Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Esox357
Beware some landowners also post land private that is public.

I've seen it in Ms./Ga/Id/ & Fl. was discussing land showing ''public land'' on FL. game fish website with a Warden 3 weeks ago - fresh posted no trespassing signs for miles up the river . I'm going to make a stink about it real soon - they're going to have to sort this out .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yep, landowners are starting to complain that GPS are showing hunters where all the public land is,they can't get away with having their own personal public land now if it has access.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wytex

Hawk , was that on the Laramie side in 38? Might have been one of the Kennedy's. They think they own the whole country side and have been trying to get the state lands sold to them.

North of Cheyenne. North end of I believe Horse Creek Road.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

You guys have been a ton of help, thanks!

So I will keep this going here. I now have onX and it's interesting driving around seeing what's public/private and what public is hard to get to.

Quick "how" question (I hope!). OnX gives me the private owners, but often it's an out of the area address, or a LLC with a tax address that isn't at the land itself.

What is the best way to reach out to these owners? Email, phone, US mail....

What about a "ranch", knock on the door, or other approach?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I prefer to call first then offer to go by and meet face to face.
County tax office or GIS website will have the info then google then name that it gives you. Sometimes it's a cattle company or LLC like stated. Google enough pages and somewhere the corporate filling will come up with names or just google the address, the owners name may come up that way.
I make my calls mid morning or in evening after dark, early enough though ranchers get to bed early if not calving right now.

I found an owners name by finding a pic of a branding online that had a name.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by WyDave
Bob, not all Walk In Areas are private land either. Quite a bit of it is State land as well. The individual or company who has the grazing/timber/mineral rights to that leased land will petition the Game & Fish to have it declared a Walk In Area. So that now a piece of land that was open to all hunting and fishing is now under the limitations of whichever restrictions that they came up with for that particular Walk In. Which is usually whatever the land leaser wants them to be. Lost a few state sections North of Laramie Peak to that. Only open to late in the season cow tags now.

I am probably in trouble then because I usually treat the state land included in the walk in area as regular state land (except I don't drive in). I assumed it was included to make the mapping simpler and have all public land in one big blob. I did not realize they wanted to limit access and control species on the state land too. Good thing I only use walk in areas for ducks!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

You guys have been a ton of help, thanks!

So I will keep this going here. I now have onX and it's interesting driving around seeing what's public/private and what public is hard to get to.

Quick "how" question (I hope!). OnX gives me the private owners, but often it's an out of the area address, or a LLC with a tax address that isn't at the land itself.

Knock on the door, and bring some whiskey, beer or pie. Usually, when I get permission from someone (I don't ask much, I do not know hardly any ranchers) I make sure they get some good Perkins pies for thanksgiving etc. If you are going to stop and visit, have some small bottles of whiskey or something. If it turns positive, offer it as a gift.

W
W
Coyotejunki, if the lease holder is on the land for the purposes of the lease, the Walk-In restrictions don't apply to them. IF they are on the land for the purpose of hunting or fishing, they are supposed to come under the same restrictions that the public are held to.

Oakster, almost had my delicates in a vice over this, as that's what I believed also.

Have spoken with 2 different Game Wardens and 1 county Sheriff about the use of On-Xmaps. All three said that's what they use as a determining factor in the field. If the GPS WITH On-XMaps is used, and it's up to date, shows as good they wont write a violation. If they know for a fact that the Software is wrong they will just tell you to leave. Get belligerent and they'll cite and fine you.

My experience so far...

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Sorry to jump this back to the top, but more exploring my wife and I do the more questions we run into! Just want to make sure we don't get in any trouble.

We have found a 5000+ acre "state of WY" piece that is non-motorized and we've "wandered" it multiple times now, We stumbled onto a fence in the middle of it. OnX says the fence is well within the boundary, as in over a mile from either boundary We also have "chained" BLM and state land together, when combined with a large walkin, makes closer to 12,000+ acres of antelope and deer hunting.

Of course this brings a few questions:

- BLM land with a gate, says "keep gate closed" but there's a 2 track going through the gate, I THINK we can drive the 2 track and we just have to close the gate behind us.
- Walkin area connecting two legs of a "U" shaped BLM, my understanding is BLM I can follow 2 tracks and park anywhere, but walkin I have to park only where they say
- That walkin is labled to only be only 8/15 to 3/1. This is more of a question for OnX maybe, but on my phone the walkin isn't shown, but on the computer it is

We are really excited about this chunk of land, more land that we can learn and cover for this fall!

