Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Looking at plains game, gemsbok in particular. Probably Namibia. Something about those gemsbok... Never hunted Africa before. I'm most interested in gemsbok, kudu, wildebeest and warthog. Gemsbok topping the list. Way ahead of everything else.

Normally I hunt with a 30-06 & 165 gr Noslers, I have shot three black bear with my 375 H&H Ruger Number One, just because I enjoy the heck out of that rifle. With the 375 I have only hunted with the 260 gr Accubond, and have been very impressed. The 30-06 though hasn't disappointed. It's brought me antelope, mule deer, black bear, elk, wolf and grizzly. I've used both the 165's and the 200 gr Nosler Partitions.

My Rem 700 30-06 has a 6x Leupold (36mm version) and the 375 Number One has an older 3x Leupold. Both are sighted-in at 200 yards.

Thoughts on which rifle I ought to take? They've both been successful and frankly, I don't have a favorite between them. The 30-06 is a little more accurate, but both are just fine in that department.

Thanks, Guy

BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Having been three time, and taken all you are after with my 8x57, I would say whatever you shoot best. Either would work.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Having been three time, and taken all you are after with my 8x57, I would say whatever you shoot best. Either would work.

I agree. Either should serve you well. I have been there twice and toted a Remington 700 in .338 Win Mag. I have no regrets but either of your favorites will work.
donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your 30-06 will suffice.

Nothing wrong with 375 though.

I'm on my second trip using 168 Barnes in my 300WSM.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I have been around 24 times.

Remember that you will be shooting multiple times a day. I have taken many folks on their first trips. I have never seen anyone using a 375 or 338 maintain their shooting ability over the course of a seven to ten day trip. In NA you may shoot a couple of shots a week. Not so on a plains game hunt. NOTE: the guys I took were not participants on this forum.

A 30/06 with a 165-168 monolithic bullet is perfect. Complete penetration helps with tracking and recovery. I have used a 270 with 130’s and never had a problem on anything, including Eland, so your 30/06 will be just fine. If you insist on Partitions then use 180 or 200 grain bullets. The shots will be within 275 yards.

I have used the 6-36 two or three times. Worked well but I have a slight preference for a 3x9. A fixed 3x isn’t enough.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B2

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What RinB said....that’s about as good as it gets for advice and backed up by tons of experience.

For my two plains game trips my .325 with 200 grain aframes and 180 grain TSX works just grand.

Namibia is wonderful gemsbok are way cool. Don’t ignore the red hartebeest or the Hartman’s zebra.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RinB

Remember that you will be shooting multiple times a day. I have taken many folks on their first trips. I have never seen anyone using a 375 or 338 maintain their shooting ability over the course of a seven to ten day trip. In NA you may shoot a couple of shots a week. Not so on a plains game hunt. NOTE: the guys I took were not participants on this forum.

A 30/06 with a 165-168 monolithic bullet is perfect. Complete penetration helps with tracking and recovery. I have used a 270 with 130’s and never had a problem on anything, including Eland, so your 30/06 will be just fine. If you insist on Partitions then use 180 or 200 grain bullets. The shots will be within 275 yards.

I have used the 6-36 two or three times. Worked well but I have a slight preference for a 3x9. A fixed 3x isn’t enough.

yup.....pretty sage advice.....the.30-06 is still the best thing a going.....add ammo availability and you have it in spades.

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks guys - sometimes I wonder why I own a 375, other than it's a cool cartridge and I shoot the rifle well.

The ol' 30-06 seems to do everything I ask.

Regards, Guy

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

That's a LOT of trips to Africa! smile Outstanding!

Thanks.

Guy

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

yep, discussion over

Arcus Venator
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cascade
sometimes I wonder why I own a 375, other than it's a cool cartridge and I shoot the rifle well.

The ol' 30-06 seems to do everything I ask.

Regards, Guy

The 375 is for your 2nd trip for cape buffalo! laugh

Do or do not, there is no try.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And +3 on what RinB said!

