Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Thanks.

Haha!

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Clydesdale
I'm a dip [bleep], calling in won’t help your cause.

If you are drunk, burping, farting, slurring, and rambling about conspiracies calling in. In short they hung up on me.

Poor crysgale can't handle his booze

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nor her Estrogen Levels.

Bless her heart.

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It is so hard to hit a C&P...

APRIL 16, 2019 AUTHOR: SUZANNE DOWNING3 COMMENTS
Kangaroo court: Committee tries to sink Fish Board nominee

The retired Alaska Superior Court judge was no doubt ready for the barrage of heavy fire he took in the combined House Fisheries/Natural Resources Committee meeting on Monday night.

Karl Johnstone knew coming into his interview that the commercial fishing interests were loaded for bear in opposition of his nomination to the Fisheries Board, a volunteer position. And the committee was stacked with opponents of Gov. Michael Dunleavy who had had targeted him.

And yet Johnstone was courteous, open, and answered the committee’s accusatory questions fully, without rancor.

If they were hoping to wear him down by “Kavanaughing” him, it didn’t work.

KARL JOHNSTONE

Rep. Louise Stutes chaired the meeting. She had already, in written communications to her commercial fishing friends, declared all-out war on Johnstone’s nomination, saying she would do everything in her power to prevent him from being confirmed.

Stutes went so far as to read an anonymous letter into the record, opposing Johnstone. No one on the joint committee objected to her doing so, and she ruled the committee with an iron hand. She made exaggerated expressions during the meeting that Johnstone could not see, but which expressed disapproval or disbelief.

As a committee aide provided material to the attack team on the committee, they asked Johnstone questions they were given to ask. Some of the questions ended up embarrassing the committee members who asked them.

Rep. Sara Hannan wanted to know if Johnstone is a snowbird and how many days he spends in the state. Enough to qualify for a Permanent Fund dividend, Johnstone said. Hannan was trying to imply that having a second home out of state or traveling widely as a retiree should be a disqualifier.

Hannan asked if he took cost of living allowances in his retirement, and she expressed surprise to learn that COLA doesn’t apply to the retirement pensions of retired judges. Stutes’ staff had set her up to look unprepared.

Hannan wanted to know why in 2009 he stayed at the Captain Cook Hotel during the Fish Board meetings. He answered he stayed there because he was advised to stay there by Fish and Game. He was told it would be best if he was on site early and stayed late into the evening to interact with attendees.

[Read: State says per diem was proper]

Hannan wanted to know how much he had donated to the Dunleavy campaign. Johnstone had been an early supporter of the campaign of Charlie Huggins before Huggins dropped from the race, and then Johnstone supported Dunleavy. But he said none of that. To the committee he only said yes, he supported Dunleavy and donated to the political action committee that supported the candidacy of the governor who has since appointed him, and it was $1,000.

Hannan expressed to the committee that she felt that was a problem.

[Read: Top contributors to the Sara Hannan campaign.]

Rep. Geran Tarr implied, delicately, that Johnstone is too old to serve on the Board, and should spend more time “transitioning” and visiting his family. Tarr pondered aloud that he may have too much experience, since he has, in the past, served three terms on the Board of Fisheries. She said maybe it’s time for someone else to serve.

Tarr, who is often heard championing food security with Alaskans, then took up the cause of out-of-state commercial permit holders, rather than those rod-and-reel and dip netters from her own lower-income East Anchorage neighborhoods, who are trying to supplement their food budgets with fish from the rivers.

She said she was troubled that he seemed more concerned with personal use fishing than commercial fishing and that he was not acknowledging climate change as a factor in the changing fishing conditions in Alaska.

Rep. Ivy Spohnholz wanted to know why, when Gov. Bill Walker nominated Roland Maw to the Fish Board in 2015, the board refused to interview him. She said she felt it was not very transparent.

[Read: New indictment on Roland Maw]

Spohnolz didn’t seem to know that Maw had subsequently been indicted on felony charges related to Alaska Permanent Fund dividend fraud and theft, including six felony counts of first-degree unsworn falsification and six felony counts of second-degree theft.

Johnstone politely didn’t bring that up, but said the entire board of seven had decided not to interview Maw, and they didn’t feel that giving a reason was productive.

[Read: Why the Board of Fish never interviewed Roland Maw]

Rep. Chris Tuck wanted to know Johnstone broke hiring rules when hiring a coroner 25 years ago. Johnstone said he was wrong to have done so, and he had been rightfully admonished for not following established procedures.

Rep. Stutes then wanted to know how many times Johnstone had attended the Kenai River Classics, a fundraiser started by Sen. Ted Stevens to support fisheries conservation. Johnstone said hadn’t been for six or seven years.

“Did you in the past?” she continued.

Yes, Johnstone said, but he only attended the dinner, which he paid for himself. He didn’t attend the fishing portion of the event.

Stutes wouldn’t let up: “Did you pay for all your expenses?”

