24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you lord for keeping this thread and Forum, "Creedmoor Free"...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by Ackman
Late last year a friend went to So. Africa. Even with a house full of guns he elected to not take his own over there, and use theirs instead. The rifle they supplied was an '06 with suppressor shooting factory 180gr Sierras. He was also after plains game and shot many animals from warthog size, up to about 900lbs. All were one shot kills and all but one went completely through.

Pro-Hunters or GameKings?

I wasn't told.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cascade

Late last year a friend went to So. Africa. Even with a house full of guns he elected to not take his own over there, and use theirs instead. The rifle they supplied was an '06 with suppressor shooting factory 180gr Sierras. He was also after plains game and shot many animals from warthog size, up to about 900lbs. All were one shot kills and all but one went completely through.

That's a really nice option. Attractive. No travel hassles with the rifle, etc.

I haven't seen ol' JJ Hack post in quite a while, but I remember that he kept a pair of nice Winchester Model 70's over there for his clients, one in 30-06, the other in 375 H&H.

I think I'd enjoy hunting with my rifle more, but... I like rifles in general. Using a nicely set up rifle like the suppressed 30-06 you mention would be just peachy.

Thanks for the thought.

Guy

My friend didn't want to mess with sending guns all the way to SA. But after the 7 day hunt, he and wife spent another 7 or so days watching animals in a preserve. I was thinking they'd have him using a .375 or something similar, but that '06 was the outfitter's own custom Husqvarna. And it was perfect.

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jorgeI

LOL! smile

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Well, being you mentioned it.... shocked

laugh

DF

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have spent considerable time in Africa with a number of PH's, and have spent considerable time talking with them. (There were at least 6 on a month-long cull hunt in 2007.) One of the questions I always ask is what they advise for plains-game clients--and what rifles they load/rent, of any. The .30-06 and 7mm Remington Magnum have been the only chamberings I recall in rental/loan rifles, and the .375 H&H for dangerous game.

However, Finn Aagaard usually rented a .270 Winchester for clients who didn't bring their own "light" rifles. His estimate, of I recall correctly, is that only about a third of his clients could shoot any .300 magnum to be effective on plains game.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My friend didn't want to mess with sending guns all the way to SA. But after the 7 day hunt, he and wife spent another 7 or so days watching animals in a preserve. I was thinking they'd have him using a .375 or something similar, but that '06 was the outfitter's own custom Husqvarna. And it was perfect.

I went to the Karoo in 2017.
Same story as your buddy, hunting for 7 days but "in country for 15".
I rented a Sako .308 that harvested over 30 animals on a cull and trophy hunt.
Worked great on wildebeest, hartebeest, blesbok, springbok and kudu.
No problems.

In less than 3 weeks I head to Namibia, Zim & Botswana for 3 weeks,
(I figure why fly all those hours and not spend a little more time looking around in a few countries).

Anyway, I'm renting again. PH asked what caliber I preferred....".308 would be fine".

Not.

Was enformed that the "smallest" available was .300 win.
Oh.

Ok.
I guess the kudu and gemsbok are huge.
It'll work out, but I sold my .300 SAUM for a reason.

Last edited by wageslave; 04/30/19. Reason: Clarity

Have Dog

Will Travel

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The practical solution is to use what the PH has, but I envy the good old days when Roy Weatherby or Elmer Keith would hunt for a month or more with a veritable arsenal of rifles. Sometimes six or eight. Weatherby did one hunt with every caliber they had at the time. Jack O'Conner had a funny comment after talking to Elmer Keith who was preparing for his first African hunt and spouting off about 577 this and 450/400 that and O'Conner said" that and two bits will get you a cup of coffee." (A pre-inflation cup).

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tejano,

When did Elmer Keith take 6-8 rifles to Africa? I have read his writings about his two times in Africa, and don't recall him taking more than two rifles on either hunt, ans that was on his first trip, described extensively in his book SAFARI (and yes I have a copy). On the other safari I believe he only brought a big double, but used a borrowed .375 H&H for some smaller stuff,

Roy Weatherby and his companions did use several Weatherby rifles.

Have spent as long as a month in Africa on cull hunts, using up to three rifles personally, and accompanying companions where they used rifles chambered for more than 6-8 cartridges, and a far wider variety of bullets than Keith, O'Connor or Weatherby.

Craig Boddington has spent far more time in Africa than Keith and O'Connor combined, sometimes 2-3 months in one year to several countries.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

There is theory and reality. Taking a single rifle is manageable and not terribly inconvenient. Taking two rifles increases the difficulty about 4x. Three rifles, well have seen it done by one guy...his decision negatively impacted all of his traveling companions.

All you need is a rifle that is reliable enough to fire 20-30 cartridges. You are not going to invade a small colony of wildebeest or engage in combat with a herd of zebra.

