Print Thread
Hop To
R
Rodell Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I picked up a Browning 1885 in 45-70. I'd like to mount a scope on it I could remove when the situation warrants it and use the irons.

It seems the Leupold base is too high to use the iron sights when the scope is removed (and it doesn't look like there are an QD rings for that base, anyway). Does anyone know of any base/ring combo that will fit the bill?

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Talley makes a great base/detachable ring setup for the Winchester 1885. I don't know if it would work with the Browning. I didn't use my Winchester with the rear barrel sight but I did use it with a tang sight which just cleared the scope base when the tang sight was adjusted up for longer range shooting.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The Talley base for the 1885 is as low as is possible. And, it is quite stylish.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Talley used to have a peep sight too for their bases. If they don't anymore maybe the NECGG one could be adapted.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rodell
I picked up a Browning 1885 in 45-70. I'd like to mount a scope on it I could remove when the situation warrants it and use the irons.

It seems the Leupold base is too high to use the iron sights when the scope is removed (and it doesn't look like there are an QD rings for that base, anyway). Does anyone know of any base/ring combo that will fit the bill?

I have the Talley one piece base on my Browning Low Wall 22 Hornet. It is great.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't believe you will find any scope base that will let you remove just the scope and still use the iron sights with the bases in place. The OEM rear sight extends to about .2" of the forward most screw hole for the front base, then you have the step elevator which will extend back even further to cover that screw hole or interfere with any base that would be mounted there. So I doubt you could have a scope base and the iron sights on at the same time.

Even if you used a replacement rear like a Williams folding leaf, with the profile of the barrel you need a tall front base to end up level with the base on the receiver so it would block the rear sight anyway. Even on the Talley one piece you'll see that the front part is much thicker top to bottom to meet the barrel.

Looks like you'll have to just pick one or the other and dismount the scope completely if you want to use the irons.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Rodell Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Looks like you'll have to just pick one or the other and dismount the scope completely if you want to use the irons.

That's a bummer, but not unexpected. I think it will be irons, at least for a while.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

66 members (41rem, bcraig, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 11 invisible), 1,053 guests, and 717 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,488
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.