its own set of aerodynamic rules due to the twin fuselages.
On the engines that turn in the opposite direction as the prop, I wonder how much the two forces negate each other.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That's pretty cool. Flying something like that would be rather nerve wracking. Can't say I'm a fan of the looks of the -82. Looks like a Siamese twin. The P-38 on the other hand looks amazing to me!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs
. "Betty Jo" is at the USAF Museum, it's an 82B, which DID have the Merlin engines, and it was the one that flew from Hickam Field to NYC nonstop.

Met the pilot, Col Bob Thacker, at a R/C model sailplane meet in Illinois that my Dad I were flying in when I was a kid. I was maybe 10-12 years old and leaning up against his Mustang (car). "Get off my car kid". grin I had no idea who he was until my Dad told me.

That's quite a story!
cool

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A now deceased friend flew these in the Korean war.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Coincidence - I met him at an RC meet at Kenneth Copeland's airport near Eagle Mountain Lake (N of Ft. Worth) back around 1988, I've got his autograph by a picture of Betty Jo that was in a warbird magazine.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]

Here I am in 1982 flying my Goldwing ultralight at Sun n Fun. I had just built it.
We had a great time down there at the Sun n Fun!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

But the P-38 props turned inboard and the P-82s turned outboard. Apparently the airflow from inboard turning props created some weird and undesired aerodynamics between the two fuselages.

IIRC, counter rotating props turning inboard increases roll rate or gives the same roll rate turning either direction and props turning outboard eliminates a critical engine.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The April issue of Air Classics has a write-up on this bird if anybody ever sees it at a local newsstand.

https://xp-82twinmustangproject.blogspot.com/2019/01/28-january-2019.html

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 48 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.