Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I'm building a Grendel and I'm trying to choose between the Hornady load and the Federal Fusion with the above stated bullets. I'll be using a 16 inch Faxon Gunner barrel. Anyone have any actual experience with these Factory loads out of a short barrel (16" ). Actual velocities ect.
I've always reloaded so my experience with factory ammo is very limited
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Lj

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Heavybullets
I'm building a Grendel and I'm trying to choose between the Hornady load and the Federal Fusion with the above stated bullets. I'll be using a 16 inch Faxon Gunner barrel. Anyone have any actual experience with these Factory loads out of a short barrel (16" ). Actual velocities ect.
I've always reloaded so my experience with factory ammo is very limited
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Lj

I'm interested in seeing some data, too. I just got my Grendel together last week and put a few through the pipe. The Hornady 123 SST loads clocked at around 2410 average, with a very low E.S., and put the first 5 rounds out in a cluster just under an inch at 100 yards. None of the local shops carry any other ammo, so I'm looking at ordering some Of the ELD's to try out, and have some Starline brass and dies on the way.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve never shot either out of a Grendel, but I can’t see where inside of 200yds that the SST would offer anything over the Fusion. On paper the fusion is a much tougher bullet. I’ve shot both moose and caribou with one and it performed like it was supposed to. Good expansion and pass throughs. Again I’ve never shot the SST, but I read a lot about them coming apart. YMMV.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What cartridge did you shoot the fusions out of.

I have shot both out of my Grendels but have not killed anything with them yet.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RMiller2
What cartridge did you shoot the fusions out of.

I have shot both out of my Grendels but have not killed anything with them yet.

6.5 Swede on a bou and .300wm for moose.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in the same situation. I've been pouring over reviews in the last couple of days. The fusions seems to be hard to find at the moment. Fusions seem to be the better killer but BC isn't great if you are thinking of going long. SST seems to be either great or explosive depending on velocity and what kind of resistance they meet. ELD-M also seems to be getting great reviews as a game bullet if you can stand the thought of shooting a match bullet at game.

I plan to buy a box of each (if I can find them) and let my rifle decide...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The .224" and .243" versions CRUSH it.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At Grendel velocities, the SST would (and will) be my choice. Creed I'd go something bonded (or all copper a la Barnes), but the 125SST out of my blackout makes two excellent drain holes--one on each side--of everything I shoot. If there's fragmentation, it's not present in any meat that comes off the critter, so it must happen in the vitals. I'm fine with that, additional tearing in the heart/lungs isn't a detriment.

Everything I've shot with SSTs out of my blackout has dropped within 25 yards. Some haven't gone anywhere.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming. I'm favoring the Fusion 120s right now, I only use rifles to hunt and the Grendel is a borderline cartridge for my uses but should work on stationary targets up to 300. If anyone has some velocities out oh a 16 inch tube I'd like to hear about it
thanks
Lj

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The .224" and .243" versions CRUSH it.

Hint..................

Hint

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Short answer: Both are great and kill medium sized game with very little drama.

Over at 65grendel.com there is an imperial buttload of data on these two rounds in the ammo/reloading forum and hunting forum. And velocities given different bbl lengths. (Spoiler: 16" bbl is probably best all-around.)

My daughter's 16" bbl 6.5G is in the middle of bbl break-in, maybe fewer than 200 rounds downrange. Fusion 120 looks to group a smidge better than SST, but SST is more readily available. We'll see after 200-+ rounds down the pipe. Hers shoots the cheap steel cased Wolf pretty well, so I can toss her a box or two and let her rip after we get the serious shooting done. Girl loves that rifle.

Oh, and my daughter hammered a large Axis doe last month with the 123gr SST factory load. Traditional behind the shoulder shot. Doe got 100 yards and then realized she was dead. That SST penetrated, left a quarter-sized hole on the way out, and turned lungs into what looked like chum to me. I would be happy with SST on anything but the biggest critters suitable for 6.5G, then might want a tougher bullet like Fusion.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't know about the Fusion, but a friend of mine showed me pics of a number of SST victims. Good sized deer too. He's been very happy with how it does them in.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Old thread, but wanted to chime in. This past season I build a lightweight AR 18" barrel Grendel for woods hunting in WV. Popped a large doe in the chest at about 50 yards with factory Hornady 123 SST and was VERY impressed at how that little cartridge and bullet combo performed. I'd feel comfortable out to 300+ with it. Will be loading the 123 SST in my lightweight 6.5 Creed and 6.5x47 bolt guns for this coming deer season.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,506
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.