Yes, Johnstone said, he drove to Kenai and back at his own expense.

The accusations kept coming like a firing squad. Stutes and her sisterhood on the committee were going to take him down.

Johnstone is, for United Fishermen of Alaska, their number one target. Both Israel Peyton and Marit Carlson Van Dort breezed through their confirmation interviews with barely a concern from the committee earlier in the evening.

The governor’s nominee for the Fisheries Board then was the subject of hours of testimony from the public. The sports fishing community praised him, while the commercial fishing community damned him. Chairwoman Stutes quickly cut off the testimony of his supporters, while allowing those who oppose him to go on for another 15 seconds past the 90-second limit she had set at the beginning.

At the end of the list of commenters came Roland Maw, but he told the committee that perhaps he’d just not have anything to say at this time.

Chairwoman Stutes then read a four-minute scripted statement about why she opposes Johnstone, reiterating many of the points provided by the United Fishermen of Alaska. She represents commercial fishing interests in Kodiak and Cordova.

The inquisition ended after four hours. Supporters of Johnstone complained that while they got their letters submitted in time, they were not added to the committee packet. But then again, it was never intended to be a fair meeting.

Johnstone’s nomination to the Fish Board will be considered by a joint session of the House and Senate on Wednesday. It’s considered to be close.

Have an opinion on the matter? The Kenai River Sports Fishing Association has a handy tool for sending your thoughts on Johnstone or the other nominees to all Alaska legislators. Try it here.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 79S

If you are drunk, burping, farting, slurring, and rambling about conspiracies calling in. In short they hung up on me.

Crysgale. It Took you a long time to come up with that one.

All the guys want to be me, and all the bitches want to do me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Crysgale. It Took you a long time to come up with that one.

Sshhhhhh it’s ok ... hug your crisis bear and go to sleep..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mouth hug whoever comes to your glory hole.

All the guys want to be me, and all the bitches want to do me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mouth hug whoever comes to your glory hole.

It's ok buddy I'm sure you getting a$$ raped by your boyfriend when you were 18 traumatized you..

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

That is certainly what it looks like...

But they will not even come forward. Something about being able to face your accusers comes to mind...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The only thing that matters is the accusation.

Dem's favorite card.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
ME-TOO’ KAVANAUGH MOMENT, AND NO DUE PROCESS IN JOINT SESSION

In a joint session of the House and Senate this evening, House members opposing the nomination of Karl Johnstone for the Fisheries Board pulled the pin out of their grenade.

Rep. Ivy Spohnholz rose to claim she had been contacted by “more than two women” who said Johnstone had made inappropriate comments that were sexual in nature and that made the women feel uncomfortable. The allegations she made were from anonymous sources.

They were allegations that came after the committee process was completed, they never brought up before, and they were so outrageous that Sen. John Coghill, who serves as Senate Rules Chair, quickly stood up and called for a point of order before Spohnholz could continue.

“This is an accusation that has not been leveled in this building to my knowledge in any credible way” he said. “I would ask that we not go down that road,” he said. “This innuendo and accusation is out of line.”

But the damage was already done. Sen. Bill Wielechowski stood and asked that the nomination of Johnstone be tabled, and that vote to table passed closely, 28-27.

But before it was tabled, Rep. Sara Rasmussen rose to decry the injustice of bringing allegations forward that cannot be defended by the person being accused. There was no due process, she said, and as a mom of a young son, she worried about people making allegations like this against her own son in the future.

Moments before, Rep. Geran Tarr had plainly insinuated that the governor’s nominee to the Board of Education, Bob Griffin, acted like a “pedophile or kidnapper.”

Griffin had been doing a study on school bus routes, and someone called the police concerned about him following school buses.

Rasmussen also rose to object to that unfounded character assassination, and Tarr later apologized for besmirching Griffin’s character. His nomination passed.

Long-time observers say that in the past decade they can never remember the attacks against nominees being so personal, so nasty, so anonymous, and so unfounded. Republicans never made such unfounded and unsavory allegations about nominees of Gov. Bill Walker.

http://mustreadalaska.com/democrats-weaponize-anonymous-allegations-against-fish-board-nominee/

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Looking at the Commies crying makes me think Johnstone is exactly the right man for the job.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Looks like it worked on Johnstone... They have refused to appoint him to the Board of Fish. I hope those "Believed" lying bitches get theirs.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bullschitd on multiple levels.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This what Suzanne Downing wrote yesterday:
Democrats weaponize anonymous allegations against Fish Board nominee

‘ME-TOO’ KAVANAUGH MOMENT, AND NO DUE PROCESS IN JOINT SESSION

In a joint session of the House and Senate this evening, House members opposing the nomination of Karl Johnstone for the Fisheries Board pulled the pin out of their grenade.

Rep. Ivy Spohnholz rose to claim she had been contacted by “more than two women” who said Johnstone had made inappropriate comments that were sexual in nature and that made the women feel uncomfortable. The allegations she made were from anonymous sources.

