Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gunner500
Good stuff right there DF, Congrats! too your Bud, you NEED to crack that checkbook and join him, it will be experiences you'll remember everyday for the rest of your life. smile

Where have I heard that before....? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I asked about time and weather. Got this text:

“Mornings 48 to 50 it is 6:51 pm we are sitting at fire pit waiting on dinner, gourmet food”.

Asked him to take pictures of the camp.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Gunner, he just killed a 44” sable, third largest ever killed on that concession. I’ll post photo Monday at the office. Home computer being upgraded to fixed wireless from DSL, few bugs to be worked out.

I’m enjoying watching him, have no desire to go myself.

DF

NICE! on the Sable, waiting to see it, and dang ? on the no desire part.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Good stuff right there DF, Congrats! too your Bud, you NEED to crack that checkbook and join him, it will be experiences you'll remember everyday for the rest of your life. smile

Where have I heard that before....? grin

Everywhere? ; ]

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Gunner, he just killed a 44” sable, third largest ever killed on that concession. I’ll post photo Monday at the office. Home computer being upgraded to fixed wireless from DSL, few bugs to be worked out.

I’m enjoying watching him, have no desire to go myself.

DF

NICE! on the Sable, waiting to see it, and dang ? on the no desire part.

Sable and shots of the camp, which he described as first class.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I asked about time and weather. Got this text:

“Mornings 48 to 50 it is 6:51 pm we are sitting at fire pit waiting on dinner, gourmet food”.

Asked him to take pictures of the camp.

DF

That text was around 11 AM, CST, so they were 8 time zones ahead of us.

He’s back in Louisiana and according to his sister who picked him up at the airport, tired but pumped. Haven’t spoken yet, I’ll give him time to catch up on his sleep.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mr DF, with all due respect sir, you need an attitude adjustment on this Africa hunting denial thing......... whistle

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Mr DF, with all due respect sir, you need an attitude adjustment on this Africa hunting denial thing......... whistle

Thanks JG.

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Which outfitter and area?

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RinB

Which outfitter and area?

Don’t know. Will find out.

DF

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Just talked to my buddy. He slept for 12 hrs., is up and about, at the office.

He hunted with Charyl Van Riesen at Infinito Safaris. Charyl owns 20,000 acres at the main camp, hunted an 8,000 concession an hour and half away (Sable).

It's in Buffalo Valley 1 1/2 hr from Jberg. They rode thru the countryside passing villages, etc. My buddy suggested they stop and take a leak. Driver said it wasn't safe to stop, so they drove on.

Van Riesen is a lawyer, gave it up to become a full time PH. His Dad was an attorney, did the same thing. My bud is a lawyer; they really hit it off.

He said everything is high fenced, even the crops with pivot irrigation, high fenced with razor wire. SA is a major supplier of table grapes, all those farms are high fenced with razor wire to keep out poachers, etc. The dirt is a gritty, red sand, but fertile when irrigation. They get 30" rain per year. Lots of orange groves, potato farms.

One of the hunting group (4 guys) goes to his church; it's his 13th Safari. Having insider connections like that does help.

He's already booked for Cape buff next year. I'm working on his .416 Rem, an old .264 WM push feed M-70 that he was given. It now wears a #5, 24" Shilen, put together by David Christman, Delhi,LA, a Guild member and 1st class smith. I just Steel Bedded it, mounted the Trijicon 1-6x24 that we picked up used here on the Fire. I already had Talley bases for mag M-70 that I sent to David to mount with 8x40 screws. I got Talley QD rings on EBay with screws instead of levers, as the gun has no irons. He picked up 350 gr. Speer bullets and brass. I'm going to load some less than full house loads to shoot hogs, etc, so he can get used to it.. It'll be ready when it's time to go.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Forgot to mention, the Van Riesen family has been in SA for 400 years.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
buffybr,

Actually, I semi-retired this year--if you can all its that. Signed up for Social Security the first year they couldn't deduct anything if it made "too much money otherwise, which allowed me to drop my lowest-paying magazine market, which was about half my work-load in "paper" magazines.

