Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

The Pennsylvania Game Commission has voted 5-3 to open the statewide firearms deer season on a Saturday. The change is effective this year.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Oh man, this thread will be good for at least 30 pages.

When they first started talking about this, there were some people on here that thought the world was coming to an end. They might get an extra day to hunt, but it made opening day on a Saturday instead of Monday. Personally, I always thought the Monday thing was a little off. We open on Saturday here.

Everyone I know up there loves the idea.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Intended to get more college students out to hunt, since the poor dears will be home that Saturday, but can't be around the following Monday. Maybe help a few more adults that can't get Monday off and kids whose schools no longer close on the first Monday. They are desperate to stem the loss of hunters and think this will help? Despite the fact that more than one poll indicated a clear majority of deer hunters didn't want the change.

Our current board of commissioners have decided old goats that still drive hours to hunting camps are dinosaurs of the past and no longer matter.

Even though we probably still make up a third or more of current deer hunters. One stat I read during the controversy leading up to this decision, is that only about 25 to 30 percent of deer hunters still travel to a hunting camp for rifle deer So this will benefit those who hunt close to home and the afore mentioned groups.

For decades we got camp open on the Friday after Thanksgiving, visited a bit with camp neighbors, went small game or turkey hunting on that Saturday and got prepped for the Monday opener. Out the window now.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gah

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dubePA

For decades we got camp open on the Friday after Thanksgiving, visited a bit with camp neighbors, went small game or turkey hunting on that Saturday and got prepped for the Monday opener. Out the window now.

You can still hunt, visit on Monday.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heard about it right away this morning. Nothing but bitching back and forth since. Small business going to take a hit same as when they changed the bear opener. Guys no longer had to take off on Mon-Wed. Schools and employers no longer need to offer Monday off.

All a push for Sundays. Nothing to do with people and time. Dept of Labor statistics dont lie. Majority of people dont use all their vacation, and the few without vacation is just that, minute compared to the majority.

Personally, I hate it and how itll affect not only tradition, but small business. Not too happy that there will be potentially hung over hunters just over the ridge from partying the night before. With Monday starter they could sleep off Fridays/Saturdays escapades on Sunday. Now theyll be out in full force. Yay.

Ill still do my thing, get my deer after the majority will go home. Am afraid ill lose Monday holiday off and have to burn another vacation day, but oh well.......anything to keep the greedy no priority bastards happy.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Is Sunday hunting still prohibited?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Is Sunday hunting still prohibited?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Machs nichs to me. I don't bother hunting PA until end of first week or the second week anyway. Most of the PA guys I talked to were for it. They screwed up in not including Sundays in the new regulations, IMO.

One thing it will do for us in MD is yank the PA guys out of our woods that first Saturday, hopefully. Historically there's been a large crew of PA guys that swoop down to the Game Lands I hunt to score an extra day of hunting, and all the while blasting anything that moved and actually put on drives right through where others were hunting. (I mean, c'mon. Drives on opening day morning for pete's sake, on public not private land where it's acceptable?!)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm disappointed. I've previously stated my position ad nauseam.

It is what it is.

added
It's a bummer, that's what it is.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Intended to get more college students out to hunt, since the poor dears will be home that Saturday, but can't be around the following Monday. Maybe help a few more adults that can't get Monday off and kids whose schools no longer close on the first Monday. They are desperate to stem the loss of hunters and think this will help? Despite the fact that more than one poll indicated a clear majority of deer hunters didn't want the change.

Our current board of commissioners have decided old goats that still drive hours to hunting camps are dinosaurs of the past and no longer matter.

Even though we probably still make up a third or more of current deer hunters. One stat I read during the controversy leading up to this decision, is that only about 25 to 30 percent of deer hunters still travel to a hunting camp for rifle deer So this will benefit those who hunt close to home and the afore mentioned groups.

It's change, for change's sake.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by pahick
Heard about it right away this morning. Nothing but bitching back and forth since. Small business going to take a hit same as when they changed the bear opener. Guys no longer had to take off on Mon-Wed. Schools and employers no longer need to offer Monday off.

All a push for Sundays. Nothing to do with people and time. Dept of Labor statistics dont lie. Majority of people dont use all their vacation, and the few without vacation is just that, minute compared to the majority.

Personally, I hate it and how itll affect not only tradition, but small business. Not too happy that there will be potentially hung over hunters just over the ridge from partying the night before. With Monday starter they could sleep off Fridays/Saturdays escapades on Sunday. Now theyll be out in full force. Yay.

Ill still do my thing, get my deer after the majority will go home. Am afraid ill lose Monday holiday off and have to burn another vacation day, but oh well.......anything to keep the greedy no priority bastards happy.

Pretty much it in a nutshell.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
This drives me nuts I’m fairly young and disappointed with the way things are going hate to hear arguments that I love to hunt just don’t want to use my vacation to do it. I believe all this is going to back fire on PGC with not getting them any more license sales because that’s what they are digging for I hope that Sunday hunting doesn’t pass when this gives them no change in license numbers

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
How many College students will head home after classes Fri, to hunt Saturday,then head back Sunday for class Monday? Not many. When my daughter was at university, if she could hunt she did. If it wasn't prudent she didnt. Believe it or not,college came first. Still will I bet. It's 2 to 6 years of your life on average. No body will die missing a deer season of two. Megan usually hunted the first Saturday and a couple days within the two week season. Probably as much as most of the folks that voted to change the opener do.

If this is really about students and folks without vacation,why no Sunday hunting?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We've got to appease the "get to do everything" generation....

This is just the rifle season opener. They should have left well enough alone.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
During the "debates" on Sunday Hunting what was one of the biggest arguments? "I dont have vacation and work Saturdays" So the GC gives them Saturdays....the more I think about this schit the more pissed I get. If they wanted another Saturday give us a 3rd week. Reduce the doe allocation to reflect the extra week and BOOM everyones happy again. Again, this has not a damn thing to do with time, and everything with setting up Sundays.

Said it a million times, quit phuggin around with Sundays and put it on the ballot!! Along with disbanding the GC and combining agencies. Its time!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This whole argument never ceases to amuse! same with the sunday hunting arguments. the thought of lobbying to not hunt more is astounding to me.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Denny, im sure as President of PFSC you sat in many meetings. Your opinion, honest question, no BS.....did we, the average hunter ever have a say? Our emails mean nothing?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm delighted. If only obviously.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (222ND, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,176
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.