Do or do not, there is no try.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've been hunting all my life and I'm 71 years old and you guys make me feel so inadequate. I've only hunted outside Texas once or twice in my life. I've hunted Whitetail and hogs mostly. But I'd give my left Testicle to go on one plains game hunt. The only thing I have to add here is in my limited experience the .30-06 can do it all and the .270 isn't far behind. Now I don't think i'd take it after elephant or Buff, but there was a guy I've read about that didn't do bad with a lowly 7x57 so if you did your homework an 06 would do it in a pinch. Y'all keep talkin' and I'll keep listening. This is as interesting as it gets.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing interesting about it, the 30-06 is plain old boring effective.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The .30-06 won't just "do in a pinch" on plains game, it will flat do.

May not have shot as many plains game animals as RinB (who I know well), but have been month-long cull/meat hunters with a lot of other people, so have witnessed far more hunters in action (and cartridges, and bullets) than just those used by me. In general, the .30-06 is more effective than larger cartridges (even with such "antique" bullets as the Nosler Partition) because it doesn't normally result in a flinch during a 10-14 day safari, unlike harder-kicking cartridges. Here ist should be mentioned that you probably won't be shooting just at game, but also "check-shooting" the rifle every 2-3 days, to make sure the scope is still on after bouncing around in a Land Cruiser.

Have hunted with people who can shoot harder-kicking rounds consistently on such a safari, but they are in the minority. Finn Aagaard was of the same opinion, estimating that only about a third of his clients could consistently shoot .300 magnums accurately. Part of the reason is that the typical safari client tends to be older, because that's when they can afford it, and consequently may not be quite as recoil-resistant as they were when younger.

There's another factor: Cartridges harder-kicking than the .30-06 also tend to be tougher on scopes. Have seen plenty of previously reliable scopes, costing up to well over $1000, fail on a safari, not just because of bouncing around in a Land Cruiser but because the rifles they were on really hadn't been shot all that much beforehand. This was because the rifles kicked a little too much for their owners to really practice--which also means really proving the scope.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Looking at plains game, gemsbok in particular. Probably Namibia. Something about those gemsbok... Never hunted Africa before. I'm most interested in gemsbok, kudu, wildebeest and warthog. Gemsbok topping the list. Way ahead of everything else.

Normally I hunt with a 30-06 & 165 gr Noslers, I have shot three black bear with my 375 H&H Ruger Number One, just because I enjoy the heck out of that rifle. With the 375 I have only hunted with the 260 gr Accubond, and have been very impressed. The 30-06 though hasn't disappointed. It's brought me antelope, mule deer, black bear, elk, wolf and grizzly. I've used both the 165's and the 200 gr Nosler Partitions.

My Rem 700 30-06 has a 6x Leupold (36mm version) and the 375 Number One has an older 3x Leupold. Both are sighted-in at 200 yards.

Thoughts on which rifle I ought to take? They've both been successful and frankly, I don't have a favorite between them. The 30-06 is a little more accurate, but both are just fine in that department.

Thanks, Guy

Take them both.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had great luck with the 30-06 and 165 grain monos on plains game. Nothing required a second shot or went very far. The 30-06 was one that our PHs really liked to see in camp. There was also a guy in camp that brought a 257 Weatherby loaded with partitions. He shot gemsbok, zebra, wildebeest without trouble. I can't imagine having an issue with a 30-06 and partitions for the game you listed.

Last edited by TxHunter80; 04/11/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Normally I hunt with a 30-06 & 165 gr Noslers,

You can stop right there,,,

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I built my 300 H&H because of the historical factor and to pair with my 375 H&H. I do not load it to 300 magnum levels, more to 30-06 plus P levels.

Mule Deer is spot on about shooting, practice and testing equipment.

On my first trip to Africa I shot hundreds of rounds In my 300 H&H, 9.3x64 Brenneke, and 375 H&H. I took the 300 and the 180gr TTSX worked perfectly at a sedate 2900 fps and the PH stated to "not change a thing".

My second trip to Africa, I shot close to 600 rounds through my 375 H&H and 404 Jeffery.

You are confident in your 30-06 and 165 partitions. My only advice is to shoot it a bunch before you go. The combo will work, the only failure could be a scope going bad, or the nut squeezing the trigger. grin

The scope issue can be worked out before hand by shooting a bunch and taking a spare along on your trip. The nut squeezing the trigger......that is all up to you. cool

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I will echo what others have said about PH's being happy to see a 30-06 come out of a case during "sight in" (mostly a way of checking the capability of the hunter). They had lots of stories about hunters who couldn't hit schidt with their magnums.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
148 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 1minute, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.