Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agree completely Dube. In addition farmers get to hunt 365 if they desire. GC asks what is going on and all he has to say is crop damage take it. Or hassle me and I will let none hunt here. I’ve seen it.

On my little 56 acres the rules are much different.

Let’s not leave out various farm subsidies, a portion of which comes out of hunters taxes.

Last edited by battue; 04/10/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read most of the posts on this and find it a bit incredible.

I understand sentiment on tradition - been doing it since 1973 or so, '75 as a 12 year old with a license. I shot my first deer just outside of Marienville in Elk County. My moms famy is all from Clearfield. We hunted Turkey, deer, bears up there for years. I get it.

I also recall the days of the pumpkin army invading the woods, 100 shots in the first hour, deer running everywhere, and any buck larger than a 3" spike getting shot. 80% of the buck kill in those days were 18 month old deer.

I recall the 'horror' over antler restrictions. Woods be littered with dead bucks too small to tag, never shoot another buck again, etc. Last year I saw 5 bucks on the first day, including a legal nice 8 pt that didn't present a shot right after daylight. Shot an 18" 8 pt on Weds of the second week. My dad shot its twin the same evening.

I am now an out of stater. I drive 600 miles to hunt their because of the tradition involved. Wouldn't miss the first day for anything. This year I'll do something really crazy. Drive up Thursday, hang stands on Friday, hunt Saturday, drive 600 miles home on Sunday. I'll repeat the following Friday to hunt Saturday and stay the following week when does are legal and guys are home bitching about the lack of deer, crappy weather or some other complaint. I'd be willing to bet I hang a decent buck and a doe or two by the end of the season.

Suffice to say, I'm ok with a Saturday opener, antler restrictions, and hopefully Sunday hunting next year. We only have so many seasons on this earth. Let's savor what we have. Carry on.

Last edited by bwinters; 04/10/19.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There is NOTHING like opening day in PA. I am sure the guys in Michigan, Maine, Wisconsin etc. have the same sentiment As has been said before it's about tradition. I have lived opening day in PA and CO, no comparison, just sayin. Do I love Colorado absolutely but it doesn't have the mystique for me Pennsylvania did. I think it has a lot to do with the lead up to opening day the weekend before afforded it. I will probably never hunt opening day in PA ever again, but I will never forget the wonderful times and experiences I had when I was there.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This thread is pure gold!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
This thread is pure gold!

And like Yogi would say. "It is deja vu over again" Come Deer season it will repeat. Waa, I like Monday, waa I'm happy with Saturday, waa I want to cut up Deer on Sunday, waa I want to hunt on Sunday, waa Grandpa is really pisssed about this Saturday thing and I have to drive to camp with him, waaa Grandma is pisssed that the GC upset Grandpa and she is going to post the farm.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And to top it off, Christmas is on Wednesday this year.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by dubePA
Intended to get more college students out to hunt, since the poor dears will be home that Saturday, but can't be around the following Monday. Maybe help a few more adults that can't get Monday off and kids whose schools no longer close on the first Monday. They are desperate to stem the loss of hunters and think this will help? Despite the fact that more than one poll indicated a clear majority of deer hunters didn't want the change.

Our current board of commissioners have decided old goats that still drive hours to hunting camps are dinosaurs of the past and no longer matter.

Even though we probably still make up a third or more of current deer hunters. One stat I read during the controversy leading up to this decision, is that only about 25 to 30 percent of deer hunters still travel to a hunting camp for rifle deer So this will benefit those who hunt close to home and the afore mentioned groups.

For decades we got camp open on the Friday after Thanksgiving, visited a bit with camp neighbors, went small game or turkey hunting on that Saturday and got prepped for the Monday opener. Out the window now.

I'm retired, and a long time PA resident, so it doesn't matter much to me, but if they do this without allowing Sunday hunting, I feel it will have a negative effect. As an old fart who has hunted every PA opener for 57 years, I think the northern tier hunting camps and small retailers will suffer, again.
donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They don care about the northern tier. 36% increase in doe kill last year in 2G. Stabilization my ass. 13% reduction in tags this year.....wont even make a dent in last years loss. Its about the trees man, the trees. Failed experiemnt. Oh, cant forget gas, need that revenue. Drill drill drill. Maybe Wolfs gas tax will put a stop to the drillin.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ok, so did anybody think to ask the deer for their opinion? Easiest way would be to set up a polling station outside The Deer Cave* at 8AM opening day.

