Print Thread
Hop To
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O

I have some questions for Browning experts or collectors: Take a look at the picture below. I saw this gun at a local store today and at first I din't think it was a fine gun. But after a closer inspection it seemed a genuine Browning Superposed. The wood was nice and showed no sign of field use at all. The receiver finish is shiny (what is it called, mirror finish?) with faded traces of gold plating. It seems that it has been once fully gold plated but most of the gold color is now faded. The seller has identified it as a Broadway Model but searching on the internet I didn't see any pictures of a Browning superposed with this type of finish (?)

The barrels are properly marked with Browning markings and it says made in Belgium. Is this a genuine gun? some special edition perhaps?

[Linked Image]

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not an authority on Brownings but looks like a Midas grade or more likely a special addition, a Grade VI or above. More photos would be helpful. I have a Grade VI that looks like a Dianna Grade but with coin finish and gold plating on the engraving. Mine was a salt wood refurbished in Belgium. There is some staining on the fore end so I would check it carefully for any salt damage.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tejano
Not an authority on Brownings but looks like a Midas grade or more likely a special addition, a Grade VI or above. More photos would be helpful. I have a Grade VI that looks like a Dianna Grade but with coin finish and gold plating on the engraving. Mine was a salt wood refurbished in Belgium. There is some staining on the fore end so I would check it carefully for any salt damage.

Staining on the butt, too.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Broadway designation has to do with the rib. Which was wider than normal and usually used on trap shotguns. From here that looks like engraving done by someone other than Browning, in that it doesn't seem to measure up to their standard. Nor have I ever seen that pattern on any Browning. A call or letter to Browning should answer any questions.

Last edited by battue; 04/09/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not even close to a Browning Midas grade....

[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Example of Browning coin finish engraving. It is a Browning, but I'd bet more than a little that Browning didn't engrave that shotgun....

https://stevebarnettfineguns.com/browning-1-shotguns-for-sale/pointer-superlight-410-bore

Also the gold on the higher grades was not gold plated. You got a real chunk of gold carved and insetted into the receiver or real gold lines undercutted into the metal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang, for that price, can I have 2?
smile
they are too pretty for me, but I like knowing there are guns like that around.

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thank you all for your contributions. The issue regarding salt-curing of walnut is interesting and I didn't know about it. I did not see any sign of pitting or rust when I opened the forend and inspected the proof marks. I agree with the comments that say it is not a high-grade (e.g. Midas) factory engraving: the patterns are not common and it shows "gold plating" rather than gold inlay. The gun is very clean though, like a gun that has been in the safe for many years and not used. The price is also very reasonable ($800) so I am thinking it could make a nice field gun with some odd-looking engraving which are likely not original but are otherwise nicely done...

laugh

Last edited by Omid; 04/09/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It has rust, the wood looks to be oil soaked and cracked on the left forearm side, or that stain came from a lot of hands on and not from being in the safe along with the engraving being crap. Broadway rib and it may be a trap gun that was used more than a little. Better Browning deals out there to be had for a little more.

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by battue
It has rust, the wood looks to be oil soaked and cracked on the left forearm side, or that stain came from a lot of hands on and not from being in the safe along with the engraving being crap. Broadway rib and it may be a trap gun that was used more than a little. Better Browning deals out there to be had for a little more.

Good eyes! I will probably go there again tomorrow, so I'll look at this gun more carefully this time. In any case, I don't think I will buy it wink

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by battue

+1

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 59 invisible), 3,344 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.