Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I could hunt the rest of my life with a 30/30 and cast bullets

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same here, but I enjoy the little needle-blowers I've got, and glass, while not absolutely required yet, is a help. Closest thing to a.30/30 I have now is my .44 Low Wall, which may get violated with a scope mount if I can summon the courage. Half will decry the destruction of a "collectable" while the other half already hate its Japanese origins. Guess I should just do what I want; what a concept!

What fresh Hell is this?
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I would be interested in a simple Remington Model 7 in 30-30 Win. I am a hunter that packs in a climber, backpack and weapon. A mile is common. I doth mind 1 mile through a swamp and marsh grass but lighter is better. I have started taking my TC Encore in 45-70 gov. It's a light set up but half a dozen shells is actually noticeably heavier .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'ld like to think of myself as a modern guy, having moved on from the antiquated 30-30 to the futuristic 300 Savage.
Disappointed in myself that it took so many decades to appreciate just how effective these rounds perform, particularly for a woods hunter.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
High, wide and lonesome? Don't tell anybody but I know a fellow from out in the WY/MT region that hunts speed goats with a flintlock. Operative word there is "hunts".

For sake of clarity he is seldom unsuccessful.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 04/13/19.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by papat
Isn’t it amazing with all the whiz bang stuff this thread is going this far on the old 30-30? Cast some bullets the other just to play with my 1957 vintage 94.

Don't be makin' fun of the "old 30-30". Ingwe tells me it's not that old of a cartridge and they do shoot now and then.

[Linked Image]

Lower left is a group from the Contender, the rest are from a Win 94 Trapper @ various distances (50, 80 and 100 yards). 170 gr Hornady with RX12, BLC-2 and RX15. Not too shabby for a receiver sight, hey?

[Linked Image]

Of late I've been doing a fair bit of work with cast bullets, this at 50 yards

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dan, I will never make fun of the 30-30 nomatter how old Ingwe is. It took the biggest deer I will likely ever shoot one morning. Much respect.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[Linked Image]

I surely enjoy my old 30-30 Glenfield with the silly pressed-in checkering & designs. Don't hunt with it all that often, but I do enjoy it. Often have it in the Jeep for short or long trips into the hills when it's just kinda nice to have a rifle along.

Tend to load good ol IMR3031 and one of the conventional 170 gr bullets; Remington, Sierra.

Have played a bit with a very light load, a cast bullet over Unique. That's fun to shoot for sure!

Guy

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
But this forum doesn't always address practical matters, Dan. I suppose that's why it's difficult to take seriously at times. laugh

---

"The 30-30 sucks!" smirk

Half will get their back up when you post something like that. But...the other half will agree, citing cartridges they think are better.

There's another 'but'. Have someone in the industry that is respected post his or her support for the 30-30 and some reverse their stand, or qualify their remarks. "Well, what I meant was that I wouldn't use one..but it's okay for others to use I guess..."

Etc., etc., Amen.

[Linked Image]

An odd picture of an angry 24 hr Campfire poster. Is he ranting? laugh
---

284LUVR, if you were happy with 748, get more. Nothing succeeds like success!

Steve - where did you get my portrait?
I'm not ranting - just sitting in the corner drooling down my shirt-front. smile

I just looked around the board for poster's portraits. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mark, when you stop droolin' try this.

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/rb30.htm

I do it a little differently, but over the years I've been surprised from time to time at the repeatable accuracy.

Rest of you wankers might give it a go next winter when you're snowed in and bored senseless.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My I pad kept auto correcting me when I tried to spell lever lotion. So that's how it got named!

It's economical, meters well, and out performs the other powder I used h 4895 in shorter barrels in the 300 savage.

I noticed how much higher the bullet would hit when I was shooting rocks etc across canyons with my 94 when I shot the Hornady lever lotion cartridges compared to the other factory stuf.

I like the powder, kinda makes it boring.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Mark, when you stop droolin' try this.

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/rb30.htm

I do it a little differently, but over the years I've been surprised from time to time at the repeatable accuracy.

Rest of you wankers might give it a go next winter when you're snowed in and bored senseless.