* The Deer Cave- that secret hidey hole all the bucks disappear to when the first shots are heard. They contain bunks, lavatories, corn stockpiles, and hooker does. Choice bunks and hookers are on a first-come-first-serve basis, usually claimed by the 10-pointers who are smart enough to arrive the night before.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Please explain that better with actual dates as an example. did they shorten your season by a week by opening it the saturday before? I will be honest, I never understood how hunting was done on the east coast, even when I lived there. it was so screwed up as a whole I didn't even hunt. To me is seems like a soup sandwich that ya'll are trying to organize and rationalize. Where I live our season(s) run about the same every year. a few are the whole month of november (or october) regardless of when the 1st starts, and the regular rifle for west river runs so the last of the 3 weekends it's open is thanksgiving weekend. Now I get that people bank on these dates and expect them, but to whine about it opening the saturday before, or complaining that it's not closed on sundays seems absolutely retarded to me. I don't know the whole story, nor do I care except for what I see here when I scroll and it intrigues me enough to click. but as an outsider, it looks to me like the overall season hasn't changed aside from the saturday before the "normal" opener is the new one, so in effect you gained A day of hunting, on a weekend... and many are pissed about it. forget the whole "sunday hunting" which you still fight for keeping. I wonder what kind of stupid they put in the water there. You do realize the deer have no idea what day it is right? now if someone can explain it in a rational matter, I'm all ears, but this really seems like you all have been eating [bleep] for so long, that now when they offer you piss, you complain that it isn't more [bleep]. I honestly feel very sorry for you all to not know what it's like to live free, at least to the degree we are allowed out here. You have my prayers

You’ve obviously never been in the PA deer woods at dawn on the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Holy schit...why would you want to with this many screaming children in the woods?

PA is "bitch baby central" as far as the Sportsman here go.

It must be. Folks wanted to start shooting bigger bucks. So, PA changed the rules so a bunch of does can be shot and let the little guys grow. Then, they started whining about not being able to shoot spikes and forks. Now I've seen some damn fine bucks coming out of PA for the guys that put their time in. Hell, I know a few guys that hunt PA, and their camp butts up against public land. One guy that's never been there, went into those big scary woods with the other hunters and shot a 9pt on his first day. Huh? Who'd a thunk it?

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Nepahunter
The people that weren’t born and raised on this tradition won’t understand why no one likes it and apparently never heard the jerry reed song about the preacher and the bear. That said if you think we are whinny bitches you can swing by my place and let me know personally what a whinny bitch looks like
Pat Mcpeak
121 Borden road owanda Pa 18848
Sunday’s are for drinking and cutting up the deer you killed that week

Oh I've been part of hunting traditions my entire life. Camps, opening day's.... You'd have a hard time convincing me that WI's opening day/deer camp tradition isn't as strong as any state in the country. And... hold the phone, it opens on a Saturday!!! It's the week of Thanksgiving. Schools are closed, bars and restaurants get a good portion of their yearly revenue in those 9 days.

Some people even hunt on Sunday. But we all have fun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haven't done so lately, but when deer hunters here in PA were on our boards moaning about this and that, I looked at similar boards from MI, WI and OH. Seemed like some of the same "end of the world" crap was going on there, as well, if there were changes coming? Perhaps not as much, but seems like as a group, hunters who like to fuss, ain't in short supply.

Maybe we just look worse, because there are 700,000 of us, instead of smaller numbers in many other states? ;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by CBB
Here's another good one. Lots of non res campers have been b!tching about not being able to get doe tags. Allocations are up all over this year 8000 in my wmu. Now you will hear them cry about killing all the deer!

That's BS. Last two years I was able to get two doe tags each year (as a non resident). Should be able to get my two this year.

Last edited by OrangeDiablo; 04/11/19.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by pahick
They don care about the northern tier. 36% increase in doe kill last year in 2G. Stabilization my ass. 13% reduction in tags this year.....wont even make a dent in last years loss. Its about the trees man, the trees. Failed experiemnt. Oh, cant forget gas, need that revenue. Drill drill drill. Maybe Wolfs gas tax will put a stop to the drillin.

Keep voting Communist. They appreciate it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dubePA
but seems like as a group, hunters who like to fuss, ain't in short supply.

[Linked Image]

pahick, did you ever pick up your venison from the butcher? whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
Originally Posted by CBB
Here's another good one. Lots of non res campers have been b!tching about not being able to get doe tags. Allocations are up all over this year 8000 in my wmu. Now you will hear them cry about killing all the deer!

That's BS. Last two years I was able to get two doe tags each year (as a non resident). Should be able to get my two this year.

Not in 2f you didnt. They were sold out first week. Like I said 8000 in my wmu.

Hunt...
J
J
I like the communist comment it's very true in pa as well as the deer cave

J
J
Anyone hunt on gl 66 ??

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Interesting debate.. I hunted Pa. until I moved in 1972... Later when I retired in 99 I hunted it every fall until 2015 when the camp was sold.. There is an excitement about Pa.s deer season that is lacking other places.. Here I have units that I can hunt from Sept. til Dec.. Great, but it is not as exciting as that Pa. opener.. I guess if I were still able to hunt there, it would not make much difference to me either way.. Still an exciting time.. Enjoy!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by pahick

Keep voting Communist. They appreciate it.

Lifelong Republican here, sorry

Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (338reddog, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 35, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 728 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.