Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
My son and I are going to do a Caribou hunt in August and are thinking of driving up Haul Road then packing in. Also weighing option of fly in/out drop camp, depending on cost. Bucket list hunt for me. Appreciate any advice you guys from there would have.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
BP-B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At one point flying in was pretty damn reasonable. Not anymore they charging 2 grand a head now days.. doing the 5 mile walk is not a walk in the park, it sucks a$$. Stop in Tok get two 40 mile fall permits and head up the Taylor hwy around mile post 90 start looking..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The demand for fly-in hunts with reputable outfits far exceeds the supply and often requires a year or two on a wait list.

Caribou herds in North America have suffered, resulting in concentrated hunting pressure in a few herds.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 79S
At one point flying in was pretty damn reasonable. Not anymore they charging 2 grand a head now days.. doing the 5 mile walk is not a walk in the park, it sucks a$$. Stop in Tok get two 40 mile fall permits and head up the Taylor hwy around mile post 90 start looking..

Bad idea. Bad, bad idea. Stay away from the Taylor.

That's what I'm doing.... smile.

I know a place up there - a 6 mile hike in, but a sort of funnel, where I will set up camp. Sit there and watch while the roadies push them back to me from one direction, and the migration comes from the other. Wood and water available, tho in a dry spell, I may have to pack the latter a half mile or so if I can't catch rain. Hunting without moving first light to last. From camp. Option to hike farther in if I want.

If nothing else, it's a damned nice camping trip. Been there, done that. Would post some pics, but photobucket has restricted my account. Still have to lose 350 pics...or pay them $5/mo. ( Like that's going to happen)

Last edited by las; 04/11/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's been a long time since i've been up there but we use to park at Galbreath Lake and walk the edge of the mountain in as far as we could, find a good place to camp and hunt from there. Walking along the base of the mountain makes the walking easier as you don't have a lot of tussocks to deal with going in or out but obvisouly you will have to deal with them while hunting. Not sure how the caribou hunting is along that route though, like I said, it's been a long time since i've hunted up there. We've also done the 5 mile death march and that is not a lot of fun, esepcially when you're walking by caribou that are within the 5 mile corridor and those tussocks will wear you out. And bring bug dope, when you get a caribou down you'll be glad to have it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just drive your truck in, you can do it!

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

wink

To the OP Sitka deer is joking about this. Don’t drive your truck out in the tundra.. it will be a bad day for you and your truck..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 79S

wink

To the OP Sitka deer is joking about this. Don’t drive your truck out in the tundra.. it will be a bad day for you and your truck..

And don't have a friend drive in behind you to pull you out!

Yes. It's been tried.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sling arrows.....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Take toilet paper.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 79S

wink

Yes. It's been tried.

They just need a 5 mile cable...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 79S

This.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 79S

wink

Yes. It's been tried.

If only Safariman had been there.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by 79S

This.

40 mile available in Aug?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by 79S

This.

40 mile available in Aug?

Looks like on or around the 10th for opener, Mike.. And what do you care, you rat? You have a permit here on the Kenai. (That one was mine, you know!)

Hard to tell when the caribou will be accessible off the Taylor, or how long season will last (closure by EO, when they estimate 1,000 caribou have been taken). Last time I was up there was about 10 years ago. Caribou everywhere as we walked in Aug 9 and 10 on an attempted sheep hunt . Got stormed/short-timed out on that, and killed one (almost two) on the way back out to the truck where we learned season was closing at midnight, Aug 13.. Had we known that, we would have dropped 2 more with the first- we all had permits. Season lasted 3 days, with an over-quota harvest, so the next year they moved opener to Sept 1, but it looks like it is back to August 10 or thereabouts . Probably meaning few caribou around early on, unlike our last trip up. Stupid animals! smile

My yarn on that should be in the archives. All my pics from that are in my locked Photobucket account. (too many pics- the bastids)

On 3 successive hunts in mid 70's off the Taylor (18 mile backpack in), I never saw a caribou during our August sheep hunts.

Rereading my previous post I used bad wording- indicating I be staying away from the Taylor.. Nope - that is where I'm headed most likely. Gotta talk to Tok biologist some then make a SWAG guess as to when caribou might be there. Unlike all my previous trips up the Taylor, time is not much of a factor. I am retired now, by damn!

Still, the Taylor is a helluva nice area for a camping trip. Good news is my prelim research earlier today indicates something in excess of 70K animals. And still growing. It ain't Western Arctic's 215K, but it will have to do. I'm gonna miss shooting them from the snow machine up there - I killed 4 winter 2017/18 - stocking my freezer down here, and only one was more than 4 miles from the Kotzebue apartment. That last sausage bull Feb 2, 2018 was about 9 miles out. Easy meat.

From last Taylor hunt:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by las; 04/12/19.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by 79S

wink

Yes. It's been tried.

If only Safariman had been there.

At least someone got it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I remember reading about those two yahoos well before moving to Alaska. I remember when I got to JBER in 2011, and the wildlife guy on base told us not to even attempt to drive in off the haul. I knew what he was talking about, others not so much.

I am hoping to hit the Taylor this year as well. My issue is purely timing though. The son will be graduating from Basic Training in late July, and I'll be leaving the sandbox for good late July/early August.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was a very expensive lesson.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And the voles there were traumatized!

I can only imagine what those guys' NCOs and officers had to say, or the razzing they got from their fellows.

Last edited by las; 04/12/19.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was a very expensive lesson.

Didn't one of the oil companies finally help them guys out?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.