They were allegations that came after the committee process was completed, they never brought up before, and they were so outrageous that Sen. John Coghill, who serves as Senate Rules Chair, quickly stood up and called for a point of order before Spohnholz could continue.

“This is an accusation that has not been leveled in this building to my knowledge in any credible way” he said. “I would ask that we not go down that road,” he said. “This innuendo and accusation is out of line.”

But the damage was already done. Sen. Bill Wielechowski stood and asked that the nomination of Johnstone be tabled, and that vote to table passed closely, 28-27.

But before it was tabled, Rep. Sara Rasmussen rose to decry the injustice of bringing allegations forward that cannot be defended by the person being accused. There was no due process, she said, and as a mom of a young son, she worried about people making allegations like this against her own son in the future.

Moments before, Rep. Geran Tarr had plainly insinuated that the governor’s nominee to the Board of Education, Bob Griffin, acted like a “pedophile or kidnapper.”

Griffin had been doing a study on school bus routes, and someone called the police concerned about him following school buses.

Rasmussen also rose to object to that unfounded character assassination, and Tarr later apologized for besmirching Griffin’s character. His nomination passed.

Long-time observers say that in the past decade they can never remember the attacks against nominees being so personal, so nasty, so anonymous, and so unfounded. Republicans never made such unfounded and unsavory allegations about nominees of Gov. Bill Walker.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Isn’t that what I C&P’d 4 posts up? wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, but I wanted it fresh for comparison to this:

Lawmakers vote down Board of Fisheries nominee after sexual harassment allegations surface
pencil Author: James Brooks clock Updated: 7 hours ago calendar Published 15 hours ago
Members of the Alaska Legislature crowd around the rostrum containing Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, and Speaker of the House Bryce Edgmon, I-Dillingham, as they consider whether to table the nomination of Karl Johnstone to the Alaska Board of Fisheries. (James Brooks / ADN)
Members of the Alaska Legislature crowd around the rostrum containing Senate President Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, and Speaker of the House Bryce Edgmon, I-Dillingham, as they consider whether to table the nomination of Karl Johnstone to the Alaska Board of Fisheries. (James Brooks / ADN)

JUNEAU — The Alaska Legislature rejected two appointments by Gov. Mike Dunleavy to state boards and commissions after lawmakers said each may have committed misconduct not previously disclosed in confirmation hearings.

Meeting in joint session Wednesday to consider officials for state boards and commissions, lawmakers rejected Karl Johnstone for the Alaska Board of Fisheries and tabled a vote on Scott Flamme for the state board of veterinary examiners.

Speaking on the House floor, Rep. Ivy Spohnholz, D-Anchorage, said she heard from two women who said Johnstone made “inappropriate and unwelcome sexual comments” to them while previously serving on the board.

Spohnholz said the women “were not willing to testify on the record because of the fear of retribution.”

She later clarified by text message that they are afraid they would be the target of retribution if they made their claims public.

Sen. John Coghill, R-North Pole, and Rep. Sara Rasmussen, R-Anchorage, said it was inappropriate for lawmakers to discuss those allegations without giving Johnstone a chance to respond.

Sen. Bill Wielechowski, D-Anchorage, then asked to table Johnstone’s nomination.

That vote to table passed 28-27 with several members of the joint session absent, but lawmakers returned to the matter later in the evening and conclusively voted down Johnstone, 24-33.

Johnstone’s nomination had already been controversial and was fiercely opposed by the state’s commercial fishermen. He was strongly supported by sport and personal-use fishermen.

Spohnholz said said she learned of the allegations Tuesday.

When asked whether it was fair to levy accusations without giving Johnstone an opportunity to respond, Spohnholz said, “I think the legislative process is not well-suited to handling issues of sexual harassment."

Later in the evening, Rep. Geran Tarr, D-Anchorage, asked lawmakers to reverse a unanimous vote appointing Scott Flamme to the state board of veterinary examiners. Speaking on the floor, she said she had discovered multiple domestic violence restraining orders in his history on Courtview.

The circumstances of those orders were not immediately clear Wednesday evening, and Rasmussen asked lawmakers — as they had done with Johnstone — to table Flamme’s nomination rather than vote up or down.

By text message, Tarr said she doesn’t know what the Courtview records indicate and “was surprised by Rep. Rasmussen’s motion to table it, but I guess others felt concerned, too.”

In a subsequent text message sent after the initial publication of this article, she said it is possible the restraining orders may have been dismissed, but she felt raising the issue on the floor was the only way to have it heard before a final vote.

Lawmakers could take up Flamme’s nomination during another joint session, but if they do not, the House and Senate clerks said Wednesday night that they believe (based on a reading of state law) his nomination would expire with the end of this year’s legislative session.

The nominations of Johnstone and Flamme were among 104 cabinet, board and commission officials considered by the Alaska Legislature in a joint House-Senate session Wednesday. Most were accepted during floor debates that concluded after more than seven and a half hours.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 74 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.