Are you grabbing a 30 or 32?

Then, any thoughts on a Berreta 686 Silver pigeon 1,

or Browning 725 sporting?

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
When the game came here there were a lot of 30’s being used. As the shooters became more experienced 32’s and 34 O/U’s became the normal. Today a 30 inch O/U is hard to get rid of amongst the SC crowd.

The Beretta 680 series may be the most durable O/U’s ever made. Also the easiest to rebuild.

Dedicated trap and SC guns, may have significant differences, depending on how serious one is for each game. An adjustable comb is you friend.

Last edited by battue; 04/10/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For what you describe I would happily grab a Beretta 32" and break rocks!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Guy I know put around 200,000 rounds down a 682 and didn’t give it all that much care. Replaced some firing pins and ejectors along the way. Finally had to rebuild it completely.

Last edited by battue; 04/10/19.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
An adjustable comb is you friend.

Understood, especially on a dedicated trap gun,

but what about a mix of trap and sporting clays?

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
An adjustable comb allows one to get a pretty good fit no matter what the game is.

Raise it for trap rising targets and bring it down for sporting, where all of them are not climbing or at warp speed as in trap.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You may get a sporter off the rack that fits you, but with an adjustable comb you can be assured or fine tune it to be better. You also have the option to raise it for trap.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The adj comb does what?

raises your head so your shots are higher for the rising bird?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It can raise the comb to make it shoot higher, it can lower the comb to make it shoot lower, it can move to the right so the shot goes to the right, it can go to the left so the shot moves left, it can be set just right so your eye is centered over the rib. Then you leave the left and right alone, but have the option of raising it for trap or lowering it and making it more flat for sporting.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Lets say your about to buy yourself a nice O/U,

Main purpose of this gun is sporting clays and trap,

What do you shoot now, in terms of shotgun, and where are you in terms of the games, if I may ask. Because you can shoot whatever strikes your fancy. Now as battue points out there are definite trends associated with greater success, big picture/many targets/competition. But what are you already comfortable with and fit well for will matter far more presently than browning vs beretta, 30 vs 32”.

But anyway, you asked: 686 in 30”, and twice so if you already shoot auto/pump in 28” (about same overall lengths). If you already shoot a 30” or 32” double, shrug; whichever you like. All else being equal, given a decent swing, i’d wager a tick faster gun will benefit the joyfully varied (unexpected) SC presentations more so than an extra 2” is ever going to tangibly benefit trap, particularly in a do it all gun. But, hey, that’s just my opinion. End of the day, just enjoy shooting. Would also wager if you’re at it a while, your preferences or curiosity at least will have you trying something different again anyway.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a very average shooter in clays, generally only shoot several times a year with friends,,,, My trap game is declining for some reason. Part of that reason could be trying several different guns, or,

I just suck at it.....

870 full choke 30 inch,

or I'll grab my Benelli M1 with 24 inch barrel, love this gun for turkey and such but for clays it has my worst average,

Sometimes I'll grab my Sons M1 with 26 inch barrel for trap and my average goes up a few birds.

But lately, 15 birds a round has been a struggle...

I understand the Indian is more important than the arrow,

but thinking about getting into a league with friends and looking to treat myself.

I enjoy SC but a trap range is much closer to home and trap often wins the coin toss.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Lets say your about to buy yourself a nice O/U,

Main purpose of this gun is sporting clays and trap,

Most definately buy a the shotgun of your choice with 32 inch barrels.. As others have side in this thread 30 inch barrels on the used market are not easy to re-sell. I find the Browning 725 32 inch sporting barrels a slimmer profile than the Beretta 680 series 32 inch barrels.and much easier to swing. Beretta does weigh their barrels with the barrel weight so stamped near the breech block. I have shot Beretta guns with a barrel
weight stamped 1.400 KG that were so much smoother than my own 32 inch barrels of 1.490 KG. So similar to a Browning 725 sporting.

Beretta's advantage is your can add different barrels of gauge and length ( or the 12 gauge frame) if you so desire.. Browning does not offer additional barrels for their shotguns unless offered as a factory built offering. My own Beretta sporting gun has 12 and 20 gauge barrels fitted to the same 12 gauge frame.

The Browning 725 and Beretta 680 series is the number 2 and 3 selling sporting guns in the United Kingdom accounting for over half of all the sporting shotguns sold. Likely not much different here in the US.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all the advice guys.

There's a 725 headed this way, looking forward to this delivery.

The adjustable comb really had my interest but fairly rare in leftys,

The 725 lefty was a limited run for 2019 shot show, didn't realize how limited they actually were,

until I decided to pull the trigger, There's only a few out there.

Had to make my move quickly, also a rebate that ends Monday.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A good Smith that works on competition guns, can cut it and add the adjustable comb hardware. It will look like it came that way from the factory.

Last edited by battue; 04/13/19.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Try make fine adjustments to your shooting. If your hits are causing the target to go down when hit, you are hitting the top of the clay. If it breaks up, you got it in the tail. Left, you hit the right side, right, you hit the left side. I wouldn't over analyze either. Make sure you are doing something consistently before you try to correct. Also don't aim it like a rifle, point it and concentrate on the target. This is where the adjustable comb others mentioned will come into play. If it is fitting you right, you should be able to close your eyes, mount the gun, and when you open your eyes you should be looking straight down the rib or making a figure 8 if it has two beads.

Also on trap, try to shoot early, as the longer you wait, the target transitions. Early it is rising, wait a bit and it is flat, wait a little longer and it is going down. By shooting early, you will always have a rising target. If you wait too long you will tend to miss over it as when you pull the trigger it has stopped rising and may in fact be dropping.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by battue
When the game came here there were a lot of 30’s being used. As the shooters became more experienced 32’s and 34 O/U’s became the normal. Today a 30 inch O/U is hard to get rid of amongst the SC crowd.

The Beretta 680 series may be the most durable O/U’s ever made. Also the easiest to rebuild.

Dedicated trap and SC guns, may have significant differences, depending on how serious one is for each game. An adjustable comb is you friend.

Just saw this thread.. battue, you have me curious.. Why the longer barrels for SC? It seems to me the extra length would be more of a hindrance than a benefit.. I admit I've only shot SC twice.. I just didn't enjoy it and thought the cost just didn't justify the participation.. FWIW.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Redneck
The theory is the longer barrel smoothens out your swing and promotes proper follow through. It doesn't always work though. I have a Benelli Super Sport with a 32" barrel. After I first got it and shot it a few rounds, had a heck of a time hitting with it. Was going to get rid of it but decided to try the weighted fore end cap that came with it (bought it used). That made a world of difference. Wasn't whippy anymore and followed through nicely.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
OK... I just wondered about those shorter shots (rabbit etc) and thought it would hinder the chances of a hit..

Funny - but right offhand I can't recall if my SKB TSS trap combo is 32/34 or 30/34.. laugh Guess I'll have to open up the case and look. Haven't shot it for about 8 years.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Which also reminds me.. Anybody interested in a like-new Ithaca/SKB Century II SBT?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
748 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 76 invisible), 2,969 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.