But still am committed to doing at least a couple dozen paper-magazine articles a year, as well as a few dozen on the Internet. Oh, and a book every other year, due the( slave-driving CEO of riflesandrecipes.com.) So am not exactly retired yet, though do plan on fishing a LOT more....

Lena???

John, if ever I make the long plane ride back over again I'll take my FN98 Husqvarna 9,3X62...period. It shoots as far as I can shoot, and it'll handle most everything adequately.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love the sable !! Great photo.

I want to go back. The next time it's going to be a cull hunt. Lots of zebra, wildebeest, eland---------lots of stalks---lots of shooting. I don't care about size or trophies. Just take a bunch of photos.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Just talked to my buddy. He slept for 12 hrs., is up and about, at the office.

He hunted with Charyl Van Riesen at Infinito Safaris. Charyl owns 20,000 acres at the main camp, hunted an 8,000 concession an hour and half away (Sable).

It's in Buffalo Valley 1 1/2 hr from Jberg. They rode thru the countryside passing villages, etc. My buddy suggested they stop and take a leak. Driver said it wasn't safe to stop, so they drove on.

Van Riesen is a lawyer, gave it up to become a full time PH. His Dad was an attorney, did the same thing. My bud is a lawyer; they really hit it off.

He said everything is high fenced, even the crops with pivot irrigation, high fenced with razor wire. SA is a major supplier of table grapes, all those farms are high fenced with razor wire to keep out poachers, etc. The dirt is a gritty, red sand, but fertile when irrigation. They get 30" rain per year. Lots of orange groves, potato farms.

One of the hunting group (4 guys) goes to his church; it's his 13th Safari. Having insider connections like that does help.

He's already booked for Cape buff next year. I'm working on his .416 Rem, an old .264 WM push feed M-70 that he was given. It now wears a #5, 24" Shilen, put together by David Christman, Delhi,LA, a Guild member and 1st class smith. I just Steel Bedded it, mounted the Trijicon 1-6x24 that we picked up used here on the Fire. I already had Talley bases for mag M-70 that I sent to David to mount with 8x40 screws. I got Talley QD rings on EBay with screws instead of levers, as the gun has no irons. He picked up 350 gr. Speer bullets and brass. I'm going to load some less than full house loads to shoot hogs, etc, so he can get used to it.. It'll be ready when it's time to go.

DF

[quote=Dirtfarmer]Just talked to my buddy. He slept for 12 hrs., is up and about, at the office.

DF[/quote

As an FYI, Infinito Safaris is owned and run by Charl van Rooyen. Damn nice guy and a good PH.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Guess he spelled the name wrong. Thanks for that correction.

Right about a first class operation and PH.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good stuff DF, Thanks for the relays, hell of a Sable too, and LOL JGRaider ; ]

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Bud said van Rooyen was appreciative of not having to track down wounded animals. I can see that. Evidently it doesn't work out like that every time.

If I was a PH, I'd appreciate a hunter with skills to drop critters without botched shots. And, my bud and his party tipped them well.

That's the way you get invited back, get access to special deals, etc.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/21/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good stuff DF, Thanks for the relays, hell of a Sable too, and LOL JGRaider ; ]

Gunner, the two pictures are of the same sable, just positioned differently. They finally went with the 44" measurement.

van Rooyen's own mounted sable at his camp is 42". Evidently this one is really special. My bud is jacked up about it, will look great in his camp.

Here are some other critters he killed, all with one shot, either DRT or not traveling more than a few yards.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Bottom line, the 160 gr. Accubond at 3,000 fps is deadly on PG in the hands of a marksman who can put them where they need to go.

Check out JGRaider's thread, 'I Suck". You'll find similar results with that same bullet, same round.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/23/19.
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
194 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 17 invisible), 1,551 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.