Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Oh ya , Gophergunner. I dont think he piped in on this thread.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
BP-B2

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by ihookem
In Wisconsin , I am all for an earlier season and PA. is about the same. Next year , Wisconsin gun opens Nov. 23. This yr it opened Nov. 17. There is a big difference in a season that starts 6 days later. The bucks are all but done rutting . Ya, I know, we still see them chasing but up in the big public land, the does are scarce. The bucks run themselves half to death for a few does. By the time Nov. 23 comes , they are tired. Trail cam pics of daytime bucks are rare, and I mean rare. One or two bucks a year after mid Nov. is rare to see a trail cam pic of any legal buck during shooting hours and this includes areas that are not even hunted so it's not hunter pressure. From Oct. 28 to Nov. 9 is when we get almost all our daytime pics of bucks, and many of those bucks would keep a youngin interested for a few more years and likely forever if they see a decent buck ever few years. Up there, you can go years without seeing a buck, any buck, even a spike is a real treat. The only way is to bait and keep a bait pile active . I refuse to hunt like that . If we outlaw bait , and everyone would stop baiting , the deer would move all day like they used to , at least a lot more than they used to. If we outlaw bait,and everyone stopped , we could hunt the whole month of November and not shoot any more bucks than the 9 day gun with bait. This way we can choose our time easier. You dont NEED to be out there opening morning a 5AM. Also, the second morning of gun season it was just below zero and a good wind. I didn't bother so I took a walk . I just dont have the desire to sit motionless in a tree for long . I likely have a deer from my home town with a bow. If the DNR wants more license , I suggest opening up season a bit earlier. One week would likely be warmer , more " fall ish " weather instead of winter. If y await to hun tlater go with a muzzleloader too if ya like the 10 below. We need to come up with something. Wisconsin lost another 14,000 gun sales tis year . Michigan wad down even more. It can't be much longer and leases will likely drop . No one hunting means less demand, less demand. Less lease demand will not fall off much cause as hunters get older, they say to heck with public and avr. age gun hunter in Wisc. is 54 yrs old. At this time in their lives , they say I will lease, sit in a warm blind on GOOD deer land and see deer. When they give up that ghost lease demand will be reduced. Has to . If license sales continue down , there is just less hunters on public. I have sure seen it in Northern Wisconsin. I have also seen it in S.E. Wisconsin too, but still a lot of hunters, just noticeably less. DNR had a big problem with gun sales. One reason is there are so many crossbow hunters now. Their success rate in Wisconsin is undeniable, and surely one reason gun hunters are tired of lack of deer, after 2 months of bow/crossbow seasons. Up north you get a bait pile going a few weeks and stupid spikes come right in. Put their heads down , stand broadside and shoot a bolt from an X bow with an aluminized scope on a rest. Its not even hunting and no harder than a deer target. To leave gun hunters sucking hind ttiit is not appreciated , although , I bow hunt , I dont bait. Baiting is for those who just want to say they shot a deer, the ones not baiting are out hunting .

We gun hunter suck hind tit here in PA too.

Is there any reason you don't archery hunt?

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
Originally Posted by moosemike
In Wisconsin , I am all for an earlier season and PA. is about the same. Next year , Wisconsin gun opens Nov. 23. This yr it opened Nov. 17. There is a big difference in a season that starts 6 days later. The bucks are all but done rutting . Ya, I know, we still see them chasing but up in the big public land, the does are scarce. The bucks run themselves half to death for a few does. By the time Nov. 23 comes , they are tired. Trail cam pics of daytime bucks are rare, and I mean rare. One or two bucks a year after mid Nov. is rare to see a trail cam pic of any legal buck during shooting hours and this includes areas that are not even hunted so it's not hunter pressure. From Oct. 28 to Nov. 9 is when we get almost all our daytime pics of bucks, and many of those bucks would keep a youngin interested for a few more years and likely forever if they see a decent buck ever few years. Up there, you can go years without seeing a buck, any buck, even a spike is a real treat. The only way is to bait and keep a bait pile active . I refuse to hunt like that . If we outlaw bait , and everyone would stop baiting , the deer would move all day like they used to , at least a lot more than they used to. If we outlaw bait,and everyone stopped , we could hunt the whole month of November and not shoot any more bucks than the 9 day gun with bait. This way we can choose our time easier. You dont NEED to be out there opening morning a 5AM. Also, the second morning of gun season it was just below zero and a good wind. I didn't bother so I took a walk . I just dont have the desire to sit motionless in a tree for long . I likely have a deer from my home town with a bow. If the DNR wants more license , I suggest opening up season a bit earlier. One week would likely be warmer , more " fall ish " weather instead of winter. If y await to hun tlater go with a muzzleloader too if ya like the 10 below. We need to come up with something. Wisconsin lost another 14,000 gun sales tis year . Michigan wad down even more. It can't be much longer and leases will likely drop . No one hunting means less demand, less demand. Less lease demand will not fall off much cause as hunters get older, they say to heck with public and avr. age gun hunter in Wisc. is 54 yrs old. At this time in their lives , they say I will lease, sit in a warm blind on GOOD deer land and see deer. When they give up that ghost lease demand will be reduced. Has to . If license sales continue down , there is just less hunters on public. I have sure seen it in Northern Wisconsin. I have also seen it in S.E. Wisconsin too, but still a lot of hunters, just noticeably less. DNR had a big problem with gun sales. One reason is there are so many crossbow hunters now. Their success rate in Wisconsin is undeniable, and surely one reason gun hunters are tired of lack of deer, after 2 months of bow/crossbow seasons. Up north you get a bait pile going a few weeks and stupid spikes come right in. Put their heads down , stand broadside and shoot a bolt from an X bow with an aluminized scope on a rest. Its not even hunting and no harder than a deer target. To leave gun hunters sucking hind ttiit is not appreciated , although , I bow hunt , I dont bait. Baiting is for those who just want to say they shot a deer, the ones not baiting are out hunting .

