Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’m thinking about buying a progressive for loading handgun ammo, primarily 38sp but probably 45acp and 9mm too. I don’t shoot jacketed bullets, not sure if that matters. Mostly use Unique but could be persuaded to switch to ball powders if necessary. I know next to nothing about progressives. Don’t want to spend tons of $$ if I don’t have to.

Recommendations?

I'm partial to the Dillon SDB, mainly because I use one to load 9mm, 45acp & 44mag. But given the cost and speed, I'd recommend a Dillon 650xl. I don't recommend a 550 because it is not auto indexing, and brain farts cause double charges.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using the same Dillon 550B for about 30 years and think it is a great press. But, I have to agree with deflave that loading 4 calibers, including different primer sizes, is going to result in multiple shell plate changes and at least 1 primer tube change (for .44 and large primer .45 cases) that is going to eat into the time savings unless you crank out higher volumes of each caliber. At some point I am going to get another one and keep one set up one for large and one for small primers.

The initial cost of the tool heads and shell plates are going to run up the initial cash outlay. Also pay attention to the pieces/parts of the shell plates and pins. Some work across different calibers if you just swap out the powder funnel and, sometimes, locator pins. A .45 ACP shell plate and pins also work with .308 and .30-06 class guns with just a powder funnel change. A .223 shell plate and pins work for .380 (edited to add: use the powder funnel for 9mm). They don't tell you that stuff, so you can wind up buying duplicates of the same stuff if you don't look at the individual parts list before ordering.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 04/04/19.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I get this rig set up I’m going to have to buy a bigger lead pot and bigger than 2 cavity molds. I’ll probably need to start powder coating to save time too. I can see this costing upwards of a grand in no time. smile

About a year and I/2 back I found a 5 cavity gang mold at the local gun show made Arsenal Molds used a Lee gang mold handle. Man alive that thing will turn out mega bullets in a hurry. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I have the XL 650 but if I just wanted to reload 38 Spl, 45 ACP & 9 mm, I'd get the SDB.

T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think initially I’ll probably just get setup to load 38s. I have more revolvers chambered for it and shoot it the most anyway. All the tool heads and stuff will add up pretty quick. I have two single stage presses, need to get jr trained up and running one!

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I generally load a couple hundred each 38, 44, 45, and 32mag on Saturday and burn them up on Sunday. Tired of sitting at the Rockchucker for half a day at a time

I feel your pain Thekid, I still load them one at a time too.

Trump Won!
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
One of the Dillons. Look at their website and you can probably figure which will best serve your current and future needs.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tag / bump

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Haven't used any brand of progressive but Dillon. I used to shoot enough that I had a pair of 550's, one set up for small primer and one large, mainly because it's a PITA to change over the primer feed and get it running smoothly again. 300 rounds per hour is an easy relaxed pace on the 550, and the Dillon powder bar gets along with Unique pretty okay, though Universal meters better.

Cheyenne (and, as much as I hate to admit, 'Flave too) makes great points about caliber changes, it's not a drill I'd want to do for 4 different cartridges every Saturday. My large primer setup turned out 45 ACP on a continuous basis, with the small primer job filling an ammo can with 38 Special a few times a year. If you've got enough brass I'd go the ammo can route and stagger the caliber changes by week or month as needed.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
My XL650 has made 9mm and 40 so much more enjoyable to load.......$$ well spent!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Reading your OP again I think I'd get a square deal for the .38 and .45 and buy all my 9mm.

This or a 650 and source all small primer .45 brass to avoid swapping primer sizes. Or two 650's, one j. Small and one in large primer.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Get a Dillon 550 and don't look back.

For whatever reason, the shooting sports and reloading tends to attract cheapskates who will try to squeeze a two nickles and a penny out of every dime if they think they can get away with it. The smart play in the long run is to just get a Dillon 550, and not end up upgrading later.

I am a very long ways from wealthy. In fact with 3 kids (one who rodeos) a dog and a wife, I don't have a dollar to spare at the end of the month, but I learned early that reloading on Dillons was the only way to go if I wanted to shoot much at all.

Turret presses for precise rifle loading, and Dillons for volume pistol stuff and .223.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Dillon 550 and have plenty of brass on hand.

Load the high volume cartridges by the ammo can or two and you will be making full use of the press and you rtime.

This.

You really do have to rethink how you load to get the most out of one of a progressive loader. Use any other type of press for working up loads, but once you find a keeper, get 5-10k pieces of brass and load all of them before you swap to another caliber and do the same. Otherwise, you'll spend more time converting/adjusting the press than you do loading.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kid, gonna go out on a limb and guess that you're using an RCBS Rockerchucker ATM.

I have and use an old RCBS Case Kicker that I bought decades ago. Unfortunately no longer made by them.Quite literally load as fast as you can pull the handle.Not too hard to cobble up a reasonable facsimile if you want.Love my Dillon Square Deal BTW just putting up an alternative that's inexpensive.

Or buy the current aftermarket version .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Had one. Didn't care for the non indexing.

YMMV. smile

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about the Square Deal if it's for handgun ammo?

Dave

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

YMMV. smile

The non indexing of the 550 is blown up on the internet to be a way bigger deal than it really is. It just doesn't make that much difference, except the non-indexing 550 is easier to deal with when something goes wrong.

Some of the guys in this thread are making a way bigger deal about caliber changes than it needs to be as well. It takes about 2 minutes to swap calibers if you have them already set up in toolheads; it's really no big deal. Swapping primer size is also pretty easy, and getting it lined up again is automatic if you think about what you're doing.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

YMMV. smile

The non indexing of the 550 is blown up

Interesting choice of words. The 550 is THE best 38spl revolver destroyer ever devised. And busted plenty of pretty 1911 grip panels, and sent many a Glock to the garbage bin.

I'm a big believer in auto indexing because machines don't have senior moments.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Certain people should just stay away from reloading.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Yondering
Certain people should just stay away from reloading.

This is absolutely true.

To the OP, Dillon 550.

Two if you can afford them.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (22kHornet, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,287
Posts18,467,895
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.