Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have not tried them yet.
They sound excellent, and my experience with the Cutting Edge MTH bullet has been quite good, the Hammer product should be equally as good.
With the MTH bullet, it shot well on paper, was easy to develope handloads for and gave high velocities.
I have not tried them on Game-yet.
Anyways, for those that don't know they are machined copper, and engage the rifling with a small band encircling the bullet.
I would like any feedback that you are offering.
Yep, they will be costly but so is a cold beer when your thirsty for it.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I haven’t tried them yet.....but am very tempted! Their forum is a good source of information, and Steve (the owner) will answer pretty much ant question thrown his way! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I tried them for the first time this year. What amazed me most was how easy they are to load for( if you listen to Steve's advice) He says to choose a powder that gives you closest to 100% fill capacity without being compressed, and use a magnum primer. The first load I tried in my 260 (just a week before our pa deer season) yielded a .6 group at 100 yards. This was from a Ruger M77 MKII that has been rather finicky in what it likes. That impressed me. I then used the load to shoot several deer, and they performed well. The bad thing was I accidentally hit the shoulder of a quartering deer, and it made a mess of the shoulder. Otherwise, I liked what I saw this year and plan on using them again next year. May also start loading in different calibers. This load was for a 260 Remington and I was using the 117 grain sledgehammers.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What’s the performance on game like?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
sounds like it died when hit?

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I expect they would be excellent. The C.E's were really easy to develope loads for. Resize, trim and seat the bullet to the drive band. No messing with seating depths.
Hammer bullets must be similar. The C.E. match, tactical, hunting ( mth) bullet, must have similar effect on a Game animal...holds the base and disperses the fragments. It sounds devastating to me. Have only used them on paper though. I probably will reorder unless I can get the Hammer stuff here in Canada.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by prm
What’s the performance on game like?

Like I said this is the first year I tried them, but so far I liked what I saw. I shot 3 with the bullet. The one like I said hit the onside shoulder, and I ended up throwing most of it away. The bullet still did penetrate entirely leaving an exit. Deer made it less than 10 yards. A second one was shot in the back of the head from 30 yards. She died immediately. The third one was a classic behind the shoulder shot, not a CNS shot. Deer ran maybe 30-40 yards and died. Overall I was pretty impressed with what I saw.The bullets did not kill the deer any "deader", but worked well. I like an exit wound, and all gave me that even with hitting the shoulder. The beauty I see with these is the same bullet style that penetrated through the shoulder also expanded reliably enough to dispatch quickly even when only ribs were hit. I plan on using them again next year in my 260, and may also try some in a 308.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks.

I tried the cutting edge bullets but could not get them to shoot at all. But either the 186 or 213 .338 cal interests me for a 338 Fed.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
From my experience with the one bullet and from what I have heard from others, they are not that hard to get to shoot.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I also got some 178 grain for my 358 Winchester once that gets finished. Hope to try them this fall.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 13 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 671 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.