We gun hunter suck hind tit here in PA too.

Is there any reason you don't archery hunt?

Used to. Like guns too much and got tired of sitting out Rifle season.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
OrangeDeablo, I do archery hunt but I gun hunt in the big north woods on public land. I quit bow hunting there cause it is so hard to see a deer not to mention get them close enough to shoot. To make matters worse the deer are even harder to hunt since the wolves came in 25 yrs ago. Those deer are so unbelievably spooky , I dont see how anyone could get them with a bow. They were always a bit more spooky but went into hyper spooky since the wolves came in. In Southern Wisc. where I live and hunt deer , I mostly bow hunt but also gun hunt. The bow hunting is ok at best but by the time gun season is on it's way , those high pressured public land deer are also very nocturnal and hard to even see one in the daytime.

Last edited by ihookem; 02/25/19.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I am looking forward to the opening day being moved to Saturday. I have hunted here in PA since 1985. I hunt mostly private land now, but have hunted widely in probably 20 counties across the state and still enjoy hunting both game commission and state forest tracts every year. My daughters are basketball players, so a saturday opener will probably give us a chance to get out with other family and spend some time in the woods. I also look forward to the day we catch up with the rest of the nation and allow Sunday hunting. I also really enjoy hunting deer with a bow, inline, and flintlock when I still have tags left.

I find that many of the guys I grew up hunting with have many other competing interests and increased resources so they seldom prioritize rifle hunting in PA anymore. Some use leave for western early season hunts and others migrate to Kansas or other midwest destinations for rut hunts with archery gear or to take advantage of earlier opening rifle seasons. I do this stuff also and admittedly don't put as much into rifle or bow season here as I did historically.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh ya , Gophergunner. I dont think he piped in on this thread.

I didn't read through all the posts. I just check in here once in a while on this thread. I don't know if I ticked anyone off with any previous comments, but I'll chime in here. It wouldn't bother me if they changed the opener to Saturday. Having moved out of the area to states that hunt on Sunday, I think it would help hunter retention numbers to be able to open on a Saturday and hunt Sundays too.

Our camp is one of 7 on the trail we're on. Back in the day, all 7 camps would be occupied for the opener. Nowadays, two of the camps have guys in for the opener. It's a shame to see such a time honored tradition fading away. Many of the crews "aged out" as did our camp, and our good friends across the trail. None of the younger generation took up the torch, or moved elsewhere. A ride around the mountain to visit "the neighbors" during deer season is a pretty sobering experience these days. Iconic camps with names like Bear's Den, Camp Misery, and the Plastered Bastards sit empty, or have been totally abandoned. There's tons of public land in our area. Heck most of Boone Mountain, which is where our camp is, is State Forest.

I really think something needs to be done to rectify this situation. Our heritage just can't afford to keep bleeding like this. I well remember the run to camp before I-80 went through. All those little towns we passed through were beehives of activity. The bars and restaurants were hopping, the motels were booked solid,every camp had a full compliment of guys in, and the gun shops and hardware stores were incredibly busy.

It just isn't the same any more.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Interesting thread, I'd accept the Saturday opener.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well they've done it.

Rifle season will open the Saturday after Thanksgiving this year....

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
make hunting on wednesdays only, that's what I say. LOL

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.