Last edited by RinB; 04/30/19.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Since the majority of the Afrikaners I hung with in SA were Biltong Hunters or Cullers, they were big on "head shots". The same as our wild game cullers in the Hill country of Texas/Exotic Ranches do. The cullers/wild game shooters I met near leakey all used the 22-250/55gr, all head shooters. So the 6.5 Creedmoor (which subject comes up) would seem to me to be a "natural" for the same purpose. Easy to shoot, accurate, and affordable ammo for the non-Professionals who don't handload. Same as the .308 does there. Not many Americans who go on trophy hunts "head shoot anything", ha. No, it's a "fun adventure"...use a rifle that you love, have a history with, something that's more than "just a tool". Just use Barnes (:)) and shoot them right. But best of all...have fun! Life is short....

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 05/01/19.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have spent considerable time in Africa with a number of PH's, and have spent considerable time talking with them. (There were at least 6 on a month-long cull hunt in 2007.) One of the questions I always ask is what they advise for plains-game clients--and what rifles they load/rent, of any. The .30-06 and 7mm Remington Magnum have been the only chamberings I recall in rental/loan rifles, and the .375 H&H for dangerous game.

However, Finn Aagaard usually rented a .270 Winchester for clients who didn't bring their own "light" rifles. His estimate, of I recall correctly, is that only about a third of his clients could shoot any .300 magnum to be effective on plains game.

John,
My limited experience (3 trips) yielded pretty much the same answers you received. My first PH had .308, 30-06 and .22 hornet as his main rental rifles. The second PH had a 7mm-08, and a 300WM (suppressed) for rental. Both had .375 H&H for the big stuff.

From what I've seen/read in the past few years is that now nearly every outfitter's rifle has suppressors for a variety of reasons - easy recoil for all shooters no matter the size of cartridge, along with the reduction of noise in spooking game.

He went over yonder way
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
With a 180 grain bullet at 2900 FPS you're not full Magnum, but your comfortable Magnum. You're still 150-200 FPS above a .30-06, and it's not loosening your dentures. To me that's an ideal load.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

The 375 is major league cool though. And in the past I've shot it pretty danged well. I seem to be aging faster than the rifle. We will see.

Guy

I would lean this direction but for insurance I would load up some 235 grain Speers or any good 250 grain bullet as a lower recoil back up, maybe just load them till they shoot to the same point of impact as your primary load. A good 250 like the Swift will cover all the plains game if you wanted to only have one load and I can feel the difference betweed them and a full power 300 grain load as far as recoil is concerned.

I would also see if the PH has a camp rifle just in case. I forget which PH it was but for a two gun choice they recommended the 243 and a 375. Some would even use the 243 for baited leopard. At least three of the PH's in Boddingtons Safari Rifles book picked this combo. The only thing is don't shoot so many practice rounds you develop a flinch. Maybe stop every ten shots or so and do a couple of dry firing rounds to double check. It seems some days recoil affects me more than others and if that happens stop and shoot a rimfire or something low recoil. Hunting jack rabbits with a 22 shooting off shooting sticks is great practice. The 375 works pretty well on Jacks too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tejano

The 375 is major league cool though. And in the past I've shot it pretty danged well. I seem to be aging faster than the rifle. We will see.

Guy

Hunting jack rabbits with a 22 shooting off shooting sticks is great practice. The 375 works pretty well on Jacks too.

Good evidnece here on the Fire that a .460 Wby works well, too... cool

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tejano,

When did Elmer Keith take 6-8 rifles to Africa? .

May have been wrong on that one. It was based on that conversation he had with Jack OConner prior to his first African trip and a photo of him with about 5 or 6 double rifles so he may only have been contemplating taking several at that time. The photo may have been from after both African trips not sure.

I think Weatherby went with Elgin Gates on one trip and the combined total number of rifles looked like enough for a small military platoon.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Roy went on his first safari with some friends, and everybody was using Weatherby rifles! There were some interesting revelations, especially on Roy's part about the "magic" of super high velocity that didn't quite match up with his previous notions. His journal was printed in Weatherby, the Man, The Gun, the Legend by Grits and Tom Gresham. It's well worth buying a copy just to read the journals, but its also a very fine chronicle of the Weatherby story.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Haven't read all 4 pages, but must recount the Harry Selby "rifle" - a Rem. 721 in 30-06 - push feed too. Selby wrote (Mar. 2012 Rifleman) that the rifle was responsible for hundreds of African plains game and an occasional "bad boy". Mounted on it was a "high quality" 4x Redfield.
Unfortunately, there was no mention of bullet style or weight but probably nothing too flashy.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Haven't read all 4 pages, but must recount the Harry Selby "rifle" - a Rem. 721 in 30-06 - push feed too. Selby wrote (Mar. 2012 Rifleman) that the rifle was responsible for hundreds of African plains game and an occasional "bad boy". Mounted on it was a "high quality" 4x Redfield.
Unfortunately, there was no mention of bullet style or weight but probably nothing too flashy.

Since my primary hunting rifle is a 30-06 Rem 700 with a 6x scope, I like what you've just written about Selby's rifle. smile

Mine has only taken pronghorn, deer, elk, black bear, grizzly and wolf so far. I think it deserves a trip to Africa.

Regards, Guy

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looking at plains game

My Rem 700 30-06

Thanks, Guy

After you return and show pics of fantastic trophies, you'll probably hear more critics mention you didn't use a CRF extractor.
I hope you enjoy your hunt!

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,372 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.