Dan, I seldom carry a rifle loaded that light. Out at the ranch you may get between a mama bear, and her cubs, coyote at 200 yards, antelope, deer, or elk during season - and I've been expecting feral hogs for several years now.
I like your thinking, but, it's not for me.
Sounds fun, though!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was jokin' mostly. Such things are good fodder for the kids at short range, and perhaps amusing adults at times. I don't do it often myself even down here were 50 yards might be a different zip code.

Don't ask me about multi-ball loads in straight wall cases. I'll deny having done such things. In a .30-30.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
any consensus on best sizing diameter for cast in the pre-64 Winchesters?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
65J, the first step for casting for any gun, regardless of vintage is to slug the bore. One can do a chamber cast if so inclined, but that provides info on chamber/throat dims. Slug it and you'll know what the bore/groove geometry is. For smokeless loads look for a finished bullet of groove to groove +.001".

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
High, wide and lonesome? Don't tell anybody but I know a fellow from out in the WY/MT region that hunts speed goats with a flintlock. Operative word there is "hunts".

For sake of clarity he is seldom unsuccessful.

On my trips to Wyoming for mule deer/antelope I never killed one much beyond archery range. First time out I lugged a .25-06 because all the gun scribes, seasoned friends, bar hounds, and other self-described experts said it was minimum for the long shots I was to expect. One guy chastised me for not glomming onto a .257 Weatherby as shots were that drastic. Two animals, 50 yards each. The rest of my sojourns found me with a .257 Roberts (M1952 Mannlicher-Schoenauer w/2-7x scope) figuring that a repeat performance wouldn't find me so heavily overgunned. Never mind that again all my shots were that close and closer. I swore if I repeated the trip I would just take a .30-30 with an aperture sight and call it a day. (Of course, up will jump the devil. Or not.) (Rolling prairie/high desert not far out of Gillette, guided by Randy Greer- a guy who liked that I wanted to "hunt" and not "snipe".)

Yeah, the best scope turrets and high vel cartridges can't beat one's hind legs, calloused stomach (I'm still plucking prickly pear needles years later), and grey matter.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
65J, the first step for casting for any gun, regardless of vintage is to slug the bore. One can do a chamber cast if so inclined, but that provides info on chamber/throat dims. Slug it and you'll know what the bore/groove geometry is. For smokeless loads look for a finished bullet of groove to groove +.001".

I'll debate you over a wee dram of the old nasty on that one, Dan. Instead of slugging the bore I would do a chamber cast to include a one inch section of the throat and bore (via pound cast or Cerrosafe, take your pick). Then size the cast bullet to throat diameter minus a half thousandth or so (.0005") and ignore groove diameter. the whole idea behind uber cast bullet accuracy is to guide it as straight into the bore as possible and easing it through the throat into the leade as form fitting as possible. The chamber cast will divulge bore diameter too so one can size the nose (or pick a nose diameter) that will lie gently on top of the lands aiding in the objective of straight-down-the-barrelness.

On the other hand, selecting a bullet diameter that is a couple thousandths over groove diameter may well slop a guy into achieving the nirvana I described above. Or it may not. "Modern" throats are pretty uniform and forgiving in that regard, older rifles, especially 19th/early 20th century guns not so much. It's not uncommon to encounter ancient rifles with throats smaller than groove diameter in which case one is kind of screwed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, I don't think there's much to debate about that, but....not everyone is as looney as you and me. laugh

One thing slugging the bore will tell you that a chamber cast won't is if you have reasonably uniform bore dims. I've run across a few surprises in the past. It isn't uncommon to find old barrels with loose dims approaching the muzzle.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There is that. Usually from horny-handed chaps long stroking from the muzzle without benefit of a bore guide. Not that I've never done that, in a previous life long ago in a galaxy far away.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by mathman
There is a poster here who calls that powder by Leverlotion. grin

Thanks for the visual! sick laugh

To the OP, RL-15 and 170gr Partitions is a very good spot to be in.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, if it ain't broke....

I am..........disturbed.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,208 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,241
Posts18,466,784
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.