During today's scout, we glassed a bedded mulie doe tucked into the rocks, we actually got to 15 yards from it using terrain and rocks. Was really fun

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

- BLM land with a gate, says "keep gate closed" but there's a 2 track going through the gate, I THINK we can drive the 2 track and we just have to close the gate behind us. Correct. That is most likely an allotment gate but if it is BLM surface on both sides of the gate, you're golden to keep driving through. Close the gate behind you though if it asks you to.

- Walkin area connecting two legs of a "U" shaped BLM, my understanding is BLM I can follow 2 tracks and park anywhere, but walkin I have to park only where they say I don't know much about walk in areas, as I hunt almost entirely BLM/FS/state and walk in areas are normally private. The landowner can say to park only in designated areas where you can pull off the side of the road about anywhere on public surface. There may be some seasonal closures on BLM/FS/state surface, normally due to the WGFD wanting people to stay out of crucial winter range and/or fawning/calving areas, but they're normally in the spring and winter. These are normally road and vehicle closures....and you're free to walk around the area.

- That walkin is labled to only be only 8/15 to 3/1. This is more of a question for OnX maybe, but on my phone the walkin isn't shown, but on the computer it is Can't help you here. Sorry. I've found some incorrect maps on OnX. Is the mapping program on one older than the other? Some of OnX's stuff just shows private vs public land ownership, where their "hunting" series shows unit boundaries and walk in areas, etc.. Maybe that's the deal....Best to contact the landowner of the walk in and ask.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Walk in areas will have designated parking areas and marked roads open for travel.
Follow what is shown online on the WG&F website.
Get to know your local GW. here in Wyoming most of them are great folks that want to help you be legal and not just write you up. They will answer any questions you have.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

This is fun, but frustrating (if that makes sense), fun having so much land to explore, frustrating as I don't want to do the wrong thing, so couple more:

1) Large Walkin, the road, which has an easement for public use, wanders between BLM, state and walkin/private. got it OnX keeps me honest (and double checked with maps). On the walkin, the FG map of it has a single "parking" marked, it's WAY at the other end (probably 3 miles from the entry), but there are several "pull off roads" that have "road closed" signs, clearly I can't drive down them on the walk in, fair enough, but is it ok to park there and walk in? No fences or anything else.

2) Fences, not private ones, I get that, no jumping private fences. But what about state/BLM fences? I found a fairly good sized, but weird shaped BLM and I was out walking it. Dead center of it is a large state piece, fenced all the way around, it's 100% inside BLM land. I followed the fence for a good portion of it, no gates. So to hunt that state land, what are my options:
a) Jump the fence (4 strand barbwire, just a bit to high to "straddle over")
b) Find a spot where you can squeeze under or through the strands
c) Don't go in (which seems weird as its public land)

Several people have said "make friends with GF for the area", great idea, how? I'd hate to "run into one" while doing something wrong and then ask, how do you meet them?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

I spent a long weekend around Gillette stopping and asking for permission to hunt antelope. I had several offers to hunt private land but it was all guided in the $2300-$2700 range. I did locate one ranch, and one ranch only, that offered hunting for a $50 per day trespass fee. All the rest said NO. We ended up hunting public land. Several eluded to coming back after the first week of the season and then ask, implying there was a better chance or rate possibly being available.

Since then I've developed a friendship with a local Game Warden and although he has made suggestions on who to contact I'm still hunting public land.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
One of the best ways to get to know them is going to the public meetings about hunting seasons.
Call your GW and talk with him about the area you're looking into.
The state land may be fenced off for grazing purposes. If it's not enrolled in a walk in or HMA you can just go over or under the fence. I'm betting there is a gate somewhere though.
The parking on a walk in is tricky. Some will be designated parking areas only and some will allow use of roads marked with white arrows.
I would go down to your district office or local office and talk with the GW or Access Yes coordinator for you area.. Call the office and ask when the GW is in or talk with them about when you can go by for a face to face.

You will definitely have better chances at gaining access after opening week.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,654
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.