Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got a fall bear hunt in south central Alaska and Im wanting to shoot some birds after I (hopefully) get my sons their first bears.

If anyone can guide me on bird gun choice and any good reference material for how to find them. Ive heard an.22 is good, but Im more use to shotguns for birds. But Im a total newbie to hunting these birds.

Thanks in advance.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Either one would work fine. Ptarmigan might be hard to find depending on the timeframe, I have mostly hunted them in the winter. I mostly spot and stalk grouse. If they fly off they usually don't go too far and you can track them down.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I always used a 22 or my 32 revolver given the choice. I shot hundreds of grouse and ptarmigan and only once got into ptarmigan where I thought they were skittish enough to warrant wing shooting.

The first time I ever shot any grouse when I first moved up I of course took a shotgun since we were bird hunting. I shot 6 grouse out of the same tree after throwing sticks in an effort to make them fly. As I shot them off the limbs none ever even flew to escape!

I once headshot either 7 or 8 ptarmigan off the same tussock about as fast as I could work the bolt on my 77/22. I guess they were walking by and hopping up on the hump in a single file line. Had them all in a stack like a shooting gallery!

Whatever you choose have fun and enjoy them as they’re fine eating.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Hold on Sitka Deer is reading an article on this and will then reply.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pistoles are a given.

Scatterguns a lark.

Hint...……………...

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AndySpencer
Got a fall bear hunt in south central Alaska and Im wanting to shoot some birds after I (hopefully) get my sons their first bears.

If anyone can guide me on bird gun choice and any good reference material for how to find them. Ive heard an.22 is good, but Im more use to shotguns for birds. But Im a total newbie to hunting these birds.

Thanks in advance.

It depends on what you want to get from shooting the birds. If it is about making a neat little stack of bodies a 22 is tough to beat. If you actually want to shoot them flying the shotgun is your only real choice.

A Contender with a 45Colt barrel with a screw-in tube shooting 410 shells is compact and the shells are fairly light.

Hunting European red grouse is reverred around the world yet most seem to make snide cracks about them here. I have not shot one sitting in years. In addition to the red grouse, which is actually our willow ptarmigan, we have rock and white-tailed ptarmigan. I might be misremembering, but this may be the only place where you can hunt all three.

They have an interesting call and after flushing they regroup. Bring a chucker call with you and tap it fairly fast with the finger tips and birds will call to let you know where they are.

They will tend to be in the blueberry patches at or above tree line... right where the bears will be hanging in the fall.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Pistoles are a given.

Scatterguns a lark.

Hint...……………...

Just the type of comment many will give about our tame birds. Everywhere else birds that "hold tight for the dog" is thought of as a good thing. It is all about what you want out of the shoot...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pard's .410 revolver has produced both types of chickens for camp.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is the type of call I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Primos-Hunting-347-Magnum-Chukar/dp/B001OPTJUC

In calm weather you can tap it fast and light with just your fingertips and they will often start calling which is a big help in big country.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In the fall it will be hard to tell young birds from old but the sexes in adult birds can be told by the red eye patches in the males. The birds in the videos are obviously spring males because they change to spring colors early as these birds are. Hens turn gradually over the whole body.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Pard's .410 revolver has produced both types of chickens for camp.

1) Eatin' type?

2) Flinchin' type?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Spruce chikkens and ptarmy chikkens.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I mostly shoot sitting birds. Just in case tho, I favor carrying my 20. smile

I have a came-to-me very gun/loud-noise-shy dog that I'm working her out of, so last fall I used an air rifle. Didn't even try a flying shot. First hunt I had to show her what to do. Second hunt, she was "I got this! - still don't like guns."

Will graduate to sub-sonic .22 next, then real ammo, and if that works ok, the 20. She's a smart dog and a hunting fool now. It will work. But she won't ever like guns.

I really don't give a crap if they are sitting or flying. Well, actually I do, but then I'm not very PC...... and am ammo conscious..... smile

Head shots are good with either firearm for meat in the pot, but the 20 is more certain for ANY meat in the pot, especially flying . flying shots are more fun when they work.

Last edited by las; 04/11/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Spruce chikkens and ptarmy chikkens.

Wow, aren't we a racissss?

What about ruffed chickens? Sharp-tail chickens? Rock chickens? White-tailed chickens? Willow chickens?

wink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Species-ist.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sniff! Sniff!

Dat's one of the nicest things you ever said to me!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm going a different route. I'm looking for an O/U 28 gauge for those jokers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hudge
I'm going a different route. I'm looking for an O/U 28 gauge for those jokers.

I've taken an interest in the 28 as well.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got a 410 O/U for the job...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
656 members (12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 77 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,612
Posts18,398,407
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.